When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which Camera?

plant

You'd be able to get a pretty good SLR for ~$400, or an even better point & shoot. Like Narikka said, specify use. I've gone through my fair share of both size cameras.

I have a 4.2 mp mini mju which is ideal for holidays and nights out but I fancy something that can be used for still photography and special occassions. I was looking at the canon 350D but I really have no knowlege of cameras.

Superb camera. I'd kill for one. :)

Once you get a DSLR, lenses get expensive though. Like reps, you can't own just one.

A DSLR might be overkill if you are looking at special occasions and stills...or are just starting out. With the extra bulk compared with a small compact, you may find yourself missing opportunities that you wouldn't have if you had a small point and shoot.

The Canon A650 is a good one as a step up from the 350. Small...fast...flippable view screen for self portraits or group shots...image stabilized and a good range for the lens. I've seen it on sale for as little as CDN$350 at Costco.

Got any reps you want to trade one for? I have a collection of nice, newer cameras, too many as a matter of fact. I was collecting Panasonic cameras as I like the Leica Glass they use. :)

I'd recommend just finding a nice point and shoot with a good macro mode. The most important

thing is learning how to use the camera. A DSLR is overkill unless you want to do some crazy macro stuff, I know I have 2 DSLRs. Setting up the camera speed, white balance, and image stabilization(a tripod could reduce the importance of this) are the things you'll want to play with.

A few Point and Shoot examples.

watch003.jpg

watch002.jpg

Edited by owdeguy

Thats my Chronomat Vitesse, Bought it about 7 years ago... Its a gen btw.

If you really are set on getting a DSLR, a few things. Plan on really learning photography to get good pictures out of it and plan on buying some macro lenses with the camera cost. A kit lens won't do much to take a nice watch shot as the minimum focusing distance is usually about 1 foot, which mean no nice full frame watch shots. Most point and shoots with a macro mode will get you about 3" minimum focusing distance so full frame glamour shots are no problem. If you were most well versed in photography, you could do some "tricks" to save money buy converting lenses with reverse rings or extension tubes. With a "hacked macro lens" setup you could do this however. But I have to shoot in full manual so understanding ISO, aperture, shutter speed is necessary.

macro003.jpg

Edited by owdeguy

add some more cash and get a digital dslr.And you need a macro lens too. It produces best pic quality ever can be, and its the best investment because it hardly lose its value, all other digicams (sony cybershot, panasonic lumix etc..) are like toys, worth nothing and gets broken easly..

for example i got the best and one of the cheapest dslr for the money after a long research, nikon d40x, around 500euros only . Also nikon d series widely used in professional shooting such as model photographers, paparazzi etc....

hope this helps

ps:nikon d40x is also very easy to use :)

an image taken by me

dsc0121eg7.jpg

you dont need to buy a macro lens. just buy the canon 50mm 1.8f lens $90cdn. very good lens and most people eventually get one in their kit for portraits and such anyways..then buy "kenko extension tubes" $80 on ebay this gets you the same macro ability with out the $600 price and its just as good. google it. dont second guess your 400d purchase.

hmmm

get a canon 40D and a 24-70L lens. Once you get an L lens, you never go back :D actually once you invest in good lenses, they stay with you for life - unless you BREAK it :D

I picked up a 24-105 L f4 lens and it does a fantastic job. Was going to upgrade my 10D, but the new lens really makes wonders.

yaaay that's 3000 dollars!

But like mr. Pug said, u can make do with any point and shoot, it's the photographer that really counts. I've seen amazing macro work with just a small P&S nikon.

well... actually, my 2 cents: pickup any canon - the interface is more user friendly. I've been hearing more and more P&S cameras tho are eliminating full manual control :( can't control shutter speed/fStop :( :( :( my wife's new canon Elph has zero control over shutter speed/fstop :(

As for macro, here's one a shot with the L lens and a couple screwon close-up lenses on the front of it:

CRW_0083s.jpg

Edited by crick0234

you dont need to buy a macro lens. just buy the canon 50mm 1.8f lens $90cdn. very good lens and most people eventually get one in their kit for portraits and such anyways..then buy "kenko extension tubes" $80 on ebay this gets you the same macro ability with out the $600 price and its just as good. google it. dont second guess your 400d purchase.

yeah dont second guess the rebels or its higher brethren. what really counts is looking for the good lenses. Like the 50mm 1.8 is a kick ass lense for the price. The cheaper 200 dollar lenses are pieces of junk - low contrast, low sharpness, bad build quality - but i gotta say that 50mm 1.8 is an exception. It's better to invest in a good lense because that's what you'll keep for a long time.

Edited by crick0234

When not going for an SLR you might want to consider the compact has

macro

manual exposure(for lumeshots)

Aperturesetting

I use a Canon 1D MKIII with L lenses, 24-70L2.8.24-105L4,70-200L2.8IS but for my macroshots I use a $50 macrotubesset with a 50mm or 85mm because I couldn't afford a macrolens :)

Check this out: www.dpreview.com