When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Poor quality Double Red Sea Dweller rep

IanH

I bought this off a CQ-out auction.

It's not a terribly good rep at all.

It's too thin, too light and the movement is a Chinese copy of an ETA 2836

The bezel is too thin and the caseback has no weight to it.

The dial and hands look good to me though.

What are your thoughts on this rep?

DSCN0957.jpg

DSCN0958.jpg

DSCN0960.jpg

DSCN0962.jpg

DSCN0957a.jpg

DSCN0958a.jpg

Edited by IanH

Guest carlsbadrolex

Its not THAT bad... CG's look decent for OOTB. Interesting that they have bracelet end pieces stamped with 580 which would be accurate. The case back doesnt look bad at all. The casebacks were stamped (not engraved) on the gen and this looks alot better than the case back on my MBW. Yours could easily be sanded/buffed and made to look alot more like it was stamped.

The dial is about the same as most. And it looks like it has a silver date wheel which is accurate for some of the DRSD's.

All in all, its not that bad of a replica. Wear the darn thing, beat the hell out of it for awhile and make it look like a 30 year old watch.

Check this site out for reference pics.

http://doubleredseadweller.com/

It's not a terribly good rep at all.

It's too thin, too light and the movement is a Chinese copy of an ETA 2836

The bezel is too thin and the caseback has no weight to it.

The dial and hands look good to me though.

What are your thoughts on this rep?

With the exception of the dial (which, although I have seen worse, looks like a poorly colored NDtrading dial), I agree with the rest of your comments.

I've got just about the same watch- got it a couple of years ago from Paul. Ironically, the HE valve held in by a spring clip (mine has a gasket around the valve insert) appears to be a faithful reproduction of the original 1665 HE valve- unlike the fake valve on a MBW. Mine has a 93150 bracelet (hollow mid-links) and 580 end pieces.

Trim the crown guards

Replace the bezel pearl- it's not terrible, but the illumes dots from Ofrei for $10 would look better or the 'supposedly NOS acrylic pearls' from WatchesandParts over in Hong Kong might work- mine snapped right in.

Drill the lug holes- this might be a little more tricky in your case- the holes look slightly off-centered

Maybe work on the case back like Carlsbad suggests

And beat the watch up to make it look older

The biggest problem with any DRSD is just the fact that there aren't that many of them around. But you can be sure that 99.99% of the people have absolutely no clue what a DRSD is in the first place and if you should happen to run into a WIS- well you might just be called out- but maybe he'd be discreet about it! If I saw someone wearing a DRSD, I'd be asking about it, but I'd be cool about it- I own gens and reps and I just like running into other WIS!

BTW, the chinese copys of the eta's are pretty good in my book- if it is the true copy like in River's noobmariner, or some of Pauls vintage subs. My River noob is doing great. But the Josh noob w/ the 2813 is really a miyota copy- still not a bad movement- just not really an eta copy, but a Miyota copy.

• 2 weeks later...