When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Today Finally Give My Dw 6265 Pn A Test

bertieng

As I am so impressed and confident with my DW 6265 PN which has the gen. T21, crown + tube, 78350/19 bracelet and a gen. working vj23 movement, so I decided to wear it for my U reunion party to give it a test. During the gathering one of my old colleague came up and said " wow, it is a very nice vintage Daytona, it must worth quite something". I was so amazed and nearly acended to the seven sky. Then next he asked if he can have a look of my PN, as I was so confident with the DW spec and with all the gen. parts installed, I gladly passed it over, and the nightmare started.

He commented "it really is a very nice piece, an almost perfect rep". This last statement immediately brought me back from heaven all the way down to hell. I gave him a questioning stare, he realized and said, " the real Daytona should weight much heavier, yours is really a good piece of art, if it is not the weight, it is very hard to tell if it is not gen".

I excused myself for the washroom, and slipped out of the side door and drove home at 180kmh immediately.

So, my question now is whether this guy's judgement was correct? The real 6265 is much heavier than DW's? If this is really the case, my next project is to look for a goldsmith to mill out the case based on the exact spec of DW's case using the 316 SS.

BTW- All vintage Rolex watches used 316SS; The 904L wasn't used until later (mid 80's) models...

He got a SS YM on his wrist.

So, DW's case should be using 316SS as well? If yes, then the weight of DW's case should be the same as the gen. case? Then this guy may just know nothing about vintage models.

BTW, you mentioned 904L being used in the modern models, does it mean the current reps are lighter than the gens eg. SS sub?

Yes- DW's case is 316, if I am not mistaken. I think your pal was taking a shot in the dark.... After all, what are the probabilities of someone owning a PN in new condition, and actually wearing such an example? Or, perhaps his YM was a rep too, and he is also a member of our forum.... Hmmmmmm...

I don't believe there is a weight difference between the two, nor are they different aesthetically (i.e tone, color)- What is different are the corrosive properties and nickel content....

Or maybe this guy had also a PN an knows exactly the weight of one. never ever remove your watch from your wrist. Your friend would have removed is platinum YM to let someone handle it? NO WAY.

I don't see people removing from their wrist a 20k watch except when this is for a GTC.

Or maybe this guy had also a PN an knows exactly the weight of one. never ever remove your watch from your wrist. Your friend would have removed is platinum YM to let someone handle it? NO WAY.

I don't see people removing from their wrist a 20k watch except when this is for a GTC.

I would assume this guy knows more than you would think especially if he used the exact term "rep" or "replica". In the 15 or so years i have been wearing replica watches I hae never heard someone use the term rep or replica. They usually say is tha watch "real" or "fake" or knockoff.

As for the weight issue, I have had a few genuine vintage rollies. They were definately much lighter. I had an 18K president with bark finish made in 1981 and my ss pres rep was a little heavier. I also bought a genuine riveted bracelet for my pn daytona and it was very flimsy.

So this guy either doesn't have a clue or is a member here.

Thanks guys for your comments.

I think I am now much more comfortable in continuing wearing my beloved 6265 if the weight is of no issue.

Looks like that guy was just trying to put me on trap for my lack of knowledge of a gen. vintage Daytona. Yes, it looks very new, but so what, it could have been touched up by Rolex just like my 78350 bracelet repolished completely like new by the Rolex service centre. It only cost me $20 to do it. :)

Frankly, a replica PN is VERY difficult to pass off as real to anyone that knows vintage Rolex watches. THink about it, you could count the number of like-new PNs that have no scratches or signs of wear on them on your fingers. They would be worth a small fortune. Are you extremely wealthy? Then the odds of you strutting around in a perfect PN are just about zero.

Once again as I have stated before, the most important factor in the believability of your rep is not the tube or the crown, it's you. You would have been better off wearing a nice sub or non-PN 6263 or something more believable if fooling people is a priority for you.

Edited by eye.surgeon

The bracelet on the DW 6263 is a dead giveaway. The original folded bracelt is much thinner, lighter and also narrower ay the clasp. Putting one on a DW is difficult, as the holes in the case are slightly farther away from the case than on a gen, but it can be made to work quite well with care. The weight of the whole watch drops dramatically with the gen bracelet. Quite surprising really. The general public has just enough knowledge about Rolex to think that all of them should be heavy, noy just those made of precious metal or the just plain big ones. The 6263 was by today's standards, a remarkably small watch.

The bracelet on the DW 6263 is a dead giveaway. The original folded bracelt is much thinner, lighter and also narrower ay the clasp. Putting one on a DW is difficult, as the holes in the case are slightly farther away from the case than on a gen, but it can be made to work quite well with care. The weight of the whole watch drops dramatically with the gen bracelet. Quite surprising really. The general public has just enough knowledge about Rolex to think that all of them should be heavy, noy just those made of precious metal or the just plain big ones. The 6263 was by today's standards, a remarkably small watch.

I see your point, that why I put on a gen. 78350/19 bracelet to match the DW. The only thing is that I don't have the 571 end links but the 57B instead. It still works nicely they snap into the lug holes straight away with no difficulties. BTW, I used the gen. Rolex 19mm springbars as well.

Yeah, I know an almost perfect 6265PN is quite impossible to find on the market, but I just love this piece so much, I will say this is my most beloved rep. amongst all the others I owed nowadays.

And the investment is not that big as compared with the PAM's having all that crown, AR, lume, cyclops, cannon pin, dtaewheeel etc. mods. involved. It is an never ending story.

I really don't see any shame in wearing a vintage PN Rep anyways. It's like classic cars, driving around a genuine 356 Porsche is just not practical-- they are expensive and hard to maintain and many people build reps as an homage to the original. Wearing modern reps is far more devious IMO.

I think your old colleague is full of [censored]. There can't be that much difference in weight between a gen and your rep, if any. And he can tell the difference just by holding it? I don't think so, Tim. As was stated earlier, the original folded link bracelets were so light weight (w/ narrow clasps, too) it isn't funny. I took mine off of a vintage Rollie and put a nicer rep bracelet on instead. Besides, that way I don't tear up the original bracelet.

I do agree w/ eye.surgeon though. I don't see anything wrong w/ wearing a PN rep, the originals are so outta sight pricewise, that it only makes sense to wear a rep. Keep your original in a safe. In fact, that could be your line- "Yeh, I have the original at a secret location in a safe!"

I wear a 6238 Pre-Daytona quite a bit and if I ever do get called down on it, my response is going to be, "Yeh, it's my $20,000 Rolex! Of course, I got it for a lot less, but that's what they go for these days." And keep it light and if they persist, "Yep, it's a rep, I can't afford (or don't want to pay for) an original."