When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New member seeking Breitling Navitmer Advice

smithdj10

Hello everyone,

I joined up on this forum on Friday and since then have spent every spare minute reading threads, drooling at the pictures of the beautiful reps and looking at several websites of the traders recommended by RWG.

I live in London & for some time have dabbled with the idea of buying a Gen Breitling only to back up each time I think of parting with

Edited by smithdj10

Welcome to the forum. And thanks for doing some reading before the questions. I may be able to help you on some of them.

1. Customs. Whilst I'm likely to buy from a UK dealer, I just wondered what happens when a watch gets stopped at customs. Is it lost for good, or are you asked to pay tax on it?

It would be best to buy from a UK dealer to avoid customs issues for you. Better to be safe than sorry. If you choose a dealer not in the UK, it is possible that the watch can hang in customs but most go through. The reputable dealers listed in this forum will usually send another watch after verifying that customs will not return it. They don't have to do this since it is not their fault that it gets hung there but they see it as a long term commitment to continue to sell reps in this forum.

2. Breitling Navitimer Model Model Number 23322, with 9-6-3 Subdial - this is what I want. I've decided I want a leather strap, but I'm still undecided on the face color - the all white, black with white subdial, or blue all look great. Any specific advice on buying this model?

Dial color is a personal opinion. The 9-6-3 model or the 12-9-6 model is also a matter of personal choice.

3. How easy is it to change straps on this watch? I ask this because I think I'd like to buy a Bob Navitimer strap.

Changing the strap requires a tool that slips in the slot and depresses the pin. You may be able to do this with a very small screw driver but the tool is very inexpensive and makes the job a lot easier - especially if you plan to do it a lot.

4. AR - what does it stand for?(!) It seems advisable to get double AR from K2222. Anyone disagree or think otherwise?

AR means Anti-Reflective coating. What comes on reps is usually called 'light AR' which is to say very little to nothing (some of the reps in 2007 came out with a much better AR coating - these will be mentioned in the forum frequently). Because of this, many are choosing to have the crystal removed and sent to K2222 or Chieftang who have located an excellent location to put a very durable AR coating on them. The difference looking through the crystal when this good AR coating is applied is amazing as the crystal almost disappears. You don't need to worry about this until after you get the watch. Keep reading about this in the forum and you can have it done later this year if you choose.

5. Movement. I'm assuming I'll buy an Asian movement, and I'm assuming this will last for years. Do I need to perform any specific servicing to the watch?

The movement will be Asian. More often than not - these work ok. If it does not when it arrives - the dealers will replace it but of course there is the hassle of sending it back and waiting for the new watch. The chrono functions on the watch are the weak point. All are warned to not use them excessively and not at all is best. They will function but are not considered durable in the reps. A very few in the forum are true watchsmiths and can service the movement by disassembly, oiling and reassembly which will provide at least 5 years of operation before it is needed again. Even genuine movements need this servicing if they are to last for years.

6. Repairs. Obviously you don't take it to a Breitling dealer should it need looking at! I'm not much good at repairing watches, and not sure I'd want to on these beauty's. Does anyone have any suggested repair/service tips?

See my comments in the last question. A very few in this forum can repair and service a watch properly. Never take your rep to a AD (authorized dealer) as good as they look to us - the AD will be able to tell it is a rep very easily. You will, from time to time, see someone here tell you he did it and got away with it - don't do as they do - it is not smart - in fact - to be perfectly blunt - it is stupid.

The Navitimer was my first rep and I still have it. A great looking watch. Here are a few of my other Breits:

6.75_3-1.jpg

Bentley6.75atnight.jpg

BreitlingHeratage.jpg

2Breitlings.jpg

3Breitlings.jpg

And - if you pursue this as a hobby there is and will be many good models available to you. Just keep reading the new posts and you will see the new stuff coming out but hold on to your wallet as 3 or 4 good reps can cost you 700 to 900 pounds.

Good luck.

Usil

Most of the non-chrono watches are currently available with ETA movements which are generally regarded as being more reliable. I have one in my SFSO, and an Asian 7750 in my Montblanc.

One thing about the 3-6-9 (tri-compax) configuration you will find is that the datewheel is sunken further below the dial of the watch, which can be a bit annoying (as on my Montblanc) and a definite tell for a rep. If you went for the 6-9-12 Navitimer, it will be less obvious.

Most of the non-chrono watches are currently available with ETA movements which are generally regarded as being more reliable. I have one in my SFSO, and an Asian 7750 in my Montblanc.

One thing about the 3-6-9 (tri-compax) configuration you will find is that the datewheel is sunken further below the dial of the watch, which can be a bit annoying (as on my Montblanc) and a definite tell for a rep. If you went for the 6-9-12 Navitimer, it will be less obvious.

Yes, I'm currently weighting up weather to go for 3-6-9 and have sunken datewheel or get the 6-9-12 SS.

I'm also a Montblanc fan - the Timewalkers are lovely, but Breitling Navitmer comes first. I love the Chrono look so 7750 looks like the preference.

Hi and welcome to the forum... B)

I live in the UK and I've never had any customs issues (touch wood) when buying from any overseas dealer. I use Precious TimeUK but I also use overseas delaers like Perfect Clones, PureTime, Silix, and others not known to these forums - they all have the same sense not to make the packages look dodgy.

If you get any asian 7750 (which is in the rep you want), you should take care of it...and not abuse the chrono functions too much...as this can cause problems. I prefer to just wind up any new chrono watches and run it for at 24hrs before attempting to use the chronos...just to run it in, so to speak.

There a few UK watchsmiths which are willing to service reps....but they are understanderbly quite cautious...since it must be a touchy subject with the majority.

Good luck with your Navitimer (make sure its the latest model), its a great Breitling. I'm sure you'll enjoy it! The straps are easy to change, you can either buy the cheap watch hobbyists tool set (from fleabay) or use a few common tools to remove the spring bars.

regards

Me

(Navitimer and general Breitling freak)

Thanks for the continued advice folks.

I'm thinking the 6-9-12 sub dial is my preference. Now this may also solve my dial colour dilema.

Am I right in thinking that the all white dial is not available in a 6-9-12 layout?

Also, would it be foolish to order 2 watches in one batch? Does anyone think bigger parcels are more likely to get a customs check?

Cheers

(I'm off to search the bay for these watch toolsets so I can change straps with minimal fuss...)

Be aware that the 6-9-12 SS version, commonly referred to as the "Fighters" or "Series Special", is the least accurate of all the Navitimer reps. If you want the 6-9-12, stick to the two tone versions.

I'm really glad you've told me that - I would have gone for the straight silver look one!

Cheers!

Be aware that the 6-9-12 SS version, commonly referred to as the "Fighters" or "Series Special", is the least accurate of all the Navitimer reps. If you want the 6-9-12, stick to the two tone versions.

I've also been reading that the White dial Navitmer is a slightly better rep than the black dial when comparing the 3-6-9.

(1 of the things is that the slide rule is better aligned)

If this is true, can anyone comment where the Blue dial sits.

Cheers - I'm getting close to buying now - it's down to colour now - I know I want the Bob rep black strap, I know I want the 3-6-9 because I'm not that keen on the Two Tone, and the Fighter Series is not as good as the 3-6-9.

Down to dial colour & weather I go with Silix or Precious time!

So, do I go White Dial or does the blue dial match the white in terms of close match to the gen???

Cheers

I've also been reading that the White dial Navitmer is a slightly better rep than the black dial when comparing the 3-6-9.

(1 of the things is that the slide rule is better aligned)

If this is true, can anyone comment where the Blue dial sits.

Cheers - I'm getting close to buying now - it's down to colour now - I know I want the Bob rep black strap, I know I want the 3-6-9 because I'm not that keen on the Two Tone, and the Fighter Series is not as good as the 3-6-9.

Down to dial colour & weather I go with Silix or Precious time!

So, do I go White Dial or does the blue dial match the white in terms of close match to the gen???

Cheers

It may be difficult to find, but the older version watch with the slow beat movement seamed to have a better slide rule. If possible, combining the two watches would give you the best of both worlds. I purchased the older style and have been planning on swapping to a swiss 7753 and a genuine dial (I just haven't found the dial yet)

I've heard people refer to the Bob straps (never had one), but I think you would be hard pressed to beat the newer deployant rep straps (especially at $38 plus shipping - for about $90 dollars you can get both a black and brown croc printed leather straps shipped). These straps are very thick. Compared to the genuine calf deployant they are actually a little thicker and stiffer (I prefer them to the genuine calf). I don't have a genuine croc deployant, put comparing them to a genuine croc tang, they may be slightly stiffer (genuine croc is stiffer than calf). See pictures below

DSC_0240.jpg

OnWood.jpg