When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

111H, buy modded or send it to mod?

boncovi

I finally decided to get a 111H.

checking old messages, I see that TWP sells modded Asian for 415 + ship.

Should I buy directly from him or can I save a few bucks by getting an unmodded and sending it to other modders?

if the latter, where do I get it cheapest and the most accurate, and which modder should I send it? I don't know how much they charge for lume, cannon pinion etc.

What mods would you do to a 111H Asian?

I would go modded rather than having it done later. If it's all done you don't have to worry about having it done, who'll do it, or will the parts fit. I see alot of will X's crystal fit Z's case posts, I would save the trouble. But then again ...... what do I know? :mellow:

truthfully..

if you're a first-time buyer..

i don't think you can find a better deal than Angus' "ultimate 111h"

if you're lookin to buy a "base pam" and then have it modded.. i think it costs more $$$

but the end-quality may be better

HOWEVER, you jus said you're a 1st time buyer..

and you just cannot beat the value of the "ultimate 111h"

but in all honesty..

I have a swiss base 111h (literally base, it even has a recessed canon pin!)

I might sell soon but like I said..

knowing what I know now.. I'd go for Angus' offering.. cheapest price + "modlike quality"

A premodded watch would be the most economical choice...as all operations are done "in house", but I still have my bias towards buying the "base" , then having it modded later.

You'll see that the services of one modder can easily prevail over another, and there is no one man who can just produce it perfectly for you.

My opinion? Spend the extra $$$ for the "later in time" custom mod job. You'll be very pleased with the results.

yea and teh base pams (well, back then at least) were very cheap :D

like if I let my Swiss PAM 111h base go, it'll be for liek $175 cheap

the cost comes in with the modding :) but like peeps said.. it may eventually be teh "best" quality-wise.. having base's modded

Should I buy directly from him or can I save a few bucks by getting an unmodded and sending it to other modders?

What mods would you do to a 111H Asian?

TWP is temporarily away on leave.... Also due to his personal circumstances his latest work (some will say all of his work) was not really impressive.

If you prefer quality over accuracy Davidsen could be an option, altough he seems to be out of stock on movements with swanneck.

If you prefer accuracy DON'T buy any H-series 111. All the mods in the world cannot improve the various flaws in the dial and the wrong CG (different shape than pre H-series CG).

A more accurate option is the 'ultimate' 111E from Angus (currently out of stock). This is a pretty good rep out of the box. You will only need additional reluming by The Zigmeister.

ugh...have u considered a 111 sausage dial instead...i will never get over the font issues of our rep sandwich dials...

but if ur going to go for a H-series...angus's 111h will hold you over...

how much is it nowadays? $238 shipped? with swan neck/dagger regulator/no pin issue/nice CG w. flat lever pin

i don't see much sense in TWP's $415 version...its not like your font is getting any better...plus he's had some issues delivering...

Hey Thank you guys for your quick replies,

As you said, I better go with premodded one.

I just checked Angus Ultimate 111H with superlume. but there's no price info, so I asked him.

And I'm a newbie to the dial names. sandwich and sausage, what are these?

the double layer with "hole" numbers is the sandwich, and over-the dial ones are sausage I guess?

Edited by boncovi

And I'm a newbie to the dial names. sandwich and sausage, what are these?

the double layer with "hole" numbers is the sandwich, and over-the dial ones are sausage I guess?

The double layer with "hole" numbers is called a sandwich dial. The 111 has this dial starting from the H-series.

The older series (like the 111E) have a sausage dial which basically is a sandwich dial that has been filled up.

Only the contemporary Luminors (and the Historic Logo models) have the lume over the dial.

The double layer with "hole" numbers is called a sandwich dial. The 111 has this dial starting from the H-series.

The older series (like the 111E) have a sausage dial which basically is a sandwich dial that has been filled up.

Only the contemporary Luminors (and the Historic Logo models) have the lume over the dial.

Thank you very much for clarifying scoobs,

Actually I want 111H especially for the sandwich dial, and have further questions about that.

In some pictures, the second (lumed) layer is very deep and it looks like a huge groove, whereas in other pics, the 2 layers of the dial are very close to each other, I can't even recognize if it's a sandwich or sausage dial.

is this done on purpose? I mean, If I tell Angus that I want my dial deeper than the standard, is it possible?

I don't remember which member's watch this was, but the dial seems just like I want it to be, lumed layer seems a little bit deeper, doesn't it?

a4n0whmv6.jpg

I don't remember which member's watch this was, but the dial seems just like I want it to be, lumed layer seems a little bit deeper, doesn't it?

a4n0whmv6.jpg

Due to the strong lighting and angle a bit difficult to see, but this looks to me like a gen.. :)

As far as I know all the standard rep sandwich dials are the same. Only Davidsen has/had some that are less deep.

Here's a pic of the 'ultimate' E from Angus. It has a 'filled' sandwich dial, which is correct for the E-series.

post-4081-1206393350_thumb.jpg

Due to the strong lighting and angle a bit difficult to see, but this looks to me like a gen.. :)

As far as I know all the standard rep sandwich dials are the same. Only Davidsen has/had some that are less deep.

Here's a pic of the 'ultimate' E from Angus. It has a 'filled' sandwich dial, which is correct for the E-series.

Well I got it from a wristcheck topic. Actually, instead the filled one, I want a deeper one, so I have no options but get Angus's ultimate 111H.

Still waiting for price info from Angus.

Well I got it from a wristcheck topic. Actually, instead the filled one, I want a deeper one, so I have no options but get Angus's ultimate 111H. Still waiting for price info from Angus.

Some of us also have gens ;)

On Angus's site the ultimate 111H is $228,- excl. shipping, but it's out of stock.

Good luck!

Angus 111e + Chief AR + Vaclume/The Zigmeisterlume + 001b baseback = ultimate pam.

At least one of the most accurate and stunning 111's i've seen. Will run about $600+ all up with servicing.

001B wouldn't have AR. ;)

There have been some issues with Angus' more recent "Ultimate" 111E/001Bs. vaccum has a thread about it on RWI. The case is designed to use a very thin dial (just like the 036 rep that had the same thick crown). However, the more recent versions have a thicker dial and this caused clearance/tolerance issues with the winding gear and the back of the dial.

I've got a sausage dial 111 on the way from Silix that should make a really nice 001B. I have an Angus 001B with vaclume and a DSN crystal with no AR.

Most models come with the longer cannon pin already installed...

As for lume, it's a personal issue, some like it, some don't. Why not get the best out of the box 111 out there, and wear it a while and see if you really like it, and then consider some upgrades. You may find the lume and cannon pin to your liking out of the box.

Unfortunatly I can't help with who has the best model, but those who have already responded, can...

RG