When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer II white face stalls during the day!

prince458

I recently purchased an Explorer II white face from a private collector on another forum :thumbsupsmileyanim:

1. I like the classic and subdued lines and look of the Rolex Explorer II !! It's been my workhorse rep -- on my wrist daily and regualrly (last 3-4 weeks).

2. The rep has an auto movement (please do not ask me which auto movement it has because I did not take note of the discription from the other forum).

3. I took care in initially "charging the mainspring" by turning the crown 25-30 regular rotations in the first position.

4. The Explorer II was functioning beautifully until recently when I noticed that it intermittenly stops during the day :yucky: . I would uncrew the crown, gently pull it out and reset the time, push it back and the hack mechanism would release and the sweep hand would move :thumbsupsmileyanim:

This is happening far too frequently and I am wondering if anyone has experienced this. Any quick fix solutions? Do I just chalk it up to poor QC (paid $90 to the CONUS private dealer).

I do not know of any "local Columbus, Ohio watchsmith/repairperson" that works on reps ... it's a very sensitive search.

Advice or comments appreciated.

Yep.. I have had the same problem on a Submariner.

It was caused by one of the cogwheels being damaged. It lacked some teeth so it sometimes stopped, but could be started again. But I guess it might be several other causes for the watch to stop intermittently.

The Explorer II/ GMT-Master movement is modded, so it is often more troublesome than a regular movement. Beautiful watches, though!

I'm with Freddy, I've actually had two eta's serviced and at least a couple of asian movements repaired/serviced.

Finding a rep friendly watch repairman is always worthwhile. But on a couple of occasions, I've had to find the rep spare parts (from China) for them- they just don't have the sources for spare parts (esp. Chinese movts). But working on an eta is usually pretty simple, they can readily get those parts.

• 3 weeks later...

currently my Explorer II is being serviced with Rex from RepGeek and is out of rotation :(:( Rex got the rep last saturday 3.1.08 ... i'll post results as i hear from him ... cheers to all.

Looking forward to getting this rep back in my wearing rotation for the interim i am sporting 2 other reps for daily wear: :D:1a:

1. from WBK on RepGeek

DSCN2636.jpg

2. newest rep from WBK's dealer section on RepGeek:

DSCN2677.jpg

I'm with Freddy, I've actually had two eta's serviced and at least a couple of asian movements repaired/serviced.

Finding a rep friendly watch repairman is always worthwhile. But on a couple of occasions, I've had to find the rep spare parts (from China) for them- they just don't have the sources for spare parts (esp. Chinese movts). But working on an eta is usually pretty simple, they can readily get those parts.

check out Rex's rescue and repair on repgeek