When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this worth trying?

capt_cope

So I've been dying to get a running daytona again, but just can't bring myself to spend $400 on the CHANCE it will work for more than a month or two. Also the 21j daytonas bug me due to the constantly running large seconds hand. If I could mod that to stay at 12... I'd be set, however it doesn't seem too doable. After seeing some quartz Breitlings a while back it struck me: a quartz sec @6 daytona would be the poor man's best of all worlds. Thinner case, reliable movt. And accurate functions (though you probably wouldn't want to run that ticking chrono!) I mean I doubt it's terribly easy to see that little second hand is ticking.

Then I saw these:

http://www.ioffer.com/i/BMW-Watch-Daytona-...ipping-33950396

BADA BING!

So is it a bad idea to order one of those up and drop in a daytona dial and crown/tube (and either scrap the hands or remove the red paint)?

Any suggestions? maybe a dealer can get a pre-made quartz daytona?

Why not just get a quartz daytona from cqout? Tonyxfk sells them and I know Jay (Silix) can get hold of them....

So I've been dying to get a running daytona again, but just can't bring myself to spend $400 on the CHANCE it will work for more than a month or two. Also the 21j daytonas bug me due to the constantly running large seconds hand. If I could mod that to stay at 12... I'd be set, however it doesn't seem too doable. After seeing some quartz Breitlings a while back it struck me: a quartz sec @6 daytona would be the poor man's best of all worlds. Thinner case, reliable movt. And accurate functions (though you probably wouldn't want to run that ticking chrono!) I mean I doubt it's terribly easy to see that little second hand is ticking.

Then I saw these:

http://www.ioffer.com/i/BMW-Watch-Daytona-...ipping-33950396

BADA BING!

So is it a bad idea to order one of those up and drop in a daytona dial and crown/tube (and either scrap the hands or remove the red paint)?

Any suggestions? maybe a dealer can get a pre-made quartz daytona?

Not worth it, imho. The whole idea of a quartz Daytona sounds a bit stupid to me.

Just pressure dealers to build the running seconds at '6 + completely immobile/non-functional stopwatch model again. It had Asian 21J inside, and smooth running seconds.

Honpo and Eddie Lee used to sell that model. The Daytona pushers are "locked", unless you screw them open... and you could always say the chrono is broken (if you're paranoid about getting "called out").

I doubt that any of the dials from 7750-based reps will fit that quartz movement, but I guess if you are ingenious & driven you could just glue the misaligned hands directly to the dial. But I would not be caught dead wearing that watch the way it is, so I am not quite sure what you would achieve with this.......other than having a fairly reliable quartz-driven Daytonamobile.

Just pressure dealers to build the running seconds at '6 + completely immobile/non-functional stopwatch model again. It had Asian 21J inside, and smooth running seconds.

Honpo and Eddie Lee used to sell that model. The Daytona pushers are "locked", unless you screw them open... and you could always say the chrono is broken (if you're paranoid about getting "called out").

I think that eventually the factory will get tired of taking returns on these dead secs at 6 7750s & finally bite the bullet and redesign the movement with the additional jeweling that Ziggy spec'd. I agree that that would probably eliminate most of the issues that relate to the extra gearing that relocates the subdial functions. Of course, they would have to up the retail price tag by $50, but I doubt many buyers would balk at that if a potential door stop was the cheaper alternative.

If it worked you'd end up with a daytona, seconds at six, that isn't a timebomb. And if anyone wants to explain how to pressure the dealers into making the watch you described... that'd be great. I never used the chrono on mine when it ran, and don't really care if that part of it works or not. I just can't stand a constantly running large seconds hand on a daytona.

WHOA there's a quartz movt. that will fit?! Now all I need are some hands that will fit it.

I've searched cousinsuk, julesborel, and ofrei, never could find a quartz that had the right subdial placement. Must have been looking wrong. Thanks for the tip!

Edited by capt_cope

I don't know any other way to "pressure" the dealers, except asking people like Angus and Joshua to inform the factories that there would be a market for that kind of replica.

I'm 100% sure that a Daytona like this would sell moderately well here. The rep should be priced $100 or $120, max... to be attractive though.

They already have the case, so I don't think it would be any kind of cost issue for them, either.

I've had a couple OS20 based watches... (nothing that looked remotely like a Daytona) just because of the unique design of the particular watches...

Of course, they didn't last long around here simply because they were quartz... the OS20 itself is highly reliable...

I would bet that 1 of the parts houses sell a standard 3-hand off-the-shelf mechanical movement with running seconds at the 6 o'clock position that one might be able to shoe-horn into a 1165xx rep case & dial with a bit of dremel surgery and/or spacer rings. Then just cement the remaining subdial hands to the dial & you have a pseudo-tona. Never tried it myself (and have no interest in doing so), but it might be worth a shot for someone to try if that is your cup of tea.

I would bet that 1 of the parts houses sell a standard 3-hand off-the-shelf mechanical movement with running seconds at the 6 o'clock position that one might be able to shoe-horn into a 1165xx rep case & dial with a bit of dremel surgery and/or spacer rings. Then just cement the remaining subdial hands to the dial & you have a pseudo-tona. Never tried it myself (and have no interest in doing so), but it might be worth a shot for someone to try if that is your cup of tea.

I've thought about that, and the rub comes down to the center seconds. Either there's no way to attach the hand, or there's no way to keep the hand static at 12. And to my knowledge, the only chrono movements with seconds at 6, and sub registers at 3 and 9 are the genuine daytona, and the a7750 w/ sec@6 module.

I've thought about that, and the rub comes down to the center seconds. Either there's no way to attach the hand, or there's no way to keep the hand static at 12. And to my knowledge, the only chrono movements with seconds at 6, and sub registers at 3 and 9 are the genuine daytona, and the a7750 w/ sec@6 module.

Just a quick thought, but you might just cement the center chrono secs hand to the inside of the crystal. Under normal viewing, it should look normal (as long as you are judicious with the cement application).

Probably very off topic (my apologies) -_- but how reliable is this (can see that it is not accurate in terms of spacing):

http://www.replicacollector.com/members/in...showtopic=32957

My heart missed a beat when I stumbled across it :D

If it's real Swiss 7750, it should be an excellent movement. But it's not only the subdial spacing that's problem here, it's also the seconds at '9.

This model of Daytona was never produced with the El Primero (seconds at '9). It's a rep of the white gold model... which is only available with the secs at '6 layout. On top of that the ROLEXROLEXROLEX engraving on the rehaut looks too thick and dark.

Good looking watch though... and it's not even expensive (if the movement really is Swiss).

I ran across this on TRC also and something doesn't seem right - doesn't the movement alone cost $300?

How can he offer this for so cheap, the least expensive rep Daytona swiss movement I've seen offered by a collector was for $600.

Also the number indices should be dark, not silver.

Guess only one way of finding out.... See if I'm brave enough :D

I ran across this on TRC also and something doesn't seem right - doesn't the movement alone cost $300?

How can he offer this for so cheap, the least expensive rep Daytona swiss movement I've seen offered by a collector was for $600.

I agree, something smells a bit Cod-like (fishy) there.

However, on the positive side, the early 116509s did come with silver numbers. Later, these were changed to gloss black. Someone told me the silver is still a special order option in the AD catalogs, but I cannot confirm this.

Oddly, most of the reps of these early 116509s had correctly shaped/sized index markers at 3, 6 & 9 (unlike the current versions, which are all too large & squarish).