When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 036 *Blast Case*

Quick Brick

Hey all ... after my 177 Ultralite CF dial with Ti case project was over, I had a few spare parts (well, maybe more than a few :p ) ... I was going to do an 005 project but then ran into somebody on another forum named Rex450 who showed off a few bead blased cases he had done, and I had to have one.

The goal was to build a near perfect PAM 036, sans the Ti case. This blasted SS case has a smooth, soft look, but all the edges are still sharp and crisp. I haven't been able to stop looking at it since it arrived today. He tells me the finish "wears" very well and will darken over time.

First some overview shots:

IMG_2407i.jpg

IMG_2402i.jpg

IMG_2404i.jpg

IMG_2421i.jpg

Have a look up-close at the fine casework ... this finish still blows me away:

IMG_2405i.jpg

IMG_2403i.jpg

IMG_2410i.jpg

I had Rex blast an engraved buckle for me. Neither one of us knew how it would turn out or if the engraving would survive the blasting. I picked out the most deeply engraved buckle from my collection:

IMG_2430i.jpg

IMG_2423i.jpg

This got a nice swiss movement that used to reside in my PAM 172 (incorrect for that model .... but that has been fixed now too :D ). It already had a high cannon pin and was correct for the 036. My original was not:

IMG_2416i.jpg

IMG_2420i.jpg

This manages to look modern and vintage at the same time. I can't wait to give this baby some wrist time :)

IMG_2412i.jpg

IMG_2413i.jpg

Hope you all enjoy the pics!

Edited by Quick Brick

Very nice :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I just got a bead-blasting setup, but I've only done stainless pieces...I'll have to give Ti a try!

Do you know what media he used on your case?

Sorry man ... maybe I wasn't clear. My bad. The case is blasted SS. Rex offered to do a Ti case for me, but I was afraid the soft Ti wouldn't hold the finish, and there would be no way for me to repair it like with brushed or polished. Unfortunately I do not know what media he used.

[ edit ] Fixed my original post to be more clear. Thanx. [ /edit ]

Edited by Quick Brick

Ahhh...Thanks, I missed that. (I guess I just read 036, and made the assumption that it was Ti).

Knowing that, and seeing the texture, I'd guess that he used medium glass beads (maybe 80 mesh), or fine aluminum oxide (120 mesh).

Can you share with us the info? I would like to have Sub done!

PM'ed

Thanx for the kind words all. Really having a TON of fun wearing this at work today. Found a co-worker I didn't know was a geek at all who did a double take ... and had a "starer" sitting next to me in a meeting this morning :D .

@ Sweattdogg ... really, on a gen PAM. I have never seen one ... I am not sure I would have the [censored] to do this to a gen :blink: .

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful job, but....I'd be a bit shy about wearing it a lot, because once you mar it, there's no easy way to restore it without reblasting...And I wonder how a Stainless steel case will "darken" with age...???..I have dozens of them, and none ever darken even a little bit....Some over 50 yrs old!!.....

BTW my 036 (in Ti) is one of my all time favorites...Love that tobacco dial!!

Beautiful job, but....I'd be a bit shy about wearing it a lot, because once you mar it, there's no easy way to restore it without reblasting...And I wonder how a Stainless steel case will "darken" with age...???..I have dozens of them, and none ever darken even a little bit....Some over 50 yrs old!!.....

BTW my 036 (in Ti) is one of my all time favorites...Love that tobacco dial!!

Thanx frankt ... I was a bit skeptical in the begining as well. I have worn this just about eveyday since I got it and I can tell you, the finish is indeed, tough. Unless you were to get a really big, deep scratch in the case, the finish seems to "hide" any small imperfection ... certainly better than my polished AND brushed examples do over time.

As for the darkening, I would assume that unless you took a toothbrush and soap or something to it, "stuff" would collect in the matte finish giving it a sort of patina. I am not saying this has happenened to mine yet, just that I am told that it will.