When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Punctuality

tankster

I'm curious how this gang feels about "on time"?

What is your personal MO about adhering to a schedule? I, for one, am compulsively punctual, and am always landing up early for appointments, flights etc. I think this (sometimes annoying) habit arose as compensation for watching my dad always cut it really really fine when it came to getting to meetings...he hated "wasting time" as he called it, and planned things down to the very minute. We were always the family that boarded the plane just as the doors were closing ;)

I am therefore pretty "anal", as the Yanquis say, about getting there early. And get irritated by others who are late (years of therapy, I know!)

What about you? All those COSC-precise watches, are we putting them to good use?

My thoughts would reflect many of the things you have commented on.

I too am a very punctual person. I feel that punctuality reflects many characteristics of a person. Organisation, planning, time managemtn to mention a few.

I always make sure that I have time to arrive somewhere of importance, I go by the Navy rule of being on time is being five minutes early. If you arrive on time, you are already five minutes late :)

I follow Timon and Pumba's philosophy of ... "a'kuna ma tata" ... got no worries. Sometimes I am on time, sometimes early, sometimes late. If others who are meeting me are late it is no bother to me at all ... I have something interesting about watches to read with me at all times. Cell phones have made life very easy for me. I think that it is my personality to not to take myself and others too seriously.

I can understand how someone else may feel differently because they may not have the same control of their career or business. When I first went into business I needed other people more than they needed me and my philosophy was very different than it is now. Today, after a quarter century in business I have enough business coming to me to afford me the luxury of being selective in who I take on as a client and setting my terms of how I work.

I'm never extremely early for things, as indeed, as mentioned above, I feel it is wasted time. Things which are routine, I do tend to leave till the last minute, but if it's a meeting or something where I can't afford to miss a travel connection, then I do allow myself about 15 minutes 'safe-time' just incase :)

I have VERY punctual parents, so I think I rebelled inside myself, and I confess I'm often late.

If it's someone I know, that is. If it's a business meeting, or a formal event, no way.

Also, my tardiness has limits -- 10-30 minutes late, fine. 1-3 hours late is just plain rude.

My first post-college job was as a newspaper reporter. There is something rather "focussing" when the managing editor comes to you with a lead on a story and says that he needs three pages, four pages, or five pages (his choice, not mine), and it needs to be done within 90 minutes or two hours (once again it was his choice, not mine). I had no choice other than to focus on getting the information I needed and and creating the story correctly with the first draft. To say the least, this was a very bracing experience.

For writers, deadlines are a good thing. They make you focus exclusively on the essential question or questions. Punctuality is the same. Do whatever you have to do to be at point A at time B. I must admit that Mrs. Kerouac works on a slightly different (ahem) clock, and even after 15 years it can drive me crazy.

I felt stressed just reading about your deadline story ... never mind having to live it. I am glad that I am not forced to work under firm deadlines like that. I do drive my wife and daughter a little crazy with my approach to time but my son is just like me. Both of us are very laid back about most everything not just time.

My first post-college job was as a newspaper reporter. There is something rather "focussing" when the managing editor comes to you with a lead on a story and says that he needs three pages, four pages, or five pages (his choice, not mine), and it needs to be done within 90 minutes or two hours (once again it was his choice, not mine). I had no choice other than to focus on getting the information I needed and and creating the story correctly with the first draft. To say the least, this was a very bracing experience.

For writers, deadlines are a good thing. They make you focus exclusively on the essential question or questions. Punctuality is the same. Do whatever you have to do to be at point A at time B. I must admit that Mrs. Kerouac works on a slightly different (ahem) clock, and even after 15 years it can drive me crazy.