When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

switching out Asian Movement for ETA

eculuke

I am a newbie when it comes to watch repair, but I am determined to understand how these replicas work and figure how to do basic repair and maintenance. My question is, I have been purchasing some great reps from Jay at silix. These are definetly the Japanese cheaper versions. I have some I really like. In particular a day date. I was wondering, if I could find a ETA 2836-2. Could I do a switch out and make this watch equivalent to the higher end replicas? Is there a good place to buy these ETA movements. I have seen the ETA 2836-2 for around 70.00 on Jules Borel. Is this the one I need? Also I know the real movements have a very slight tick. And the replicas with asian have a more noticeable tick. Will the ETA improve over the Asian movements? How much of a undertaking is it to switch a movement?

Thanks guys

Luke

If you want an eta movement, buy the watch with it in it. Don't go to the trouble to switch an eta for an asian 21j- esp. the day date movement- parts aren't necessarily interchangeable and getiing the parts you need will take too much time and effort- new hands, new date and day wheels, etc.

Many people have done this in the past only to find out that switching out the movement is the least of their problems.

In addition to alligoat's suggestion, you'll have to deal with differential diameters and thicknesses, which may, in turn cause you to buy a new spacer ring, alter the crown placement, change the dial, etc.

$70 for a 2836-2 at Otto Frei? You might want to call and check that price. Due to the weak Dollar and availability problems the prices on ETA have almost doubled.

Add that to all the problems mentioned above and the fact that cheap reps also use cheaper cases, bracelets, crystals and it becomes a silly thing to do.

$70 for a 2836-2 at Otto Frei? You might want to call and check that price. Due to the weak Dollar and availability problems the prices on ETA have almost doubled.

Not only has the price doubled, the availability of the 2836-2 is getting worse, none are listed at Ofrei anymore, only the 2824-2 is listed, at $129 and up, for a used surplus movement of unknown condition.

I listed a fully serviced ETA 2836-2 - twice, as well as a couple of fully serviced A7750's, no interest in any of them...so back in the spares bin they go...

As for the original question, not worth trying to do the upgrade, better to simply buy a watch you like with the ETA inside already.

RG