When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

NDtrading/Vietnamese watch cases

mezzanine

I was noticing recently that there is a greater number of members who are branching out from the conventional channels through which most of us have conventionally sourced parts. There are other options out there for those of us who are transfixed by the idea of being able to create projects on rep bases on something other than just the MBK's. The only models that MBK offers that are good for this purpose are the 1680 and 1665. I know there are others, but they're variations on those two basic models.

I am curious if there's a way to arrange a wholesale supplier of these for those of us who are looking for more value than what they're seeing on the websites or on ebay. I don't know if there's enough demand, or whether the folks that have access to these would even be able or willing to hook us up here.

I know that they'd be more expensive than an MBK- you're paying for what you get, I'm sure. I just don't think we fall into the same category of folks that they generally rely on for their business. I think for the most part, they target the genuine Rolex owners who are looking at these reps as a fall-back option. The point being that the majority of their business probably comes from genuine Rolex owners. As a result, I think they price them accordingly.

I just wonder whether we could arrange something through Phong for something that we wouldn't have access to more usually...like the Tudors that he supposedly arranged, but something that would be more popular, like an Explorer case. It seems as though we may have neglected this option due to the price of their cases as well as the availability of MBK's that are souced more cheaply and easily.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Locally the cases are very cheap. So actually having somebody there picking them up would be better.

Good point. I think that's the key- having someone that is able to be an intermediary that would be willing to do something of a 'group buy' at a price that would ensure them a worthwhile profit, while giving us a chance to get one of these cases at a more reasonable price than what we would get through Phong.

I don't understand how it's different than the situation with the MBK's. I am guessing they're not available from a single location, like the MBKs are. It seems like it's a matter of logistics. It also seems like this would be a natural evolution with the growth of the hobby, etc.

I'm not sure if the viet-cases are shrouded in the same type of mystery as the MBW's used to be. I would think that there would be significant interest in a 1:1 Explorer case, for example. Even a 1665 case, from what I've seen, is enough of an upgrade over the MBK 1665 case that it would probably draw significant interest.

Or even better, a 1680 that would fit a gen dial without mods, etc...

i can do that if there is address to go to since my friends don't know much about watches.

i was there for 3 weeks last April but did not hunt for watch related stuff since i don't know such

a good oppotunity and i speak the language.

so shoot me an pm or email if you have addresses.

Wow, I wasn't even thinking that there would be any interest in this, and I laughed when I saw Oli replied cause I figured I should've just put it in a PM because that would be the end of it.

DVN, that's awesome if you're able to speak vietnamese and have friends who live there. I wonder if, with a little bit of work, we might be able to track down the source of these things directly. Considering the mark-up on the MBW's, and considering that NDtrading sells primarily to a genuine owner market, I am hoping that we may discover that they're affordable, and if so, the possibility of branching into uncharted territory is wide-open.

I'm fairly certain there would be substantial interest in the success of this venture. B)

I have what appears to be a Viet case on my MBW 1680 and the crown position is darn near perfect. Perhaps Maria used some these cases in the past?

I would be interested as well. :p

I would be very interested, but not at the current prices listed on ND Trading and Jewelry & Watch. Thats just crazy $ for Replica stuff.

I was quoted $600 from one of my sources for a replica 1016 case. That is a bargain compared to the website prices, but still too much money.

Guest avitt
600$ is AFAIK still more than the local price after some haggling.

Local price is probably <$100...

I've been thinking about this for a while...Many Vietnamese people work for my company, but I've been hesitant to investigate. I know that the government there is very restrictive, and I wouldn't want anyone I know to risk punishment.

Another option would be to commission some pieces from DW. I asked David for 1665 cases in 2006. He said that he could make 1655, 1665...anything I wanted, and asked me for the movement dimensions. The quoted price was very reasonable (half of what we've been discussing for the Vietnamese cases).

Now, this would probably be a ground-up development, so there would surely be some bugs to work out. But considering what he was able to do with the Daytona cases, it might be a good option.

It is too late for me as I have just oredered a 1665 case from ND but the comparison between a Vietnam case set and the MBW/MBK watches is not quite a fair one on one deal.

An MBW is a complete watch that can be worn straight away without adding genuine parts if required but the ND/Phong cases are only that, cases! They are machined to accept genuine parts only and this is where the true expense and time comes into it. It is all well and good getting cheaper cases from Vietnam and I'm all for that on any future projects but you will spend 4-5 times more on the parts required for a convincing watch than the few hundred dollars a case will cost.

I realise some of you will be aware of this but some may not be and Oliver opened my eyes to the detail that can be acheived from what is not really to be classed as a replica but more a gen watch with an aftermarket case. You will certainly spend a similar amount that could be paid for a genuine 2-3 year old Submariner.

I have already spent close to $4000 and still need a gen clasp and 4 links for the bracelet for my 1665 GWSD project. Everything is of the vintage and totally genuine apart from the dial and case and brand new 585 end links. Dials alone can cost $2-3000!

I just thought I should add this to the post more for the newbies than anything else and will be showing off my pride and joy very soon. B)

Not necessarily- if you look at repaustria's 1655, he fitted his with an ETA movement.

I would be intrigued with both a 1680 and 1665 from NDtrading, but considering the community has had these available in the form of MBK's. I would imagine that a high % of the people that would be interested in a vietnamese case would already have a 1665/1680 from MBK. That's the only catch.

I could be wrong about that, though. Hopefully it wouldn't matter, and people could choose from the possibilities listed on Phong's website.

The idea of building a watch from the ground up doesn't scare me as much any more.

030.jpg

042-1.jpg

011-4.jpg

010-4.jpg

002-4.jpg

006-4.jpg

008-2.jpg

So here is the ridiculous cost of my project:

Dial and hands Gen and NOS: $550.00

Case from NDT: $950.00

Gen 1560 Movement donated from 1963 Rolex Oyster: $800.00

Gen NOS bezel and insert including crystal retention ring: $250.00

Gen T-19 Crystal: $40.00

Gen crown/tube $60.00

Gen Bracelet w/580 end pieces: $200.00

Gen spring bars: $10.00

Gen caseback gasket: $2.00

Movement serviced assembled and cased by my watchmaker: $free

Total: $2862.00

I'd buy another NDT case if I had the ca$h. My watckmaker was quite impressed with the overall quality and finish as well as the ease of pullin my All Gen 5513 together.

Not to mention that dealing with Natalie was a great experience.

Peace!

quote =

I am in for this case. Yes - i will have to buy all the other parts - but that is ok with me. However, there is no way i am willing to pay ND prices when i know they are worth perhaps half that. I believe that the HRV valve on this one is "working".

/quote

I have a similar case, the he valve is made the same way and it might work but I would not trust it in water. I noticed the leaf type tension spring had moved out of place after wearing the watch for a while and let most of the tension off the valve so I bent the leaf spring a little to apply more tension and hopefully keep it in place...so far it has stayed in place.

There is a little O ring on the plunger valve that might seal up under water...maybe not.

The theory is that tension spring pressure will seal the he valve in shallow water and outside water pressure will increases tension on the he valve O ring and seal up tighter the deeper you go...on a genuine watch.

just to share...

those cases are made for gen rolex movements (not ETA). The way the case is machined are very much the same as gen. so the sellers base their prices on the value of gen watches.

the result of the project is at least a few notches better than what's discussed in this forum mostly. You can also get dials and hands that are much more accurate. i built a few with gen rolex movements and they are pretty much perfect.

i also noticed a handful of suspicious pieces even auctioned in antiquorum from time to time......

Justasgood, can I ask where you were able to score a genuine bracelet for so cheap? I noticed in the pic it's still got 501's on it. I have to say, I think that for a case that ultimately used a modern dial, the value there is questionable. You did awesome with the movement and especially the bezel/insert, if you ever feel like getting rid of it or letting me know where you got it, please give me a heads up via PM.

For me, I wouldn't be willing to spend that much money on an aftermarket case, with the possible exception of a DW or 1655.

Justasgood, can I ask where you were able to score a genuine bracelet for so cheap? I noticed in the pic it's still got 501's on it. I have to say, I think that for a case that ultimately used a modern dial, the value there is questionable. You did awesome with the movement and especially the bezel/insert, if you ever feel like getting rid of it or letting me know where you got it, please give me a heads up via PM.

For me, I wouldn't be willing to spend that much money on an aftermarket case, with the possible exception of a DW or 1655.

The 501B endlinks are on my 1680 now. The 5513 has a Gen 93150 with 580's......old pic, sorry. The 501B's came from my Gen 14060M........watch head sold, Bracelet sold without endlinks at buyer's request.

Now as for where I got the bracelet so cheap......lots-O-patience and searching ;)