When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

NDtrading/Vietnamese watch cases

mezzanine

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For $300-$400 I would jump on 1 of these cases myself. But I would replace the insert & I think the other Vietnamese caseback, the 1 with the single crown, is closer to the gen than this 1 is. Not that it is bad, but I think the other 1 could pass as a gen (after a slight bit of refinishing).

The 1570 requires only a bit of trimming of its outer (removable) ring to shoehorn it into a standard MBW case. Ziggy recently posted a message detailing his experience doing this.

I guess the question is - do you modify a 1570 - or do you modify the case. I for one, would prefer to leave the 1570 exactely as is - since it is far more valueable.

UPDATE: just read The Zigmeister's post on the datewheel holder ring on the 1570. It makes sense. Easy to replace and less risk. Ok - so maybe I will give up on the ND case. The only problem now is the the MBW case has that lousy etched HE valve. I will have to re-read the posts on that modification.

What' the purpose of modding a rather incorrect looking MBK case with a gen movement - just because of the date? You miss the HEV

The Search function does not appear to be working now ('connection to localhost:3312 failed'), but you can add a working Hev

1665hev.jpg

you miss the movement extraction cut out

A few minutes with a dremel will solve that.

you miss the rear case edges and steps

You lost me here?

you miss the correct CG's

A few more minutes with a dremel will solve that

genparts020bw1.jpg

And the CGs on the Vietnamese cases still need a bit of tweaking to get them to look like this anyway.

the serials and the caseback... so many flaws I wouldn't go for such a case...

The MBW caseback can be made to look very close to gen with a bit of sanding/polishing

Image7_1024.jpg

(This pic was taken before gen end links were fitted)

Other than you or your watchmaker, who is going to see the serial numbers?

if you open the case - it's easy to notice.

If the price for the Vietnamese case was reasonable (no more than $400), I would agree with you. But not when you have to pay $1,000+. And I would be very surprised if the prices for these cases does not drop, alot, within the next year.

I don't think you will see a price drop, the fact that you can use a Rolex calibre movement and these parts, along with the crop of Singer redials showing up with lots of vintage choices ... you can create quite an array of franken projects without a lot of effort.

What this will do is inflate the price of vintage movements as they will become more in demand, all of a sudden a 15XX calibre inside a mid-size boys watch in sad cosmetic condition is worth a lot more because you can jack the motor out of it and turn it into DRSD or some other rarity.

.....What this will do is inflate the price of vintage movements as they will become more in demand, all of a sudden a 15XX calibre inside a mid-size boys watch in sad cosmetic condition is worth a lot more because you can jack the motor out of it and turn it into DRSD or some other rarity.

my prefferred sport is to make franken... i can only tell that to buy a val72 two years ago cost me 400 euro....now i can find them about at 700-800 euro ...

same story with 1520 and 1030...

these vietnam case as for the Phong ones are simply perfect... this is the reason why i will continue to spend for them...

anybody go to Ho Chi Minh city, on Hai Ba Trung street?

my prefferred sport is to make franken... i can only tell that to buy a val72 two years ago cost me 400 euro....now i can find them about at 700-800 euro ...

same story with 1520 and 1030...

There is a big difference between gen Valjoux & Rolex movements and Vietnamese made cases, which directly affects their value & pricing.

These movements are highly sought after & supplies are limited (since they have not been manufactured for several years). Meanwhile, manufacture of these Vietnamese (& copy cat) cases will only increase in time. When demand is high & supply is limited, prices go up. But when the demand is marginal (there is a very small number of buyers of these Vietnamese cases) & supplies are plentiful (& increasing), prices go down. This is basic supply vs demand.

There is a big difference between gen Valjoux & Rolex movements and Vietnamese made cases, which directly affects their value & pricing.

These movements are highly sought after & supplies are limited (since they have not been manufactured for several years). Meanwhile, manufacture of these Vietnamese (& copy cat) cases will only increase in time. When demand is high & but the supply is limited, prices go up. But when the demand is marginal (there is a very small number of buyers of these Vietnamese cases) & supplies are plentiful (& increasing), prices go down. This is basic supply vs demand.

this is the reason cause i'm still buying movements....

i don't get the hype about this Vietcong cases but anyway :

how can i identify an viet 1680 case ?

my 1680 has all the correct marking - even in the caseback, good crown position,

but gen dials still need to be shaved to fit in - is this also the case with viet 1680s ?

thanks !

Frank

justasgood, I still dont know what is your preferred case, I dont know exactly where to look at the pics.

Both cases seem very identical to me.

I prefer the NDTrading case.

If you look at the area where the "ears" of the endlink rest, you can see the edging/step of the NDT case in the picture here The watch at the bottom with the smooth fold-over is the NDT:

014-3.jpg

As well as at the base of the crown/tube:

006-4.jpg

Now the MBW has only a smooth transition from where the caseback covers to the edging of the case shown here:

030.jpg

029.jpg

here are a few more of the NDT. I would say it is like a Channel that that surrounds the caseback:

003-6.jpg

002-3.jpg

001-5.jpg

I hope this helps ....