When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What I've learned in my time here

wraithride

So I've been a registered member here for...i dunno, a bit I guess. I don't contribute too much, as I think I still have a lot to learn. I still find myself using the search function quite a bit, so that just go to show that I have a long way to go.

At this point, I have 7 reps that I've purchased, from 2 different dealers after discovering this site. As it seems the norm, I barely escaped being scammed out of my hard earned money, and have found much comfort in dealing with the trustworthy dealers on this site. Watch number 7 just came in today, about 24 minutes ago to be exact, and it's now sitting on my wrist. At the risk of having this post transferred to the "Other Brands" forum, it's a Hublot Big Bang Stainless, with textured PVD bezel :)

It took me a long time to decide on which dealer to pick for this purchase, as the Hublot has a lot of concern surrounding it. Materials, movement, price, dependability of the dealers, and so on. In trying to decide, I've done my daily reading on the forum absorbing people's opinions and thoughts on all variations of topics, and there is almost always the obligatory comment about certain dealers in one form or another. Now the web being what it is, it takes all kinds, and you certainly get "all kinds" on this board. All manners of personality, opinion, FORCEFUL opinion, good, bad, and everything in between. So in this post, I will offer my first piece of advice to the newbies, the experienced, or anyone else willing to listen. That advice is; No dealer on here has a perfect record. Every single person that buys from one of the trusted dealers on this site, will have their own experience. There is always that person who will post about how one dealer doesn't QC their products, or isn't trustworthy, or shouldn't be used. Just as there will be a contradictory post about how they are the cheapest, most reliable dealer ever.

The fact is that you cannot rely on every other person's experience when they purchased a replica watch from a dealer. I will say that both dealers that I have used, provided me with amazing service and products. I've had no customs issues, nothing has arrived damaged and so on. But that does not mean that when you buy your watch from that same dealer, you'll have the same great experience. The fact is that we are buying an illegal replica watch that is made in china, being shipped (to some of us) overseas, through customs. My suggestion is to set your expectations accordingly, and deal with issues as they arise. those who set their expectations too high, are more likely to be disappointed.

Anyway, I guess that sums up my thought. use your head, take advice with a grain of salt (including this one), and just be realistic. If things don't work out, a cool head always works out better to find a reasonable solution.

Just my $.02 US

WR

Edited by wraithride

Good observations young Jedi :D

Every dealer brings something different to the table. What is important to you may not be a factor for someone else, so it is impossible to simply recommend a dealer to a new member. You've learned a valuable (probably the most valuable) lesson my friend.

Yes a lot of good info in your post, thanks for taking the time to set your thoughts down.

As Andrew states this is the main reason why we ask newbies to do their own research as what one may see as exceptional another may not find up to scratch.

Ken

As Andrew states this is the main reason why we ask newbies to do their own research as what one may see as exceptional another may not find up to scratch.

Good point Ken. It seems so often that people don't really understand the value in doing their own research, as newbs often think there really is one best "X"...whether that's watch, dealer, shipping method, lubricant or whatever.

The point you raised is something that should be in bold on the new user signup, FAQ or wherever it is appropriate and that is:

In the rep watch world where vendors are literally a slow boat to China away and manufacturing the reps is illegal, there is no "best anything". The different vendors and vendor products do bring different things to the table whether that's promptness with communication, speed of delivery, price, follow-up support, special request support, website, location, special services...WHATEVER. What is of greatest importance to one person for the same desired gen watch (like the ubiquitous black Submariner) may not be the same for the next person - AR strength, crown guard shape, lume, movement, gen part compatibility, etc. There are so many variables to consider and the weight of importance these variables have will change as the user does more research and reading.

Newbs need to do the research so they can fine tune their expectations and not have them too unrealistic, otherwise the false assumption that a rep watch will in fact be 100% like the gen at 10% or less of the price will of course be impossible to meet...and they will be too bitter to enjoy what this forum is all about...a hobby and entertainment...not saving lives, not stopping war...but a hobby.