When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

how should I fill this customs form?

cleobis

Hi, so I contacted customs and said that it was a gift, so I had no receipt for it. They said that in any case it should have a value so that customs can clear it....they sent me this form for me to fill and send them. Though they say that it allways will be pending approval in customs....

So, my question...how do you think I should fill this? it's a Pam 111H replica?

cheers

click here for value declaration

thks

Since you are in the clutches of customs now, there is a very real chance the watch will be seized. I would say that the watch is a 'prototype' sent to you as a gift for your opinion. Sticky situation for sure. Good luck!

You can't say something like "novelty diver underwater wristwatch $XX" ?

Usually the people who work there don't care, as long as all of the spaces on the form are filled out with something, then their job has been done and they release the item. That is what I notice here in Canada. The customs police are like these programmed machines that obey orders and have no clue as to what they are actually doing. Just remember do not mention the brand name and write really fast and squiggly to tire them out....

I would try "novelty wrist watch with no commercial value."

Marty

Usually the people who work there don't care, as long as all of the spaces on the form are filled out with something, then their job has been done and they release the item. That is what I notice here in Canada. The customs police are like these programmed machines that obey orders and have no clue as to what they are actually doing. Just remember do not mention the brand name and write really fast and squiggly to tire them out....

That advice sounds as good as any. At this point you are in a roulette wheel sort of situation, and not one where you have a lot of control. The best you can do is muddy the water a bit and keep your fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

Good luck.

Thks guys...I'll try the return to sender thing....let's hope it will work out...I'll keep you informed of the outcome :)

@chieftang

Thks :) I loooove IWC watches and decided to do a sig with a IWC watch, glad you like it :) Photoshop is your friend :)

cleobis,

no no no. You already stated it was a gift, stick to that. If you provide a totally different explanation now, it means that you lied to them in the first place - they don't like that at all, and lying to an official entity as customs is regarded as a serious issue that may bring you into trouble however small it is.

As said, stick to the gift explanation. Say it's a gift and due to that you don't know exactly what it is, nor the value, but that you would be very surpriced if the value was more than a 20-30-40 USD (tune this to your possible limits for VAT payment). Furthermore, state that if you have to pay anything for receiving a gift, they can do whatever they want - return it to the sender or whatever.

I've used this method once (so has a friend of mine), and as it implies quite some paperworkwork at their side to do that, their attitude might change to your favour if you are lucky.

You may loose your watch, which is not a nice thing, but far better than geting involved in a dispute with customs. This is not nice for legal goods, and absolutly not for illegal goods. Loss of a watch is something that happens sometimes in this game :angry: .

I don't know the exact legal situation re. import or possession of reps in Portugal and how the EU legsilation is implemented w.r.t. end users, you should check that out.

What worries me is that people here who don't know either, give advices that may bring you into serious trouble. How US, Canada, Kuala Lumpur or whatever country handles reps is of almost no interrest, what we do know is that in Europe many countries have implemented very strict rules re. counterfeited goods. Both Italy and France are very strict, the latter giving fines of maybe 10.000 EUR for just beeing in posession of a faked product.

So please all, if you don't have any knowledge don't give advices that may bring other people who don't know either into trouble.

cleobis,

no no no. You already stated it was a gift, stick to that. If you provide a totally different explanation now, it means that you lied to them in the first place - they don't like that at all, and lying to an official entity as customs is regarded as a serious issue that may bring you into trouble however small it is.

As said, stick to the gift explanation. Say it's a gift and due to that you don't know exactly what it is, nor the value, but that you would be very surpriced if the value was more than a 20-30-40 USD (tune this to your possible limits for VAT payment). Furthermore, state that if you have to pay anything for receiving a gift, they can do whatever they want - return it to the sender or whatever.

I've used this method once (so has a friend of mine), and as it implies quite some paperworkwork at their side to do that, their attitude might change to your favour if you are lucky.

You may loose your watch, which is not a nice thing, but far better than geting involved in a dispute with customs. This is not nice for legal goods, and absolutly not for illegal goods. Loss of a watch is something that happens sometimes in this game :angry: .

I don't know the exact legal situation re. import or possession of reps in Portugal and how the EU legsilation is implemented w.r.t. end users, you should check that out.

What worries me is that people here who don't know either, give advices that may bring you into serious trouble. How US, Canada, Kuala Lumpur or whatever country handles reps is of almost no interrest, what we do know is that in Europe many countries have implemented very strict rules re. counterfeited goods. Both Italy and France are very strict, the latter giving fines of maybe 10.000 EUR for just beeing in posession of a faked product.

So please all, if you don't have any knowledge don't give advices that may bring other people who don't know either into trouble.

thks mate, will fill the form tonight and send them nxt morning....

cheers