When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Horotech vs. Bergeon vs. French screwdrivers

stilty

Well, I'm so impressed with the Horotec screwdriver set I received the other day, I figured I would post a mini review for those considering purchasing a set of screwdrivers.

First and foremost: The blades.

Examination of the horotec blades show they are very well made and finished. I played around with them on an old movement to get the feel for them. I am very

impressed with how they fit the screwheads! Overjoyed actually. Wow, what a difference.

They are also very durable. They worked with tight screws with no problem. No cracking, no slipping. Unlike the Bergeon which damaged very easily.

I would rate the inexpensive French blades higher than the Bergeon.

The inexpensive French I have been using for a few years. They hold up very well.

I only have the one Bergeon, and used it a few times. The tip as already damaged.

Horotec, I only used a few times, but I can already tell the difference in quality

Here is a picture for comparison.

Inexpensive French - Bergeon - Horotec

30583723jm3.jpg

The ends.

Horotec wins hands down! The ball bearing ends turn smoothly with no effort. They fit my hand very well.

Next up, Inexpensive French. They turn smoothly as well, but overall they are too short for me.

Finally, Bergeon. The end is stiff and does not turn very well. Very poor design.

If the inexpensive French were longer, I would most likely keep using them. (Actually, now that I've tried the Horotec, there is no going back!!!)

23557403nf0.jpg

See, they inexpensive French are short.

88103824zo7.jpg

And if we just want to talk about looks...

Horotech wins without a doubt. If I can say this without sounding like a freak, "Those Horotec are damn sexy!"

Even the Inexpensive French screwdrivers beat out Bergeron. Those anodized ends put the bergeon to shame.

69965950xo9.jpg

And just a side note. I really wanted the rotating stand, but I kinda like to look of the box on my bench. They are also easier to store and put away for the part timer.

yes, sorry, my post is biased. I guess I shouldn't judge the bergeon so harsh, since I only have one screwdriver and not a whole set. But one thing is for certain, the blade quality of the Bergeon driver is very poor. If you already have a Bergeon set, or can find a set a a great price, by all means grab a set. Just use Horotec blades.

Thanks for the great review Stilty. After reading Ziggy's comments & recommendation of the Horotec, I decided to do a bit of poking around myself. I compared my current set of Bergeon drivers to a 40 year old set that I got from an old watchmaker & the differences (not favorable) are pretty dramatic, especially when comparing the quality of the tips. The 40 year old Bergeon drivers & tips seem to be made of sturdier stuff than the current tools. I have also noticed that I have been replacing tips with greater frequency than ever before. So my next set of tips will be Horotecs. And for anyone needing to purchase a new set of drivers, I have to agree with Stilty (and Ziggy) that the Horotecs seem to be the best way to go (if you can afford the premium price).

• 6 months later...