When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

No More Anti-reflective Coating On Pauls Plant Ocean! There Is!

marrickvilleboy

I just got an email from Paul saying that the W-2008 does not have AR coating on the crystal anymore, its just a standard Sapphire crystal now.

Anyone else able to confirm this? Because on his website, it states clearly that it does have AR coating. I've written back to him asking him about this.

:blink:

EDIT: THERE IS AR COATING

Edited by Marrickvilleboy

I just got an email from Paul saying that the W-2008 does not have AR coating on the crystal anymore, its just a standard Sapphire crystal now.

Anyone else able to confirm this? Because on his website, it states clearly that it does have AR coating. I've written back to him asking him about this.

:blink:

Damn, all flaws aside, the AR coating is the THE dealmaker for me (or breaker in this case).

What is it with lack of ARs these days??? I remember getting my first 036 back in the day, and marvelling at the lovely purply-blue hue the AR crystal gave off.

Hi Folks !

I just mailed Andrew and asked if he still offers AR coating on his 4th gen POs and here is what he answered:

"YES.. of course."

So, good to know that you can still buy that watch with the AR coating...

Greetings

DJ

Take Andrew's word with a grain of salt as he's the one who once hawked Chinese 6497s as Swiss. <_<

I have both TTK's 3rd version and Pauls 4th version and the chrystal on Pauls is much much much better and less reflecting as the 3rd version.

There is no purple AR coating as seen in early swiss Panerai or the Breitling reps but it sure is not as reflecting as a Panerai chrystal with a date mag.

See for youself :

Pauls PO

Sure thing, the angle is right but still, little reflections :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Andrews DOES have a single AR coating on the inside of the crystal (evidenced by the blue in the direct light reflections) but it is light years away from the gen. There is a board member (forgot who) who is offering AR coating, and any cooperative 1hour optical place can also do it for you.

If you really want a real AR coating on your rep the best bet is to seek it out aftermarket. The AR coating on the 4th gen is not going to fool anyone who has seen the gen (though it's much better than none at all).

The Gen looks as though the crystal has been completely removed in indirect light. It is rather uncanny!

Andrews DOES have a single AR coating on the inside of the crystal (evidenced by the blue in the direct light reflections) but it is light years away from the gen. There is a board member (forgot who) who is offering AR coating, and any cooperative 1hour optical place can also do it for you.

If you really want a real AR coating on your rep the best bet is to seek it out aftermarket. The AR coating on the 4th gen is not going to fool anyone who has seen the gen (though it's much better than none at all).

The Gen looks as though the crystal has been completely removed in indirect light. It is rather uncanny!

Yes, that's the way to go but...how much would it cost? :g:

I don't think there's AR on either of Andrew's or Paul's PO. See the thread below from bigredjoe69's review of Andrew's PO. His attempts at capturing the AR on Andrew's watch looks exactly the same as mine from Paul's. It's NOT the obvious blue/purplish reflection as in my 111H. So, there is either a very subtle layer of AR or no AR at all. Who can tell us?

RedBigJoe69's PO Review

70806-32732.jpg

70806-32733.jpg

70806-32734.jpg

you can tell if there is AR coating when you look at the dial at angles and still be able to see the dial clearly, the crystals with no AR coating will distort the dial badly.

No. None of my Rolexes are AR coated and there is no distortion of the dial looking at an angle through the flat surfaced portions of the crystal.

I'm at Tikerz's house this evening - there's no AR on his 4th version PO. I know AR - this is not AR. The 'blue' that everyone is wanting to see is not AR - that is separation of light passing through lightly curved crystal, particularly when point light sources are reflected at an angle off the crystal face. The bluish hue that is characteristic of AR should be uniform at an angle across the crystal face - not just as a halo around point light reflections.

No. None of my Rolexes are AR coated and there is no distortion of the dial looking at an angle through the flat surfaced portions of the crystal.

I'm at Tikerz's house this evening - there's no AR on his 4th version PO. I know AR - this is not AR. The 'blue' that everyone is wanting to see is not AR - that is separation of light passing through lightly curved crystal, particularly when point light sources are reflected at an angle off the crystal face. The bluish hue that is characteristic of AR should be uniform at an angle across the crystal face - not just as a halo around point light reflections.

thats because the rolexes have FLAT crystals. Flat crystals dont have any distortion issues.

The Omegas have domed crystals, so thats why we have this AR coating issues. As far as I know, only the Omega SMP blue and Constellation has AR coating on their crystals, i'm not sure about the P.O.

thats because the rolexes have FLAT crystals. Flat crystals dont have any distortion issues.

The Omegas have domed crystals, so thats why we have this AR coating issues. As far as I know, only the Omega SMP blue and Constellation has AR coating on their crystals, i'm not sure about the P.O.

AR doesn't have squat to do with distortion, but it has everything to do with contrast. Lack of AR doesn't 'distort' the dial - that is related to crystal geometry.

A dial will always look 'distorted' through a domed crystal even with heavy AR.

REALLY?

Without AR coating

70829-32729.jpg

With AR coating

70829-32730.jpg

I think we'll let the pictures do the talking, I won't pull out the books for this argument.

Enough said.

AR doesn't have squat to do with distortion, but it has everything to do with contrast. Lack of AR doesn't 'distort' the dial - that is related to crystal geometry.

A dial will always look 'distorted' through a domed crystal even with heavy AR.

Edited by Marrickvilleboy

Whether the 4th has AR or not, it is not anything like the gen. If I was looking to purchase a 4th version PO, I wouldn't stress over the AR issue based on what I've seen. Tikerz's supposedly has AR and it's as reflective as any of his other watches not having AR. I would spend the time worring about the more accurate dial, He valve position, bezel insert triangle, bezel knurl shape, clasp engraving or proper hand length.

@ Cwai02 and @ Leit

I understand that it may be weak, but at least you can read the dial when the watch is on an angle, you can't even see the dial when you look at watches with domed crystals without AR coating. Maybe you can find a watch in your collection which will show this. I've tried to capture the issue with my pictures and I hope you can see where i'm coming from.

Like others here, my other hobby is photography. I've used two versions of a Leica Summitar lens - one coated and the other not. Both were equally sharp, but the coated one performed better and exhibited better contrast in high contrast scenes. Neither lens could be said to have more distortion than the other - one just exhibited better contrast through a wider range of scenes, particular shooting into light type shots.