When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Reps with the best water resistance

omegaunit

With the various QC issues that we are all aware of (i.e. no two watches are put together exactly the same way) I would not recommend going swimming with any of them without first making sure it is properly greased and sealed up. Even if it appears to be waterproof on that first swim, the second one may not be so pretty. :lol: Having said that I do have most of my watches in good enough shape to take them swimming.

From what I have seen, any of the newly released reps (from late 2007 onwards), are having water resistance at about 50m being part of the design. Angus is one of (not the only) few collectors who states water resistance to a certain depth directly on most of his listings.

Others (cartel mainly) may offer a waterproofing service which most accounts on this forum state to be bunk and costs an additional $50 USD, and THEN will state their watch can be used for swimming.

Only a few (SFSO and the SSD come to mind) will have ALL collectors state water resistance for swimming in the actual watch listing.

As an example, here's what I've found (creating an exhaustive list would be...well...exhausting) :rolleyes: :

==================

DEALER CERTIFIED

==================

- AP EOD (Pure Time)

- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Terminator 3 (Pure Time)

- Breitling Steelfish (all versions...all collectors)

- Breguet Type XX Chrono Titanium (Pure Time)

- most HBBs (Pure Time)

- IWC Aquatimer 371918 and 371928 (Pure Time)

- IWC Cousteau Divers (2006 and 2007...Pure Time)

- IWC Doppel (Pure Time)

- Omega SpeedMaster Day Dates (Pure Time)

- Panerai PAM186 Arktos GMT and PAM252 North Pole GMT, Ultimate Edition (Pure Time)

- Paul Picot Le Plongeur C-Type Chronograph (Pure Time)

- Rolex Super Seadweller (all collectors)

==================

RWG USER EXPERIENCE - from various posts on this board

==================

- Omega SMPs

- Omega SMP Chronos (Gioarmani and others have tested to 100m...mine failed at 3atm)

- Omega UPOs

- Pam Subs and others

- Rolex - most subs including Noobs/Begins/etc

Always remember...YMMV...

If you are purchasing a rep specifically for diving/swimming, then, as soon as it arrives (before its first dunk in the drink), take it to a certified watchmaker & have him waterproof & test it. Then have it tested at least once each year for 5 years. Then have it serviced again.

If you are purchasing a rep to wear, I would play it safe & keep the watch away from direct contact with water (that includes washing your hands). I just got finished delivering the bad news (& a totaled watch) to an owner who showered with his watch after being assured that his watch was water resistant to 10 meters. Never trust, always verify, and better safe than sorry.