When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question: What do you guys think of this project?

gavidoc

Ok. Here's the down low first so forgive me as I figured I'd introduce myself to you guys.

I'm new to Rep's. Found this place last year, registered, then forgot about it. I've owned real Rolex and real Tudors so fakes of those don't appeal to me. Panerais on the other hand have always piqued my interest. A buddy of mine got this and gave it to me in 2005. It was a POS but I found it interesting. I think it died a little over a year later.

panerai_1_01.jpg

So I started to do some research into this company called Panerai and came across their vintage stuff. I really like their vintage stuff and sometime 2006 I got this and aged it. Again, way before I knew of places like these.

panerai_2_02.jpg

And then last Aug. I was in an AD while in Hong Kong on business and tried one on for the first time and really enjoyed it...Just not the price tag. Fast forward to Sept. of 07 and I picked up a replica of the 3464 with Cali dial but it had some weird markings on it. It had California across the top and L Swiss L on the bottom. I easily took care of the California and the L's. It had a really bad strap so I put it on a Strap Culture and love the darn thing. This is what it looked like before the mod:

3737_1.JPG

Then I came across another one that I liked. The 6154 Rolex dialed one and I am in the process of making one of those. I bought a watch from an ebay seller that had the right (close enough but slightly too thick) case and the screwdown rolex crown and I'm getting one of TrustyTime's Rolex reps (wrong case, too large font {Not a problem for me} but correct hands). I'm going to have to polish the hands to make them gold but I'm cool with that.

6154_rolex.jpg

So, here's the thing. LIke I said, I found this site again after a year and right after I bought a rep 104 off of Ioffer. Here it is:

Not 100% accurate but it does have Super Luminova and keeps decent time. The cyclops is not really a magnifier but I'm ok with that. You see, I like the Titanium PAM's too but obviously don't need another manual wind so here is the project I was thinking of.

Taking the movement, bezel, lever, and a real stainless steel PAM crown and installing them into a titanium case. I've got a titanium/stainless bracelet which I know aren't made anymore and I figured it'd complete the look. In essence, a PAM 165 but with the 104 dial combo sans the cyclops.

1058865602690_vista_1_g.jpg

1058861960884_vista_1_g.jpg

What do you guys think? A TI/SS 104 Mod.

And thanks for reading this long post.

Hey why not? Sounds like a good project to me. It also sounds like you know your way around the internals of a watch, which is a lot more than I can say for myself. So, it should be good to watch you on your progress. Good luck and please post pictures.

z

in which titanium case for auto movement ???

rolli

Taking the movement, bezel, lever, and a real stainless steel PAM crown and installing them into a titanium case.

What do you guys think? A TI/SS 104 Mod.

And thanks for reading this long post.

Congrats on your former projects, I think that these forums make for a pretty good fit to your tendencies. :)

Did you post a pic of your 104? It did not show up.

Nice project you have there, I plaude it.

Just be advised that a gen like that actually exists, it's the PAM 209.

And why do you want it without the cyclops?

@Rolli,

I want the polished bezel and was going to look for a rep at the Guangzhou or Shenzhen Watch Markets when I go in April for business.

Otherwise I'll pick one up from perfect-clones. They have a good looking manaual wind with the titanium case and polished stainless bezel.

@SSSurfer

I wasn't aware that Panerai made one (209). Still new to PAM's. :)

Do any of our dealers make it? I haven't seen them for sale anywhere.

As for the reason of no cyclops, if you're going to use a white on black date wheel on a black dial, you're looking for the date to blend in with the dial. so why then make it obvious with the cyclops? I know Panerai does it but me being a designer by trade, it throws the look off for me. The date is something you look at occasionally as you need to, not something you look at on a consistent basis through the day so by removing the cyclops, it lets the date serve its intended purpose.

I did it on my real Tudor 9411 date sub and my Rolex 1680 when I had them.