When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Yachtmaster

Mickey Padge

I have noticed the new Yachtmaster being listed by the dealers. Fantastic watch, would love to buy one.

See it here:

1195656651546165895cf9.jpg

For sale here:

http://www.pam111.com/product_info.php?products_id=2240

http://www.trustytime88.com/index.php?main...c96ec895293443c

http://www.kingshowbox.com/goods.php?id=480

Now it is listed as Swiss ETA2892 and is expensive, although Kings price is actually quite good compared to the other sellers.

Have a look at this:

chst18mcmykoi0.jpg

Look familiar? The Seagull ST18 costs about

Edited by Mickey Padge

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only one that you can see clearly under the balance is Pauls and that is no ETA, 100% seagull, not that that is is bad movement but it is not what they are advertising, i would ask them to prove that it is an ETA and i doupt they can or make you a better price, you know "little white lies" spring to mind, as a seagull it could command the price of a 2836/24 or a touch less, especialy when you compare the prices of the movements at cousins. I now see these movement watches as a good alternative to ETA as they will be available in numbers for the forseable future and take ETA hand sizes.

Edit my Aqua Terra with an ST 18 still runns faultlessly after over 2 years and lots of abuse

Paul told me via PM and email that it is Swiss ETA all the way.....

Trustytimes site shows under the balance wheel clearly for me, no stampings, but I am browsing with opera and have the pages enlarged on my monitor.

This picture:

859523673b762fc31d82b2azn4.jpg

kings site has the rotor covering that area, but the price would indicate it is the Asian clone, but it is still listed as Swiss.

I am really tempted to go with King on the offer, but I am just not sure. Specially after reading the new delivery and returns policy.

I thought this Swiss/Asian clone thing was dead and buried, and that it was not going to happen any more. Did I miss a memo? :p

Any thoughts regarding the actual watch? It looks really good to my untrained eye ^_^

Be careful with this rep. Besides the movement thing, some of these new ones come with a laughable datewheel, which looks nothing like the gen.

Make sure you receive your watch the correct looking date.

And... I don't like the dial. I've never seen a gen YM where the coronet and 'L' in Rolex is positioned like that. All other dial fonts are off too. And even this better datefont is too thin.

See here (look how the coronet and L are positioned). It's all f**ked up on the rep, 'L' is positioned way too left. And no, there is no variation in this.

http://www.blowers-jewellers.co.uk/images2...6622_side_c.JPG

Be careful with this rep. Besides the movement thing, some of these new ones come with a laughable datewheel, which looks nothing like the gen.

Make sure you receive your watch the correct looking date.

And... I don't like the dial. I've never seen a gen YM where the coronet and 'L' in Rolex is positioned like that. All other dial fonts are off too. And even this better datefont is too thin.

See here (look how the coronet on dial and L are positioned). It's all f**ked up on the rep. And no, there is no variation in this.

http://www.blowers-jewellers.co.uk/images2...6622_side_c.JPG

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it ^_^

Maybe a noob dial would be a good upgrade? Also I have a noob DW overlay that would look perfect, would it be OK with the Seagull ST18?

Cheers! B)

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it ^_^

Maybe a noob dial would be a good upgrade? Also I have a noob DW overlay that would look perfect, would it be OK with the Seagull ST18?

Cheers! B)

Noob dial isn't perfect, either.

The best option is just to forget the whole damn watch. If they have cojones to ask $600 for these things, they'd better start doing things properly.

I'm fed up with these half-assed efforts. What is ok on a $200 rep isn't ok on a $600 rep.

Noob dial isn't perfect, either.

The best option is just to forget the whole damn watch. If they have cojones to ask $600 for these things, they'd better start doing things properly.

I'm fed up with these half-assed efforts. What is ok in a $200 rep isn't ok on a $600 rep.

I know what you mean and I agree 100%, I wish we could force them to change and list items correctly...

Kings price is $385, but that is still too high. I may go and order a BK-Yachtmaster, as I think it will cost a lot less, still undecided though..

The noob dial is OK, I am not going to try and get a gen dial! ;) ( although that would look so sweet! :lol: )

I hesitate to suggest this, but there is a chance you would get the same watch for $170.

I don't think that the Silix ROLS040 is very different from the watch you are looking at.

At least it isn't over $200 so it doesn't violate By-Tor's OK for things we can accept. For $600 I would also expect MUCH better.

Just ask Jay all of the questions you have and be prepared to wait. But he will get back to you at some point with an honest answer.

Carl

The movement is Seagull ST18. Same thing like what WM9 is going to used for Z series YM. That's why... this rep doesn't deserve 600 bucks pricetag on it.

EDIT: You may want to take a look at this one:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...er9+yachtmaster

Scroll down to see movement comparison.

Edited by takashi

Wow that dial looks the same! It seems the cooronet and L position may have appeared in gen like that then!

yacht2jk1.jpg

1195656651546165895cf9.jpg

Now who would sell this watch, but with a correct price point? Maybe a non cartel dealer? Any suggestions?

Thanks for the replies guys! ^_^

I think..... dial is good, but crown too thick,

If I will buy this, can I get & swap GEN yacht-master crown?

I doubt it very, very much, as the tube it screws onto will be different, not the same thread etc......

I have heard that "bklm1234" over on the other forums is getting some really nice crowns for about $30 each.

Wow that dial looks the same! It seems the cooronet and L position may have appeared in gen like that then!

Wow indeed.

I stand corrected. Never seen a dial like that before.

There seems to be tons of variation in YM, even more than I thought. I've found out that the SWISSMADE is constantly different. Also the datefont varies between thin and thicker version, plus the YACHT-MASTER font on the dial is different on almost every single watch.

I give up spotting the flaws with the YM. :D

PS: If the movement is really Seagull, then the dealers have a lot of explaining to do.

Wow indeed.

I stand corrected. Never seen a dial like that before.

There seems to be tons of variation in YM, even more than I thought. I've found out that the SWISSMADE is constantly different. Also the datefont varies between thin and thicker version, plus the YACHT-MASTER font on the dial is different on almost every single watch.

I give up spotting the flaws with the YM. :D

PS: If the movement is really Seagull, then the dealers have a lot of explaining to do.

It seems Rolex likes to keep everyone on there toes :p

I am really certain these are Seagull ST18 Asian movements, as was mentioned before, ETA sources of 2892 movements has dried up, they are simply not available for mass purchase.

Have a look here: (forum member "Omega" pictures, I hope you don't mind)

a922e6fa.jpg

Omega is selling a beautiful SFSO with a gen ETA2892 movement, Breilting decorated...

Notice the stamp under the balance wheel, other more experienced members could point out any other differences.

Like I said before, I had hoped we had seen the last of this, but it appears some dealers think we have short memories and they still want to price gouge like crazy, if they think they can get away with it.

What do you think this watch should sell for? $250 + delivery? $300 max?

Certainly nowhere near $600 that is for sure...

I am suprised this thread has not taken off a bit more with replies, are we becoming more acomidating, or acustomized to this kind of thing? So much so that we take it as par for the course?

I am suprised this thread has not taken off a bit more with replies, are we becoming more acomidating, or acustomized to this kind of thing? So much so that we take it as par for the course?

Yep, I agree.

I'm going to inform mr.Z about this thread now, and ask his opinion.

Yep, I agree.

I'm going to inform mr.Z about this thread now, and ask his opinion.

Cool, I look forward to hearing his opinion B)

Anyone else feel free to chimb in! :D

Would you be upset if you received an Asian clone instead of an advertised Swiss movement? I know I would, even if the Asian clone was great quality, it still is not ETA...

Maybe some of the dealers could chip in, but some how I doubt they will....

I've always said I learn so much more on this forum than any other, you guys are really sharp.

But this is depressing news, same old, this hobby is getting less and less fun.

The movement is indeed a Seagull 2892 COPY.

Markings or no markings under the balance, the easiest way to tell, check out the hairspring stud and regulator arm and pins.

ETA's all have removable stud and regulator arms installed into a forked slot.

Seagull regulator arms are two brass pins sticking up above the arm, and the stud is a screw down one.

Is anyone surprised by this...I am not, at least not anymore...

RG

I've always said I learn so much more on this forum than any other, you guys are really sharp.

But this is depressing news, same old, this hobby is getting less and less fun.

It's true the guys here know there stuff, thats for sure! ^_^

Feel free to contact your usual seller, and ask them about this watch. It would be interesting to hear the replies.

The movement is indeed a Seagull 2892 COPY.

Markings or no markings under the balance, the easiest way to tell, check out the hairspring stud and regulator arm and pins.

ETA's all have removable stud and regulator arms installed into a forked slot.

Seagull regulator arms are two brass pins sticking up above the arm, and the stud is a screw down one.

Is anyone surprised by this...I am not, at least not anymore...

RG

Thanks very much for your input The Zigmeisterzumba! B)

That settles it for me, dealers are still lying to us and asking silly amounts for what is a cheap Asian movement.

The Zigmeisterzumba, am I right in thinking that this movement quality is OK? A proper service and regulation and it should be a good workhorse?

Here is the exact PM reply from Paul (PAM111) regarding his YM offer:

"Hi Mike

Thank you for double check with me

it is swiss ETA 2892 ... not using Asian2892 for our item W-3310

you get what you see from my website, thanks

have a nice day

Paul"

Cheers! :D