When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bond 6538a

XRT

Wow, gorgeous! Which tropic is that?

You'll have to ask RBJ. He was going to put in a Tropic but the new bezel/insert assembly sticks up so high that you would not get a nice 'dome' effect with it. He apparently bought these aftermarket crystals to try out on some other watches and he thought of using it on this one since the height of this crystal would stick up much higher than the insert...giving me the nice 'dome' effect that I wanted. It looks amazing in person and produces a sweet distortion of the dial.

This is what the profile would have looked like with the Tropic installed (picture of 6541 sold by RPS01 with same bezel assembly and Tropic)...much less impressive looking IMO.

70274-32831.jpg

You'll have to ask RBJ. He was going to put in a Tropic but the new bezel/insert assembly sticks up so high that you would not get a nice 'dome' effect with it. He apparently bought these aftermarket crystals to try out on some other watches and he thought of using it on this one since the height of this crystal would stick up much higher than the insert...giving me the nice 'dome' effect that I wanted. It looks amazing in person and produces a sweet distortion of the dial.

I wonder if that would fit a 1665. I've got a superdome on the way, but I wouldn't mind a backup even if it was aftermarket.

dammit xrt your pics r better than mine , that crystal was hard to take pics of , and u did a hek of job with that, bravo Mr. photographer , lol

btw glad u love it even more than before lol

joe

A genuine movement would really be the icing on the cake. I have been considering this project for a while now, as I really, really like this watch (and have a soft spot for vintage in general). Unfortunately, I have promised Mrs. Krusty a new Mercedes in the next couple of weeks, so I may have to live vicariously on here for a bit. BTW, a genuine movement would run you $1kish. I know where to get one (reputable).

A genuine movement would really be the icing on the cake. I have been considering this project for a while now, as I really, really like this watch (and have a soft spot for vintage in general). Unfortunately, I have promised Mrs. Krusty a new Mercedes in the next couple of weeks, so I may have to live vicariously on here for a bit. BTW, a genuine movement would run you $1kish. I know where to get one (reputable).

@ krustyband,

i'm sure a couple of hundred dollars wont hurt the budget if you can buy a Merc for the missus!

come on! you know you want this watch! do you know whether this model is even still accessible from our dealers?

@ krustyband,

i'm sure a couple of hundred dollars wont hurt the budget if you can buy a Merc for the missus!

come on! you know you want this watch! do you know whether this model is even still accessible from our dealers?

Luckyy has this one. No, a couple of hundred won't make much difference, it's the $1500 afterwards for gen parts, on top of the $2000 worth of Omega parts I have on order, as well as all the new tools I have to buy....

It never ends, but I did promise my wife I would lay off new watches for a while. That doesn't stop me from buying more DW movements, or getting the folded bracelet I have restored, or enjoying myself in a dozen other ways. She also wants to go back to University in January, so she thinks on top of the car that our budget is shot. I don't know how she thinks that, considering we have never had one....

SO the custom brevet crown was for you...

after that, you may get a gen movement as well, and you´ll suddenly have a retirement plan in your wrist.

No one said that recreating this watch would be cheap.

I know where there was one for sale recently (still should be) in Canada for about $500....

That's a great deal if it is in good shape.

...but it won't fit this case (if you think you can use it on your WM or MBW Bond). The problem is that the current tube is set too far posteriorly, and if you try to drill out a larger hole and re-tap it for the 8mm crown tube you will not be able to reinstall the case-back. :bangin: