When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Yachtmaster

Mickey Padge

quote =

I still think over $300 is too much for Asian clone based watch....

/quote

Absolutely.

I know for a fact that steel watches with screws in bracelet links, mg crystals, DG 2812/13 (Miyota clone) or Seagull ST6 powered sub, DJ, GMT, YM etc are $30 each (or less) in quantity in NYC (if you know where to get them) because a traveling watch seller who comes by the flea market a few times a year always has a load of them.

note: these watches are not Canal Street pot metal junk but very good steel cases, bracelets and dials. The Asian movement subs all had older style solid mid link bracelets, MG crystals, and more or less correct date fonts...some had open 6 and 9. Some casebacks have "monarchpolfy gelena shitinerand, stainless steel, 12600" some "montres rolex, geneva switzerland, 16610" etc...but most are blank. The GMTs have submariner crowns and the exp II have 6mm crowns. Almost all have plastic movement spacers.

The "swiss" models are usually the same as the internet dealers but you have to look them over to find the latest models.

If you are a dealer in China...buy the watch for $15, add another $10 or $15 for a sapphire crystal, sell them online for $129 and you can make a pretty good profit.

Add a sapphire crystal and a 2892 clone, sell them online for $329...and you can get rich.

The watches the traveller buys for $30 in NYC are probably $12 or $15 in China. The YM etc watches with a 2892 clone are probably $50 to $90 in China. (just a guess...maybe less, maybe more)

note: I can probably find the wholesale cost of the 2892 clone in China as I know a guy who buys movements etc from there. The ST6 is $5 or $6 and the DJ 2812/13 is about $10.

Material houses usually mark cheap movements up at least double because of defective returns. Cousins price on the 2892 clone probably represents a 100% mark up plus there is surely a middle man (or five) between the factory and Cousins.

The traleller might have the latest thing next time he shows up because he had some "swiss perfect subs" with hollow center links, stubby crown guards etc last summer.

You never know what he has and if you ask for anything specific...he can not pick it out because he is not a watch nut. It's just pot luck.

He told me he pays $110 each for eta 2836 powered watches (he sells them for $150). The Asian powered models cost $30 and he sells them for $50. You have to open each "swiss" watch to make sure it has the correct movement as the people he gets them from skin him now and then...like I said, he does not know much about watches.

They come 10 of the same model in a blister pack roll.

I put a new eta 2688 in a lady DJ that someone got from him a while back...the movement went DOA bcause it got wet. The 2688 is a 21600 bph, 17 jewel with day and date movement and you have to remove the day/date discs plus a few other parts and install the date disc with an overlay from the original movement when you change them out. That's why you have to open them up because they are sold to him as eta 25 jewel models and he does not open them.

They are all the same price, tutones and all...$150 from the back of his van. He gave me a few DOA Asian models last time around for showing him about the various "swiss" models. (I doubt it will do much good though)

If he shows up this spring, I will post what I see.

He had Illinois tags on his van last time he came by the flea market.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well - sorry - my "are yo ufor real" was somehow guided t the rep seller's description. Sorry if it sounded against you Mike, wasn't intended. Anyway - if it's indeed 14K wrapped, I will definitely buy one - wow. Is that Gold in disguise? :)

No problem Oliver, it's all good ^_^

I think he may want to update that listing quite a lot, like 14K white gold. Not including the movement description!

May I please ask admin/mods if contact has been made with the dealers involved?

Update: Andrew said that he didn't sell a single piece of this watch, and it has already been taken down from his site. Ok move in my book.

He said that he was relying on the factory description.

Anyone can PM the other dealers who sell this piece yourself (King and Paul), point them to this thread and ask them to do the same. I'm getting some sleep now.

Update: Andrew said that he didn't sell a single piece of this watch, and it has already been taken down from his site. Ok move in my book.

He said that he was relying on the factory description.

Anyone can PM the other dealers who sell this piece yourself (King and Paul), point them to this thread and ask them to do the same. I'm getting some sleep now.

OK that is good from Andrew, nice one By-Tor. Good to see nobody got burned on that piece ^_^

When I asked Paul about the Swiss movement not being Swiss, no ETA stamps etc....

He said this....

Quote:

"Hi Mike

Thank you for remind me... will be update the photo soon"

It appears he will update the movement pictures to show the true ETA version? I will like to see that, lets watch this space...

Anyone tried King? Might be tricky with the limited English....