When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Attn: BMW Enthusiasts/Owners - Need your Opinion!

hiker01

My best friend from Houston just called me and is giving me a shot to buy his 2002 BMW 740Il rather than trade it in!

Any info/feedback on this model will be highly appreciated. One thing I've found so far is that this particular model

have problematic IDrive system....this is from the BimmerForum!. It looks like this, but in Dark Blue (He's sending me

pictures later):

bmw740li3a.jpg

BTW: it has 50,000Miles; with Bimmers, it's still in break-in miles! Fully loaded with everything and 20" RIMS!

Thanks!

The 740iL is a great car, it has a smooth ride, large viewing area, and all passengers can bask in the comfort.

I would say that so far, the only two things that could have been re-thought was the transmission lever and iDrive.

The transmission lever is sort of reminiscent of the cars of the 80's, but it takes some getting used to as it is controlled electronically. The iDrive (although it was only its' first version), tried to prefect the art of simplicity, but only instead only made it confusing for its' owners. I know I was. But all you need is a Saturday afternoon to master it.

I've gone smaller since then and the wife has gone bigger (soccer mom). If I didn't have to give it up out of necessity, I wouldn't.

Initially, I would say go for it, but always check service records before buying. If he's your friend, maybe not, but it doesn't hurt to do a little due diligence.

Oh and BTW, is your friend's the 4-seater version or five?

My best friend from Houston just called me and is giving me a shot to buy his 2002 BMW 740Il rather than trade it in!

Any info/feedback on this model will be highly appreciated. One thing I've found so far is that this particular model

have problematic IDrive system....this is from the BimmerForum!. It looks like this, but in Dark Blue (He's sending me

pictures later):

bmw740li3a.jpg

BTW: it has 50,000Miles; with Bimmers, it's still in break-in miles! Fully loaded with everything and 20" RIMS!

Thanks!

wrong forum.

Idrive isnt that bad... (you need time to learn it) once you get used to its quirks its easy to work.

I would add a warranty on it... (unless you can afford unexpected repair costs on the 4.0 v8).

My last BMW an M3 newer than 2002 and less than 50k... repair/parts costs for 1 year were shocking.

The 740iL is a great car, it has a smooth ride, large viewing area, and all passengers can bask in the comfort.

I would say that so far, the only two things that could have been re-thought was the transmission lever and iDrive.

The transmission lever is sort of reminiscent of the cars of the 80's, but it takes some getting used to as it is controlled electronically. The iDrive (although it was only its' first version), tried to prefect the art of simplicity, but only instead only made it confusing for its' owners. I know I was. But all you need is a Saturday afternoon to master it.

I've gone smaller since then and the wife has gone bigger (soccer mom). If I didn't have to give it up out of necessity, I wouldn't.

Initially, I would say go for it, but always check service records before buying. If he's your friend, maybe not, but it doesn't hurt to do a little due diligence.

Oh and BTW, is your friend's the 4-seater version or five?

Hi Anton!

Thanks for the info! He's got the five seater version, I would assume! I never really paid attention to this particular model because I have my eye set on the 645Ci, but since he's selling price is so tempting, I might go for it!

So you're saying this is the first model that BMW put the IDrive in? I have the '98 740IL and I love it! It's been my baby since and only drive it in the summer! Thanks for the info on the IDrive system, I might have to fly to Houston a day early when I pick it up if the deal goes thru, just to get acquainted with it! Again thanks for the heads up!

wrong forum.

Idrive isnt that bad... (you need time to learn it) once you get used to its quirks its easy to work.

I would add a warranty on it... (unless you can afford unexpected repair costs on the 4.0 v8).

My last BMW an M3 newer than 2002 and less than 50k... repair/parts costs for 1 year were shocking.

But look at the info I'm getting already!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

If it's out of warranty, I could do most of the job myself, plus my brother is a certified Bavarian Mechanic! I've done most of the work on my 740!

Thanks!

Great engine ...I love my 540i , never ending power!!!!

I-Drive is easy, just take a little practice and then you'll wonder how you lived without it..

Only downside in the UK is cost of gas at over $2.50 a litre ....you are lucky enough not to worry about that.

Oh and Homer is right, running costs are not cheap so a warranty would be the best idea

:fish:

Great engine ...I love my 540i , never ending power!!!!

I-Drive is easy, just take a little practice and then you'll wonder how you lived without it..

Only downside in the UK is cost of gas at over $2.50 a litre ....you are lucky enough not to worry about that.

Oh and Homer is right, running costs are not cheap so a warranty would be the best idea

:fish:

Thanks, fish!

Believe me....we're getting to the European GAS costs here.....California is the worst! Although we're far from $7.50 a gallon yet! The Pundits are predicting $4 a gallon by late Spring/Early Summer! But when you drive this car, you don't think of GAS COST! You're in your elements inside this Babies!

Hi Anton!

Thanks for the info! He's got the five seater version, I would assume! I never really paid attention to this particular model because I have my eye set on the 645Ci, but since he's selling price is so tempting, I might go for it!

So you're saying this is the first model that BMW put the IDrive in? I have the '98 740IL and I love it! It's been my baby since and only drive it in the summer! Thanks for the info on the IDrive system, I might have to fly to Houston a day early when I pick it up if the deal goes thru, just to get acquainted with it! Again thanks for the heads up!

The 7-series for 2002 was thought to be "revolutionary" in its' own aspects. It had styling that was unconventional of BMW (thanks to Chris Bangle) and added alot of new features, one of which is notable the introduction of iDrive. Of course, critics had problems with it, but if it failed, then it wouldn't be ending up all the way to the current 3-series lineup.

The four-seater model is not very popular because those that buy them are usually owners who buy them not to drive, but to ride. The advantages of the four seat vs. 5-seat configuration was that the rear seats could also be adjusted. I think the center console also had its' own proprietary personal audio receiver and a small refreshment bar. Talk about luxury!

I've looked at the 645ci as well. But I'm more about the ride than the drive. And for some reason, everywhere I go, I always end up with passengers. I hear that the legroom of the rear is nothing to write home about. But that's not why you buy a coupe in the first place, right?

@noslen: the E60 has the second revision of the iDrive. BMW addressed concerns of usability and made "version 2" more user-friendly.

The 7-series for 2002 was thought to be "revolutionary" in its' own aspects. It had styling that was unconventional of BMW (thanks to Chris Bangle) and added alot of new features, one of which is notable the introduction of iDrive. Of course, critics had problems with it, but if it failed, then it would be ending up all the way to the current 3-series lineup.

The four-seater model is not very popular because those that buy them are usually owners who buy them not to drive, but to ride. The advantages of the four seat vs. 5-seat configuration was that the rear seats could also be adjusted. I think the center console also had its' own proprietary personal audio receiver and a small refreshment bar. Talk about luxury!

I've looked at the 645ci as well. But I'm more about the ride than the drive. And for some reason, everywhere I go, I always end up with passengers. I hear that the legroom of the rear is nothing to write home about. But that's not why you buy a coupe in the first place, right?

@noslen: the E60 has the second revision of the iDrive. BMW addressed concerns of usability and made "version 2" more user-friendly.

So, what you're saying is that there's really nothing mechanically wrong with the 2002 IDrive other than the critics not liking the system? That's crazy!

With regards to the setting config, I think I've seen that Mini BAR configuration in one of those actors 745! It could also be that in the 4 seating config, they use the middle part to drop down so that you could put in your Skis or golf bag with clubs like they have on my 740.

On the 645ci, I don't what is, but everytime I see it parked, I'll do a double take and drool over it....it's like seing a beautiful woman that stops you dead on your tracks and then stare and ogle! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Oh, reading the title I thought you were speaking of a BMW 2002 :(

That was an incredible car.

BMW-2002_800_01.jpg

Hi Stephane!

If you still have that baby running and in mint condition, WOW! That's a classic in my book! My Cousin-in-law have that in RED and its beautiful!

Enjoy your ride!

Hike!

I have a friend with a BMW that has the idrive. It rives him crazy. There is a slight delay between what you input, and what happens. It's a known fault apparently, and has affected the resale value of his car.

Now, that's a different experience! Have anyone else experience that??? B16, do you know what year and model by any chance?

Thanks!

Hey Hike, good overall car but definitely need a warranty. That was the first year I beleive for the new electronics in the bimmers and there are some quirks with it. It is not cheap to take care of this car if it is out of warranty. We did some work on a 745li for a friend and I can tell you he had a bunch of problems with his but his was under warranty.

Definitely a looker and a driver just some strange electronic components in that car. Good luck with the purchase.

I don't remember which one it was, or the year. It was known to BMW as a problem though, and the only way to fix it was to put a whole new system in, and not being the conventional rack and pinion, it wasn't going to be cheap! Might be worth trying the car out first to see if it has this delay problem.

Hike,

I wish I kept them all :(

I got a 2002 TI (Green) and a 1600 (Red) ...A DS21 Palace (Gold) ...Alfa Romeo Giullia 1600 (Red, my favourite)...all from the first half of the 70ies.

But I was young, had no storage facilities ...so now, they are all dead :angry:

Cheers and good luck :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Stephane

As a diehard Bimmer fan (too many Bimmers owned to mention), I'd suggest you stay away from an '02 iteration of the 7 series. They're known to be very problematic and if you don't have factory warranty you'll be up a creek without a paddle. My 2 cents.

Hey Hike, good overall car but definitely need a warranty. That was the first year I beleive for the new electronics in the bimmers and there are some quirks with it. It is not cheap to take care of this car if it is out of warranty. We did some work on a 745li for a friend and I can tell you he had a bunch of problems with his but his was under warranty.

Definitely a looker and a driver just some strange electronic components in that car. Good luck with the purchase.

Thanks J!

I don't remember which one it was, or the year. It was known to BMW as a problem though, and the only way to fix it was to put a whole new system in, and not being the conventional rack and pinion, it wasn't going to be cheap! Might be worth trying the car out first to see if it has this delay problem.

Thanks B!

Damn, Now you both are scaring me! This might not be a good buy after all! If I do this, I will definitely make sure that I'm covered for at least 2 years! I believe this particular model comes with a 100,000 mile warranty or 7 years? Correct me if I'm wrong!

Hike,

I wish I kept them all :(

I got a 2002 TI (Green) and a 1600 (Red) ...A DS21 Palace (Gold) ...Alfa Romeo Giullia 1600 (Red, my favourite)...all from the first half of the 70ies.

But I was young, had no storage facilities ...so now, they are all dead :angry:

Cheers and good luck :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Stephane

O man, that's too bad! But at least you've enjoy them, right?

Thanks, Stephane!

Just to give you an idea of my problems with Bimmer...

'01 E46 M3 --- entire tranny replaced under warranty

'03 E46 M3 --- motor replaced (TWICE!!!) under warranty. forced dealer to buy back under lemon law

My brother's '04 745i --- returned to Bimmer under lemon law

'07 Z4 3.0Si --- motor replaced under warranty. I'm about to lemon law this sucker too!!!

As a diehard Bimmer fan (too many Bimmers owned to mention), I'd suggest you stay away from an '02 iteration of the 7 series. They're known to be very problematic and if you don't have factory warranty you'll be up a creek without a paddle. My 2 cents.

Hi Ztech!

O $hit! It's not looking good now! You know, you're on to something koz that's the first thing I've read at the Bimmer Forum when I started poking around about this car! What scares me is buying it even with two year warranty, then it craps out after that........... :blowup:

I might just have to wait for the 645ci to come knocking on my door! I guess it might be the wrong car for now!

Thanks, Z!

Hike

'03 E46 M3 --- motor replaced (TWICE!!!) under warranty. forced dealer to buy back under lemon law

'07 Z4 3.0Si --- motor replaced under warranty. I'm about to lemon law this sucker too!!!

That's not good news! Sofar, I've been very lucky with my '98 740! Nothin' happenin' yet...knock on wood! Just need the front suspension upgraded! My upcoming summer project !

Maybe time to switch to Mercs? ;)

Hey Mate!

How's Bondi these days? I miss that place! Now real bad because of our pesky winter!!!!

Hike!

I am over Manly way, but has been a pretty average summer. But hey, the beach is still the beach over summer B)