When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 1655 Explorer II Steve McQueen

StormTooper4

So this is my first review type post and I have to say IM PRETTY DAMN NERVOUS, but as I feel I take so much away from this forum I thought I'd try to give a little back.

Firstly I don't really do pictures as you will see, my camera seems to act randomly and has a mind of its own, and (I think its called auto focus.) Secondly I do not even pretend to think this is a perfect or hugely accurate rep. The thing is it was my FIRST rep and I purchased it in Sept 2007 before I'd even found RWG so I guess that means she has a special place in my watch box.

post-8556-1203763571_thumb.jpg

So its Rolex 1655 Explorer II Steve McQueen Orange Hand number. I'm not sure were the McQueen tag comes from I say it's because he wore one in his last film Hunter. When it first arrived I thought it was a really bad example mainly due to there being no luminous circle on the second hand, this turns out to be correct hand for the 1971 version. Alas the bracelet on it though is for the later mid 70's version and should be a nice 571 riveted construction.

post-8556-1203763858_thumb.jpg

For those non Rolex nerds amongst us the watch was designed for speleologists (cavers) and the orange hand is supposed to indicate the 24 hour time so here we can see I was up at 4am taking these pictures. I adjusted the time and date and forgot to put the crown back in before taking these shots. It would have been nice to have had an instruction manual as these aren't always the easiest of watches to set and sometimes the date changes halfway through the day if i'm not careful. Time to invest in a watch winder me thinks.

post-8556-1203763717_thumb.jpgpost-8556-1203763729_thumb.jpg

When I first join the forum I read a lot of moans about Rolex dates and the magnifiers being weak. Though I can see it on some reps I've really never been bothered by this one as it seems fine to me, as I hope you can see in these 2 pictures.

post-8556-1203763805_thumb.jpg

Other things that seem to be a big issue with Rolex reps are the crown guards. Now I have only just started to begin to get to grips with this subject matter and I'm just starting to see the differences , but like the date, I really don't see too much of an issue with these CG's.

post-8556-1203763745_thumb.jpg

I also think the plexi glass crystal looks pretty sweet to.

As I've read and learn I see that there are issues with the dial, the coronet is not quite right and the Superlative chrono could be bigger and lower perhaps. Things that bug me are the colour of the orange hand and the

post-8556-1203763686_thumb.jpg

post-8556-1203763791_thumb.jpg

Excellent review. Thanks for taking the time.

There's no superb replication of the "McQueen" Explorer II, but this is fairly nice one. And just like you said, only the Rolex nerds would know. Enjoy!

Here's Pugwash's tutorial how to post the pics in "full size":

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=8844

Great first review Stormy. It's taking the trouble to write reviews, that makes this place what it is. I look forward to your second!

The 1655 has a special place in my collection. Good choice!

Are you going to have a go at modding the few details that you don't like on this rep? It seems you ave a pretty good starting point. Which collector did you get it from?

Edited by Slartibartfast

Nice review Storm! Thank you for taking the time to do it. I love the Orange Hand.

A nice mod I discovered if you have the tools & know how or a watchmaker can do for you is replacing the hands with NOS Omega hands that look dead on for the 1655 hands, they're ~$30 at Ofrei and only the minute hand has to be broached a bit to fit an ETA movement. It really makes a big difference!

Here's how they look on my franken 1655

DSCN4548.jpg

DSCN4536.jpg

That one looks the same to me!!!!!

Thanks Striker, is that gen in the photo yours? Yes, swapping out the hands really makes huge difference and is a very worthwhile mod.

The date mag is a little too large on my 1655 as the crystal sits higher than on mine compared to a gen 1655. I have to sand the crystal down a little one of these days to fix that :rolleyes: . I'm still quite happy with how it turned out though.

Yes that is my gen it was purchased in the early late 70's early 80's by my dad.

I would not worry about the crystal too much or the date window. Over time they get damaged and swapped out by most of the owners anyways. If anything yours may not look as weather beaten as far as the case and bracelet goes, it looks too darn good. I think both the watches look exceptional as far as the overall look of a gen 1655 goes.

If anything maybe the crown guards are a tad off. But you would really need the gen sitting beside it to tell. Not even a minor or worthwhile concern as far as I would be concerned.

Edited by striker27