When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

112 Base Dial Flaws?

bbell6

I was under the impression that the regular rep sandwich dial was inaccurate for several reasons.

But to name a few:

1) 2 is not correct

2) Luminor is slightly higher than it should be

3) Panerai is slightly lower than it should be

4) "L SWISS MADE L" is too close to the 6

Maybe I've got some of these wrong. This may have been discussed before, but I stumbled across a picture on the Panerai web page that makes me wonder about numbers 2, 3, and 4. Panerai Web Page. When the web page comes up, click on the Luminor pic. The picture that comes up is a left handed base. This dial looks a lot like the one in my 112 replica.

That one on Panerai site is a real McCoy :-)

Just to add couple of more flaws to your list of rep 112H dial:

- numerals 6 and 9 are wrong shape, mainly the tip and overhang.

- Luminor Panerai dial txt color is crisp white on rep (like pre-H series sausage dials), and should be cream off-white like the txt found on rep Radiomirs, or Fiddy.

cheers,

babola

That one on Panerai site is a real McCoy :-)

Just to add couple of more flaws to your list of rep 112H dial:

- numerals 6 and 9 are wrong shape, mainly the tip and overhang.

- Luminor Panerai dial txt color is crisp white on rep (like pre-H series sausage dials), and should be cream off-white like the txt found on rep Radiomirs, or Fiddy.

cheers,

babola

Thanks for the input regarding the additional flaws. But do you agree that issues 2 through 4 described above don't appear that far off when comparing them to the dial on the Panerai site?

Thanks for the input regarding the additional flaws. But do you agree that issues 2 through 4 described above don't appear that far off when comparing them to the dial on the Panerai site?

I think if you want to find photos to compare, you'd be better off finding photos *NOT* shown on the Panerai website. Panerai.com is famous/infamous for using photos of "prototype" or "pre-production" models that are, in a lot of cases, not accurate representations of the watches actually sold.

I think if you want to find photos to compare, you'd be better off finding photos *NOT* shown on the Panerai website. Panerai.com is famous/infamous for using photos of "prototype" or "pre-production" models that are, in a lot of cases, not accurate representations of the watches actually sold.

Ok, that makes sense. The rep manufacturers tried to copy what was on the site and the production model looks different.

Thanks

Is that why, the reps are so flawed compared to the gens? I've always wondered that. Is it because they're repping them from pictures rather than a real model? I just thought they're working on the reps after the factory closes and the happy hour ends.

You never know why there are the flaws there are. It wasn't until a knowledgeable forum member told me the principal reason why we often are looking at A's with too low a crossbar. It turns out that Panerai uses a custom designed font set and the font that most closely matches and is readily available to the manufacterers matches well on most letters but a capital A is not one. ;)

• 1 month later...

I don't get it? So what? I never said, that it is supposed to be as close as on the picture posted by me. It was just aimed to the people who think that Panerai might use Prototypes for these kind of pictures.. and obviously they do. Which also might be the reason why the dial on the reps is wrong. Or maybe the AD took the picture for the panerai ad himself using a rep... :rolleyes: