When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Nice 1680 Insert

Martyd3

Cool!

I have a vintage gen insert in mine and it absolutely makes the watch.

Sending it off to the spa for a relume of dial/hands, crown guard work and gen bracelet with 580's installed. I will post scans after. The only thing missing will then be a gen movement which I am not in a hurry to do, quite honestly. ;)

It wasn't cheap, but the font looks good to me and the acrylic pearl fits perfectly.

Did you install an acrylic pearl or is that the one that came with the PMWF insert? I think it looks pretty darn good myself. As far as the font and thickness, as I recall, over the years Rolex themselves varied it on the vintage inserts- no one was paying that close attention at the time.

Did you install an acrylic pearl or is that the one that came with the PMWF insert? I think it looks pretty darn good myself. As far as the font and thickness, as I recall, over the years Rolex themselves varied it on the vintage inserts- no one was paying that close attention at the time.

I installed the pearl. It is from Otto Frei. I agree that the font and thickness varied on vintage inserts, but the MBW insert has too thick of a font. This insert, with the pearl installed, is much closer in look and quality to a gen insert. That is of course IMHO :)

While I can understand why this would be a good option considering the rarity of the genuine inserts, these aftermarkets are pretty costly. I'd love to be able to handle one. I've yet to see an aftermarket one that can get the appearance in the light of the gen. There's a dimension to the blackness of the genuine that can make it look as though it's painted, but the material itself is actually different as well. This is evidenced by the effects of bleaching both, and the time differential it takes to get the fading effect for each.

Genuine inserts are the quintessential vintage rolex part. They embody the ironic qualities that are characteristic of all the genuine part upgrades.

They're one of the absolute hardest parts to find. They're way overpriced by any standard definition of reasonable value, to the point of absurdity. They're hard to disguish between the rep and gen for most people visually. Problem is, they're absolutely necessary because they're the only coloured part of the watch. As a result, they're completely worth it.

I thought the MBW accept gen parts? I would think a 60 buck aftermarket insert would be made the same size as the gen.........so .....why did you need to grind down the bezel to make it fit?

I thought the MBW accept gen parts? I would think a 60 buck aftermarket insert would be made the same size as the gen.........so .....why did you need to grind down the bezel to make it fit?

Correct me if I am wrong, but genuine inserts (or 1:1 copies) fit, but they sit too high in the bezel. The insert should be slightly recessed in the bezel. Grind was a bad choice of words. All I did was take a little material off of the bottom part of the bezel when the insert sits. Think of an L shape. I took a little bit off of the top of the lower half of the L, so the insert sits better (or lower) in the insert.