When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone know how long gold plating in the rep world lasts?

Coeuss

Ok I'm looking at buying another rep and the description says it's 18K Thick YG Plating.. 5 mils. How long will this lasts with average use ie normal wear. Anyone have any idea? And if it wears out where can I get an 18K case?

Yes, my mother has had her Gucci reps retouched with more than 5 mils IIRC. Her local jeweller did it for her. The YG Gucci twirl, and Rolex Sub TT lasted about 3 months. She wore hers daily, and she's not careful. I have YG reps which are mint, because I am.

Never ever Cape Cod cloth them, obviously. Not to you Coeuss, but for some newbie reading.

The rep manufacturers have gotten pretty good at the gold plating...in the old days, meaning as recently as 8 or 10 years ago, the gold plating tended to wear off pretty fast. I have several Rolex TTs from River and Josh that I've had for at least two or three years that have shown no wear whatsoever!

So I am pleased. Also, the previos comment was so true...don't use any caustic cleaners or abrasive polish on the gold plating.

Beany

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm going to buy this one Patek I'm looking at from Josh. I have an Omega Seamaster 522 mvment with gold case that's rolled and after 20 years the plating is coming off (I haven't had it for 20 years mind you). 3 years for a rep sounds really good. By the time 3 years is up maybe they will have invented something else. You never know in this hobby. Thanks again

Well an important thing to consider is the believability factor.

Most high-end timepieces (Patek Philippe like you want for example) are made with solid gold, meaning they are heavy - heavier in fact than any imitation regardless of the materials used (unless the rep has solid gold but then it will be very expensive). So even if your watch is 1:1 and you hand to somebody who knows even remotely about jewelry or watches, they will know something is wrong because true solid gold watches feel very very heavy... and the gold even tends to radiate in some lighting, which plate, will never ever do.

However I have had good experience with the 5mil plate. But if you are getting a Rolex with a TT band for instance, be sure to get the 14K 15mil plate. It's a little more expensive but makes the difference.

good luck and of course welcome to rwg

Most high-end timepieces (Patek Philippe like you want for example) are made with solid gold, meaning they are heavy - heavier in fact than any imitation

Yeah, when I was watching the Patek Video "A Mon Fil" I almost fell out of my seat when I saw that watch case being made completely out of gold. I'll keep the 14K 15 mil plate in mind for the future. Thanks

Well an important thing to consider is the believability factor.

Most high-end timepieces (Patek Philippe like you want for example) are made with solid gold, meaning they are heavy - heavier in fact than any imitation regardless of the materials used (unless the rep has solid gold but then it will be very expensive). So even if your watch is 1:1 and you hand to somebody who knows even remotely about jewelry or watches, they will know something is wrong because true solid gold watches feel very very heavy... and the gold even tends to radiate in some lighting, which plate, will never ever do.

However I have had good experience with the 5mil plate. But if you are getting a Rolex with a TT band for instance, be sure to get the 14K 15mil plate. It's a little more expensive but makes the difference.

good luck and of course welcome to rwg

You and I both. I laughed when he walked out of there with the watch for 13K. Get out of here. Corgi I noticed you have an AP Equation of Time . How do you like it?

Oh yes I love the A Mon Fils film from Patek Philippe. I would love to own a genuine one day...

I have several gold plated reps which I wear occasionally.

None have ever worn through.

I have one "rose gold" rep which tarnishes up a bit and that just means it's got a lot of copper in it.

My great grandfather's rose gold pocket watch has never tarnished.

If you buy a gold rep from a collector here, it will probably give better service than you expect.

Carl

Just bought this one from Josh. Can't wait till it gets here. Then you guys can tell me how to set the dials. Thanks to all . Best regards and happy Easter.

http://www.pc-80108.com/pp10016-perpetual-...hite-p-638.html

This is a nice homage to Patek Philippe, but it does have some inconsistencies with the genuine model which I won't mention since I do not want to spoil your watch for you. I personally have been looking for an accurate complicated PP rep since I joined here but I have been consistently disappointed by the selection offered.

Yeah I knew this wasn't even close to ref 3940 or the new version (or were you thinking of another version?) but I still liked the style of it . I was intially going to get the PP10015 (gold plated) but I figured that if the plating was going to wear off in the future I could just replace it with a stainless steel case at low cost so I went for the PP10016 which may be stainless steel. I've seen this same watch on ioffer for $60 bucks and it is advertised as stainless steel. But as usual I decided to go with someone I've dealt with and I trust and who knows how to do business. Josh has been great in terms of service and answering emails right away and sending packages right out after your order.

hi Corgi,

Wich dealer sells a 15ml 14k band?

i tought everything was 5mil?

Regards and happy easter...

Edwin

"white gold plate" how is that different from stainless in a rep? Even a gen in white gold is Rhodium, no?

The WG in gens are plated with a Palladium alloy whereas it is Rhodium plated on the reps.

Matter-of-factly, this is mainly hearsay; someone correct me if I'm wrong.