When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noob Sub Review

Dude

Hello all,

I received the following Noob sub a couple of days ago on recommendation of this and other rep boards. Guess its a legend now.

First let me say I think it is amazing looking. My wife who is extremely skeptical cannot believe how real it looks and neither can I. How is it possible that I have paid as much as $850 for gen tags and this blows them away for only $80? I am actually trying to decide if I should Ebay some of my gens and buy more reps!

As others have pointed out nothing is perfect, especially at this price, but its darn close! I am actually thinking about using the $4900 I saved and take a trip to Tahiti with the wife. Anyway here are a few pics and here are my few minor gripes:

- Date is not centered. Too far to the upper left corner of widow.

- 6 hour marker leaning ever so slightly to the left

- Hologram sticker says 16610LV. Shouldn't it say 16610?

- The winding movement is a little noisey and feels like a gyroscope sitting on top of my wrist when I move my hand.

Other than that, it seems to keep good time and its by far my favorite watch.

PS. Please don't say welcome to the world of reps. I lived in NYC my whole life and have had many reps, but none as good as this. Amazing.

post-11212-1203190109_thumb.jpgpost-11212-1203190141_thumb.jpg

post-11212-1203190165_thumb.jpg

Thanks to everyone for pointing me toward this model and to TTK. hmmmm, what to buy next....

Edited by Dude

Hi Dude! Looks nice! Is this from the group buy? Re...the movement, that rotor noise is pretty common on ASIAN 21J movements! Just learn to live with it. The Chopard MMXL is even worse, but after ahile of wearing it, you don't even notice it. Re.......the sticker, I think the REP makers run out of 16610 stickers, but have ample supply of the 16610LV.....I got the same thing on my black sub from Andreww!

Maybe you could update as in a week or two about its accuracy!!!

Nice watch. Yes, it is a very good rep. Shave the crown guards, change the crown, and it is almost perfect!

My Noob from the group buy has the right 16610 sticker. It doesnt really matter since the number wear off after some months.. ( like on genuine Rolexes.. :D )

Interestingly, the model number between the lugs are "16610 T". I think the "T" designates the LV model.

the crown guards can be trim slightly. it is very good value for money.

Actually I think the crown guards look very good. Maybe better than the gen if that's possible. Took at the bottom crown guard. Looks pretty good even at this magnification. OK a little pudgy, but I'm not messing with it ^_^

RepC2.jpgGenC2.jpg

PS. Rep is on the left

Edited by Dude

Maybe you could update as in a week or two about its accuracy!!!

Hike,

Here's my 24 hour accuracy test:

I started at approximately 9:30PM last night it now 9:58 pm. I set the time to my computer. Drum roll please............

This is freaky but my watch matches the computer, EXACTLY TO THE SECOND! This is no lie.

I looked at it a few hours ago and it was about 5 seconds faster than the computer. I guess it settled down?

In interest of the test I must reveal that I did not wear the watch at all today. I picked it up a few times to shake it, look at it and take some pictures. I don't know if wearing it would affect the test. This was really unexpected. I thought it would run a little fast as others have said which would have been fine. But +/- 0 seconds over 24 hours?? Now I have to see what happens over the next few days.

Edited by Dude

Here's a stupid question: How do I attach a picture directly?

Read this tutorial by Pugwash:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=8844

PS: Enjoy your Noobmariner. Fantastic rep. Not only "for the money", but overall. One of the best Rolex reps out there for sure... I wish they'd just replace that grossly oversized winding crown eventually.

Hike,

Here's my 24 hour accuracy test:

I started at approximately 9:30PM last night it now 9:58 pm. I set the time to my computer. Drum roll please............

This is freaky but my watch matches the computer, EXACTLY TO THE SECOND! This is no lie.

I looked at it a few hours ago and it was about 5 seconds faster than the computer. I guess it settled down?

In interest of the test I must reveal that I did not wear the watch at all today. I picked it up a few times to shake it, look at it and take some pictures. I don't know if wearing it would affect the test. This was really unexpected. I thought it would run a little fast as others have said which would have been fine. But +/- 0 seconds over 24 hours?? Now I have to see what happens over the next few days.

Here's my 48 hour accuracy test (actually 47.5, but who's counting)

You'll recall from above the 24 hour test shocker where there was a zero variance between my watch and the computer clock.

Well, I wore the watch to work today and...now its 20 seconds behind. Seems odd to me that it would be slow. Anyone know why this may be? Maybe I'm not swinging my arm in natural arcing movements as I go about my daily chores :cc_confused:

Anyway, stay tuned for the much anticipated 72 hour report tomorrow. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Edited by Dude

Here's my 48 hour accuracy test (actually 47.5, but who's counting)

You'll recall from above the 24 hour test shocker where there was a zero variance between my watch and the computer clock.

Well, I wore the watch to work today and...now its 20 seconds behind. Seems odd to me that it would be slow. Anyone know why this may be? Maybe I'm not swinging my arm in natural arcing movements as I go about my daily chores :cc_confused:

Anyway, stay tuned for the much anticipated 72 hour report tomorrow. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I have been told that the position of the watch when it is not on your wrist might affect the accuracy....for example....if you took it off before you went to bed and placed it face down....it might be showing a slow reading in the morning....if you placed it face up....it might be showing a fast reading in the morning....

I think that a watch winder is best....that way the watch is not sitting in one position for hours on end....

Other things can affect the accuracy of a watch besides how it is resting....there are a lot of things that can MAGNETIZE a watch....computers....stereo equipment....numerous electronic devices....

When a watch gets magnetized it really screws up the accuracy and it will need to be de-magnetized by a watch smith....they have tools for that sort of stuff....de-magnetizing watches....it is pretty common....

All in all....dont expect your rep watches to keep fantastic time....even gen Rolex is not a very accurate time keeper....most watches with traditional (non quartz) movements are going to be + or - a few seconds every day....you are just going to have to get used to it....besides....what is 20 or 30 seconds anyway....

It is not uncommon for a watch collector to set the time when he puts on his watch....most of us have so many watches that we cant keep all of then running all the time....we just let em wind down....then set em when we put em on....and if you manually wind your automatic movement make sure you do it very slowly....it will damage the movement in time....I prefer not to wind my watches after what The Zigmeister said about it in my poll....Ok or NOT OK to manually wind an automatic watch movement....its in the movement Q&A sub forum....

TS

...even gen Rolex is not a very accurate time keeper....

TS

Not true...Rolex 3135 powered watches are renowned for their COSC and then some accuracy, usually less than 2 sec/day and close rivals to Omega's co-axial escapement movements.

20 seconds a day is fine for an Asian 21j movement but that doesn't mean it can't be tweeked closer. I would be a bit concerned by the vast positional differences in accuracy. A large diference between dial up and dial down means potential trouble. The good news are that these movements are easily replaced and if you can pull hands and align the datewheel overlay, it's a quick do it yourself job. As Ziggy hs stated, replacement parts for these movements are not available so they are basically disposable. You can pick one up for about $12 USD at Cousins.

With Asian 21J it's always bit of a gamble. I've had Asians that are COSC accurate, and ones that are +/-50 secs. But generally they're ok, and the power reserve is often excellent.

When you have many watches you rotate, the extreme accuracy doesn't even matter.

Not true...Rolex 3135 powered watches are renowned for their COSC and then some accuracy, usually less than 2 sec/day and close rivals to Omega's co-axial escapement movements.
e

The above statement is actually a complete fabrication.....!

Rolex / Patek / Omega....in fact any watch from a brand namecan be as innacurate as any rep........the problem with the above is that it assumes and perpetrates the myth that EVERY watch supplied by Rolex is C.O.S.C. certifed......they're not.....just like car manufacturers submit a car for testing.....watch manufacturers submit a MOVEMENT for COSC certification....they DO NOT submit EVERY watch for testing......Rolex manuafacture almost a million watches every year.....not to mention the rest of the Swiss watch industry......it would be impossible for every watch to be tested......!

Just as car manfr's submit a car for 0-60 testing.....and absolute top speed.......which usually means testing an engine sometimes close to destruction...the objective is for that ONE car to achieve the desired result.....purely for the purpose of MARKETING content.......in the real world.....virtually no-one will achieve the 0-60 times that a test driver will.....the test driver has no concern for the car.....it's not his......and he doesn't care...his objective is to wring the neck out of it to achieve that all-important test figure,.....0-60 = 5.2 secs......they must achieve it....or they can't advertise it.

Watch manufacturers and manufactureres in many other industries do exactly the same....when any of the top Swiss manufacturers advertise that the movement used in their watch meets COSC certification.....it's based on an initially supplied batch or movement.....not every watch is tested to COSC standard.....but because they've achieved it with a particular movement....they are legally entitled to make the claim....!

The factory carries out theregulation of all items prior to despatch....but YOUR Tag / Omega / Rolex / Patek....won't necessarily have seen a COSC testing centre.

It is a great rep. for a 100 bucks I had to see what everybody on the forum was talking about. But I am very happy with the watch. I was wondering, what movement could you buy to replace the baby rattle movement in these watches? And also, it seems to me that the date wheel is way off from gens I have been comparing. It looks like the font is much thicker and some of the numbers like the 22 and the 23 are a completely different font all together. Is there a way to replace all this?

It is a great rep. for a 100 bucks I had to see what everybody on the forum was talking about. But I am very happy with the watch. I was wondering, what movement could you buy to replace the baby rattle movement in these watches? And also, it seems to me that the date wheel is way off from gens I have been comparing. It looks like the font is much thicker and some of the numbers like the 22 and the 23 are a completely different font all together. Is there a way to replace all this?

YUP!!!!!.....buy the GEN!!!! Then swap all the parts! Then sell me the GEN case and rep parts, all for a price of the REP! Just kidding.......but it works! :lol:

I was under the impression that for a particular movement to be COSC certified, it has to be individually numbered. tested, and cataloged by the manufacturer. For instance, the COSC certificate that I requested from Omega shows the same serial number that is on my watch case and on the individual movement, as well as provides the number of seconds gained/lost in each of the 5 positions (and 3 temperatures) for my watch.

In the (IMO) very informative "Inside COSC" article by Watchbore on TimeZone (hxxp://www.timezone.com/library/wbore/wbore631733384647656250) the author states that "in 2001, COSC

That's not odd at all - the accuracy of a watch depends on how you wear it - the accuracy is very different in different positions (a.o. the friction is different in different positions, in cheap movements more than in expensive ones with highly polished parts and high quality lubrication used).

You may measure the accuracy of your watch during 24 hours in use by you, then give it to a friend with a different kind of work and habits, and you will most likely see a significant different result.

This is the reason why finer movements are measured and adjusted to temperature and 3-5 positions, (COSC 5 pos).

Some more info here:

hxxp://chronocentric.com/watches/accuracy.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COSC

And I think this topic in particular is worth re-printing here (with thanks to chronocentric.com):

So what makes a mechanical watch a "Chronometer" or "Certified Chronometer?"

Fine watchmakers often have their mechanical watch movements individually certified by the Contr

Wow a lot of info on accuracy. I never really thought about it before. Funny how you can buy a $10 quartz that keeps nearly perfect time and can go up to ten years between batteries and a $25,000+ Rolex is not as accurate and can barely go two days before needing a "charge". I never quite understood the attraction of automatic watches, but subs don't come in quartz so I will put up with it for vanity sake :showoff:

Anyway, here is my 72 hour update:

Hours:

24 +/- 0 sec

24 - 48 - 20 sec

48 - 72 - 15 sec

so after 72 hour cumulative 35 sec slow. :crazy:

Edited by Dude