When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

No More Anti-reflective Coating On Pauls Plant Ocean! There Is!

marrickvilleboy

well thats actually my lack of photography ability. :(

Well the way i see it is that with a domed crystal, when we look at it from an angle the light rays entering the crystal will firstly refract due to the nature of the crystal and when it gets reflected off the dial it will again be refracted when leaving the crystal. So thats why its blurred up and somewhat magnifies the dial. Someone correct me if i'm wrong please, remembering physics class from year 10 is not so easy it seems.

:huh:

I was just kidding about the kids M-ville. Think of it this way . . . When viewing the dial, we're seeing two things generally - reflected light from the dial and reflected light from the crystal. AR just minimizes the latter so the former is more obvious, hence increased perceived contrast.

Here are my comments on the whole distortion Vs AR thing, and the watches i've experienced the effects on.

Both my PAM111H, and my PAM036 have AR coating (or atleast the AR coating you get on reps). BOTH distort like Marrickvilleboy's top picture when viewed at an extreme angle.

My PAM192 doesn't have AR, but that doesn't distort, like Marrickvilleboy's bottom picture.

My Omega SMP bond style sub (which i bought the day Paul put them up for sale in February last year) acts like Marrickvilleboy's second picture, with no distortion. I'm pretty sure it has no AR coating.

My electric blue SMP, shows the same distortion as Marrickvilleboy's top pic. Undestandable, as it's the same model, except the dial colour.

My 42.5mm Planet Ocean (Andrew's 4th gen, which is IMO identical to Paul's), shows no distortion and faint AR coating.

My 45mm Planet Ocean (Andrew's latest asian auto version) shows distortion. As a side note, when i had the movement out of the case, you could use the crystal as a magnifying glass.

My conclusion. The lack of AR coating is not the reason for distortion when viewing the dial at an almost 180 degree angle. Given my experiences, it just can't be.

Edited by bigpops