When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

44mm Marina Militare

bbell6

I like the looks of this watch and am considering purchasing it. However, prior to purchasing, I thought I'd ask if there are any negatives associated with this watch that I should be aware of? Thanks in advance for you input.

If sapphire crystal they are prone to failure. I like the manual wind Panerais - pretty reliable movements

Edited by Geeeyejo

This is the 44mm "mini-Fiddy" case, right?

They are far less prone to crystal problems from reports on the forums. I believe it did happen to 1 or 2 guys over at RWI, though. The sad news is that I don't think anyone offers a sapphire crystal for this watch. The happy news is that CousinsUK has domed acrylic crystals that fit this watch, so if yours breaks, you have options. ;)

If you're cool with it being a fantasy watch, there's not really much more to talk about with this one. It's a fine watch, IMO.

This is the 44mm "mini-Fiddy" case, right?

They are far less prone to crystal problems from reports on the forums. I believe it did happen to 1 or 2 guys over at RWI, though. The sad news is that I don't think anyone offers a sapphire crystal for this watch. The happy news is that CousinsUK has domed acrylic crystals that fit this watch, so if yours breaks, you have options. ;)

If you're cool with it being a fantasy watch, there's not really much more to talk about with this one. It's a fine watch, IMO.

Thanks for the input. I think it is the mini-Fiddy case, but I'm not sure. Yes, I knew it was a fantasy watch and that is fine with me. I just wanted to know if people had bought the watch and it had problems (like the crystal issue). Good to know that I can get the crystal from CousinsUK. I might want to buy one when I buy the watch just in case.

In the real world, Synthetic Sapphire = Sapphire!

If this watch has mineral glass, there should be no mention of the word "Sapphire" anywhere in the description, which leads me to believe Andrew is mislabeling his products (again). There was a whole thread about dealers "lies" and false advertising (started by Pugwash I think). Always ask the dealer before purchasing if the watch has a sapphire crystal or mineral glass!

Hammertime.

Edited by HammerTime

In the real world, Synthetic Sapphire = Sapphire!

If this watch has mineral glass, there should be no mention of the word "Sapphire" anywhere in the description, which leads me to believe Andrew is mislabeling his products (again). There was a whole thread about dealers "lies" and false advertising (started by Pugwash I think). Always ask the dealer before purchasing if the watch has a sapphire crystal or mineral glass!

Hammertime.

I agree, it is misleading. However, he at least does have the paranthetical letting you know that it is mineral glass. I don't know if this is a change due to the previous uproar or if it was always described in this manner. However, I am in total agreement, "Synthetic Sapphire" has an understood meaning.

Synthetic Sapphire is taken to mean a sapphire which was artificially grown, rather than 'fake' sapphire.

As you mention knowledge of Andrew mislabelling his products, that's very trusting of you to consider doing business with him...

The watch itself... Fantasy or otherwise, it looks nice. I'd wear it.

Best of luck with your purchase :)

Hi bbell,

I have been one who early criticized the "synthetic sapphire" denomination. That issue has already been addressed elsewhere on this forum. I seem to remember that Andrew started the name, then Josh & others aligned. It was because other non-RWG dealers were even calling glass as sapphire.

I asked one of "our" collectors about it, and he explained that that name comes from the crystal being glass with the add-on of a synthetic anti-scratch coating that makes it almost as scratch-resistant as sapphire (?!?), hence the name "synthetic sapphire".

Funny, I know, but at least better than having it advised simply as "sapphire"... ;)

If you want to get a plexi from Cousinsuk, here is the link:

http://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/4/2077/2088.aspx

Click on the "High Dome Sternkreuz HWS" javascript link.

In the page that opens, select the HWS Sternkreuz 37.2 HWS372, or the 37.0 HWS370 (any

TJ, I am on your side on this, but because of even more extreme reasons.

:o:lol:;)

My point is that ALL sapphire used in watch industry is artificially grown, so there is no need to tell "synthetic sapphire", it is a redundance. We should only swallow two denominations: 1) sapphire and 2) glass (even "mineral glass" is redundant).

But I can understand that as we make just for a mere 5-10% of all dealers' customers, they have to compete on the Internet field, where other dealers are even more elusive.

You're quite right there, it is a redundance, probably just one of those technical terms which gets lost in translation (to be necessary) For example, with my phone, when the headphones are plugged in, the display flashes "Headphones plugged in!" When they are removed, rather than saying "Headphones unplugged!", it flashes "Headphones plugged out!" :lol: Technically, it is correct, they are 'plugged out', but, that's not how someone would normally say it. Maybe it's the case with synthetic sapphire, and they (whoever 'they' may be) have come to believe that they need to specify it as synthetic, rather than natural sapphire :)

Yes, *acrylic* crystals are quite inexpensive. 37.2mm is the one you want. I had vaccum install my Sternkruez LOW DOME acrylic crystal and he said it fit better than any other one he's installed. Even so, you could still spin the crystal in the bezel after the install. vac offered to glue it, but since I wasn't worried about water resistance, I told him not to bother.

LOW DOME

This is an interesting point that we should explore further.

I tried both low dome and high dome and to my eyes high dome was the most similar to the original (still not 100%, though).

Any other opinion/experience?

Well, as it's a fantasy watch, I wasn't really concerned with accuracy, surfer. ;)

I just wanted to make the distinction as I'm not sure the fitment of the low dome and hi dome (even in the same 37.2mm size) is the same. That was the only reason I bothered to state what I got.

Edited by peepshow

bbell6 - i love this mini fidy case. In fact - this is the watch that I am trying to find a nonbranded dial for. I currently have a cali dial which will fit - but was hoping for something else.

right now - i am considering this dial from DSN -

DSCF4797.jpg

The one on the left. But i was really hoping to find a nice 44MM dial, non branded, that has the seconds in use. Other than the price and the dial - i think that the minifiddy is a great watch. Perfect look.

I was really hoping to find a nice 44MM dial, non branded, that has the seconds in use. Other than the price and the dial - i think that the minifiddy is a great watch. Perfect look.

How difficult would it be to take a branded 111 sandwich dial and convert it to nonbranded? Could you take it appart and paint the top black and then put it back together? I suppose it would also be a good time to add some superlume while you have it apart.

• 3 weeks later...

If you do not want that exact dial but you rather like the case and overall look, finding a minifiddy might prove a little easier.

I got mine from TWP (absent now?), but also Paul was selling it.

Beware: I actually ordered one from Paul before finding it from TWP, and Paul delivered a different watch.

If you do not want that exact dial but you rather like the case and overall look, finding a minifiddy might prove a little easier.

I got mine from TWP (absent now?), but also Paul was selling it.

Beware: I actually ordered one from Paul before finding it from TWP, and Paul delivered a different watch.

I was hoping to find the watch with the same dial (I'm not crazy about the little second hand). I also really like the older style font and the lack of "Panerai" on that particular dial. However, I suppose I could pick up a minifiddy, and then change to regular sandwich dial. If I can't find that watch, I guess that may be my only choice.