When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

If you had a choice.. gen or rep + cash $$$ ?

milsub5517

If you had a choice.. gen or rep + cash $$$ ???  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What would you choose?

• Well modded PAM rep (111, 112 etc) + $3.5K
    • Gen

just curious. i know a lot of people here have gens and reps... but would you trade your reps + cash for gens?

I'll go the other way around!

I'm thinking of selling my Gen TT Blue Sub or Trade it with Rep +++++cash!

Any takers???

Done the Gen thing and feel it was money wasted. Waste = greatest sin for me. A good rep serves my purpose now. This is just my belief for me and I do not want people to think that I judge others by my standard. I have come to a point in my life that I am satisfied with a less extravagant footprint. Cheers

Gen 111 or 112 for me if you have the cash extra cash, if not then rep it up. I have a 127 rep, because I can't afford the real thing. I think the higher end watches are better values for reps. SMP and Tag Link Chrono can be had for $1k+ on TZ and the bay if you are patient. I won't pay $300+ for those, because I'd rather save and buy the real thing. Just my 2-cents.

Also gen may have better resale. 2 years ago gen 111 or 112 on TZ under $3k now $3.5k. Rep 111 was $400. Rep 111 from 2 years ago now worth $200, gen went up in value easily $200-$300 if not abused. So I'm better off by $500 having bought the gen over the rep. Granted I now have $3K tied up. The math isn't perfect and I won't debate that, but I still think the point can be made for certain watches.

Edited by Sweattdogg

Done the Gen thing and feel it was money wasted. Waste = greatest sin for me. A good rep serves my purpose now. This is just my belief for me and I do not want people to think that I judge others by my standard. I have come to a point in my life that I am satisfied with a less extravagant footprint. Cheers

Hi Raijor!

How are you? Weather over yonder getting any better? I'm still enjoying the YM! How are the straps goin for you? Shot me some pics if you have them!

The Gen thing??? You and me both are in the same boat.....I'm starting to unload some of mine! Just keeping a few. Got rid of most of them already!

Take care!

Hike!

Hi Raijor!

How are you? Weather over yonder getting any better? I'm still enjoying the YM! How are the straps goin for you? Shot me some pics if you have them!

The Gen thing??? You and me both are in the same boat.....I'm starting to unload some of mine! Just keeping a few. Got rid of most of them already!

Take care!

Hike!

Hi Pal, things are warming up here in the great white north. I am wearing one of the straps on my SS Ferrari and will post pics... it is both beautiful and comfortable. I am using the Key fob too ... thanks

As a "collector" reps meet the need that my wallet can't and allow me to have a wide choice of models to wear.

They don't really make commercial sense as investments (maybe a couple do) but are a cheaper way to mess about with modding and learning about movements etc which is what the hobby is about for me.

I'm really not sure if pure gen wearers or collectors have much interest messing with watches themselves ...as a rule I suspect investment is higher up the scale.

If I can get through "rep collector" rehab I'm sure I'll come out the other side as gen owner but still have some "select" franken reps that are just too good to part with.

Personally would not invest in a new entry level"gen" prefer to search out a very nice second hand model- would love 001,002,004,009...but if and "when" my luck comes in .....a 233 GMT is top of my wish list.

Personally would not invest in a new entry level"gen" prefer to search out a very nice second hand model- would love 001,002,004,009...but if and "when" my luck comes in .....a 233 GMT is top of my wish list.

I agree on this 100%. I have never bought a brand new gen. I have several used that look new for the price of 1 that would have been new!

I would take the gen.

Put it another way, say you buy a Swiss 6497 powered PAM for $300. Upgraded crown and installation = $120; Dial relume = $120; High/flattened cannon pin = $100?

You're at nearly $650 and you haven't even replaced the crappy rep strap! I've got over $700 into my Davidsen 010D and almost that much into my 001B. At that rate 4-5 modded PAMs gets you a good condition 2nd hand gen.

As the owner of one gen PAM, I would take another gen over 4-5 more reps...

YMMV

I would take the gen.

Put it another way, say you buy a Swiss 6497 powered PAM for $300. Upgraded crown and installation = $120; Dial relume = $120; High/flattened cannon pin = $100?

You're at nearly $650 and you haven't even replaced the crappy rep strap! I've got over $700 into my Davidsen 010D and almost that much into my 001B. At that rate 4-5 modded PAMs gets you a good condition 2nd hand gen.

As the owner of one gen PAM, I would take another gen over 4-5 more reps...

YMMV

Your logic is very sound ;)

A gen is essentially a financial investment (depending on the brand ofcourse). Not only will you wear it, but you're 'babysitting' it to pass onto your children or any other loved ones, and they in turn would probably do the same. After many years, that $2000-4000 you spent might be worth $100 K in the future. If I had the money to make such an investment, I would :) (but only if I knew it would bring in much more in the future :lol:)

find me modded 111 for $200. please.

You won't find a modded 111 for $200, but our most of our dealers didn't sell modded out of the box back then. A good 111 from any of our dealers would have been $300-$350 and had 1) thin crown 2) No SL on hands or dial 3) Either a swiss movement with incorrect bridges and a low cannon or a asian hi beat with no swan neck 4) Probably Sapphire, but you would be taking your chances 5) a crappy rep strap that probably isn't even leather. The watch would now be 2 years old with no service. I'm sure I can find these for $200 or less.

I love watches, and what I can afford to buy are replicas...but the love is for the watch itself. For me, this question needs some perspective. If I were in a situation where I could easily spend the money on a genuine and not sell a kidney, then I would buy a genuine. If this extra cash is expendable, get the genuine...if it's money you could really use to pay off a credit card or something, get the rep!!!

I don't understand the logic behind the 'investment' aspect. If I like a watch, I wouldn't then sell it (even if it's price appreciated), because I'd then be minus the watch I liked. :huh: I can appreciate 'babysitting' a watch to pass on, but again, that is not going to be sold...

On the issue of the poll, I'd take the rep and cash any day. Why spend more for something just because it's 'gen', than something which will do the exact same thing: Tell the time. And, unless it has glaringly obvious flaws in construction, look perfectly nice and presentable.

I don't understand the logic behind the 'investment' aspect. If I like a watch, I wouldn't then sell it (even if it's price appreciated), because I'd then be minus the watch I liked. :huh: I can appreciate 'babysitting' a watch to pass on, but again, that is not going to be sold...

On the issue of the poll, I'd take the rep and cash any day. Why spend more for something just because it's 'gen', than something which will do the exact same thing: Tell the time. And, unless it has glaringly obvious flaws in construction, look perfectly nice and presentable.

Shoutout to you my friend!!! How's the project going??? Hope the family are not driving you nuts!

I voted for the rep + cash. Having said that, I've been considering a genuine for about 6 months. I'm still on the fence, and will probably remain there for at least another six months. If I come across a good deal, I might jump to the other side. However, If I can find a good dial and a Jimmy Fu crown guard or pick up one of V's project crown guards before I find the good deal, I'll remain on the rep side.

My goal is to eventually be able to take my watch apart and service the movement myself (I'm going to do the TZ watch class when I have time). With that in mind, I want a good rep. I'm not foolish enough to attempt working on a genuine.

I agree with what you are saying. I would not sell a watch that I LIKE to wear, but I see gens as a financial investment only :lol: Why buy them when you can essentially get the same look and feel in a rep? I would buy reps for my own pleasure, and buy gens purely for a financial investment. If during my life, a gen I owned peaked its value, I would sell it and take the money rather than pass it on :lol: but thats only if I knew it wouldnt increase further.

I used to buy gens - didnt really know about the rep scene, but then I had my AP ROO T3 stolen, and that loss just made me realize how rediculous it was to pay that amount of money for something to wear, unless money is no issue what-so-ever.

SO I sold ALL my gens, which included several PAMs, and Urban J

Edited by Manitou

Another thing about gens is that the regular maintenance they deserve to keep their value will cost allways as much as a decent rep. So take care of your gen watch and you will find out that your chances of getting a profit out of the resale value will be not easy. Most watches don

Another thing about gens is that the regular maintenance they deserve to keep their value will cost allways as much as a decent rep. So take care of your gen watch and you will find out that your chances of getting a profit out of the resale value will be not easy. Most watches don
Edited by Manitou

Yeah it's very specific brands and models that actually rise enough in value to justify not making the investment elsewhere - also taking into account the maintenence.

But it is possible to make quite a lot of money on gens - you just need to be on your toes and do a lot of research (and not get your stuff stolen like blunt heads like me do :rolleyes: )

And you need to be lucky... Same thing as on stock market. Research, market developement and luck. There is no 100% safe investment in life.

And you need to be lucky... Same thing as on stock market. Research, market developement and luck. There is no 100% safe investment in life.

No watches are definitely not a "no-brainer" investment. But on the other hand, it's a more rewarding way to make money that speculating in currency, stock markets or whatnot. A little like investing in Art.

Edited by Manitou