When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Demagnify or Die

freddy333

I was testing a watch that was producing real strange readings on my timer, so I decided to demagnetize it (which I should have done in the 1st place). For those of you who do not know what a watch demagnetizer is or how important it is to getting & keeping a watch in proper running order, I will just say that a watch demagnetizer is as important to a watchmaker as a hammer is to a carpenter. Indespensible.

So I put the watch on the demagnetizer & pulled the trigger, but.........uh oh........nothing.........dead watch demagnifier (get it?.....pulled the trigger--dead demagnetizer......sorry, bad joke). So, I was about to buy a new one when I realized that I have an old Annis Han-D-Mag tape head demagnetizer that I used to use to demagnetize the heads on home/studio tape decks (remember those?). So I pulled it out of my audio gear & blew the layer of dust off. Then, while holding the Han-D-Mag upside-down (red tip pointing down), I plugged it in & slowly brought the watch (dial up) down onto the base of the Han-D-Mag

f9_1.JPG

I slowly rotated the watch around on the base & then slowly drew the watch an arm's length away before unplugging the Han-D-Mag. Voila, demagnetized watch! A quick retest on the timer & beat error & timing are now nearly perfect on a watch that looked to be gravely ill just minutes ago. Pretty good for a minute of work & without even having to crack open the case.

Moral -- If your watch is behaving erratically or running abnormally (more than a minute/day) fast, it may very well be magnetized & a quick treatment with a demagnetizer may be all it needs.

Moral 2 -- If you have a good reel-to-reel tape head (or video tape) demagnetizer (most cassette deck head demags do not produce a sufficiently strong magnetic field to do the job), you may not need to spend additional money for a watch demagnetizer.

For the rest of persons who do not have the tape demagnetizer:

http://cgi.ebay.es/Watchmarker-Screwdriver...1QQcmdZViewItem

I have just received it. Chaep and works.

However, and it is not very powerful, take out the movement of the case.

That unit is really intended for small tools & not movements, at least not assembled movements. A much better option would be working versions of either item 180217280682 or item 360026228511, both of which are designed to demagnetize a watch (or tool). I did not know they were still being made, but I just found what appears to be a new Han-D-Mag on ebay, item 270213954210. So if you have an old tape deck, this might be a better option since it will have dual uses.

Just curious... how does a watch get magnetized in the first place?

From being in the vicinity of 'strong' magnetic fields. CRTs (TVs or non-flat screen computer monitors) contain high voltage transformers & power supplies that emit strong magnetic fields. If you work in close proximity (less than about an arm's length) to the rear of a CRT, your watch may become magnetized. Moving coil stereo speakers also contain large permanent magnets that can magnetize your watch over a period of time, if your watch is in close proximity. Most electric motors emit strong magnetic fields. The Rolex Milgauss was designed with special anti-magnetic shielding so it could be worn by people in research labs who work in & around strong magnetic fields all day

milgauss_ad.jpg

1019wrist0061.jpg

Even your home microwave oven can emit magnetic fields during operation. There are lots of sources of magnetic fields in the modern world, so, over time, the small day-to-day accumulations tend to build up to the point where your watch's accuracy may become effected. This is why most experienced watchmakers will demagnetize a watch as part of their initial inspection prior to beginning any repairs.

That unit is really intended for small tools & not movements, at least not assembled movements. A much better option would be working versions of either item 180217280682 or item 360026228511, both of which are designed to demagnetize a watch (or tool). I did not know they were still being made, but I just found what appears to be a new Han-D-Mag on ebay, item 270213954210. So if you have an old tape deck, this might be a better option since it will have dual uses.

Yes, it is not very powerful. But I think that it is enough for a movement, out of the case, sure.

• 2 weeks later...