When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help Needed With Bond Sub!

UncleJay

Ok, got a Ref5500 ($910 was that bad?) Found all the other parts from NDTrading. The 5508 case, crystal, dial, hands and tube total $1240. The total is $2150, not bad I think. I was told that the Brevet 8mm crown ($400) would not fit the 5508 6mm case, is this correct? What type of crystal is used? Any help would be appreciated.

Nice score Jay! The 5508 case takes a standard 7mm sub crown and tube. It would have originally been fitted with a 7mm twinlock crown and tube, but the current version will fit just fine. The 5508 case takes a tropic 16 crystal. Look forward to seeing some pics when your finished putting this together. Good luck.

Actually the 5508 takes the 6mm crown and tube- originally 24-600-0 and a 24-6010-0 tube maybe. IT has the dash under the Rolex crown logo. You can go with the modern replacement- 24-602-0 and case tube 24-6020-0 if you can't find the old crown and tube.

The crystal is about impossible to find- T-16, and can easily run $250-300. My watchmaker put a AF 300 crystal on my 5508.

I went the same NDtrading route and put a 1520 from an Air King in mine. Hands came from Clarks- used the gold hands for the 1500 series Rolex movement- then you have to paint them to match the dial- still working on that. Hope to be done in a week or so!

UncleJay, helfands on ebay may have a crystal you can use until you can find the perfect Gen... they run around $10, and are very nice for what they are... they ship kind of slow, but the shipping is free...

I have a 6mm Twin-lock crown and tube you may be able to use, just IM me with your address and I'll send them to you.

Guest carlsbadrolex
UncleJay, helfands on ebay may have a crystal you can use until you can find the perfect Gen... they run around $10, and are very nice for what they are... they ship kind of slow, but the shipping is free...

I have a 6mm Twin-lock crown and tube you may be able to use, just IM me with your address and I'll send them to you.

Where else do fine people make such offers????

UncleJay,

The tube and crown went in the mail today, you should have them on Monday. The little gasket is missing on the case side of the tube... but any watchmaker will probably have one, they are kind of generic, I think it is supposed to be 3.3mm... this set is a bit later than the 600/6010... the tube is partially screwed onto the crown to keep them together, and they are in a little plastic processor box in the express envelope.

If they don't work for your 5508, they will probably work for your other new project, if you want to go Rolex franken instead Tudor franken...

There is another tube and a crown for sale on auction on the ebay that are going off a little after noon on Monday, if you want to get on them, they haven't gone through the roof yet... 320231809546 for the Tube... and 320231809546 for the Crown from the same seller...

Anyway, I hope you can get some use out of them...