When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

147 And 104 -- And My 1st Self-customized Strap

sssurfer

Here are some quick shots, mainly wristshots, of my two new babies from Josh.

The 147:

72861-32167.jpg

72861-32168.jpg

And the 104 -- w/ Lello's crown and self-customized Don's strap.

Notice: this watch has a 7mm cyclops!

(And, besides of the watch, please have a look at the strap too):

72861-32169.jpg

72861-32170.jpg

72861-32171.jpg

This watch came with quite a good black leather strap on its own, but I just had my 1st trying at strap customizing and this made for a too good occasion to resist.

I think the result is not bad at all, but what do you think of it you strap experts? Do you like the light-green stitching matching the dial markers?

72861-32172.gif

I also managed to fit a double deployant clasp (Homer's courtesy) on it -- a 4mm thick strap. To anyone interested, what made the trick is leaving the buckle's small tubes out (else you'll get in troubles when closing the clasp):

72861-32173.jpg

7mm cyclops! Why are we not seeing a date photo then??

Did you brush finish the case on the 104 as it should be all polished?

Nice strap!

About date: even that 7mm cyclops does not make for any significant improvement in magnification, it rather seems just a cosmetic improvement (quite a pleasant one, though).

Also the datewheel font is the usual shitty one -- nothing to compare with the 050 datewheel -- so that overall date redability is as bad as usual.

But another finding I may add: the crystal is internally milled to get a place to the cyclops!!!

I just wonder why they took the trouble to do all those improvements, still they did not add a better lens and a better datewheel!

About the case: it came as you see it: brushed. Exactly the day before I had finished brushing a case for this watch, and it came brushed already! :wallbash:

Yes, I know that the 104 is supposed to have a polished case... but that strap was absolutely demanding a brushed case... and I got my 2nd pleasant surprise by getting it exactly as I needed it! :)

If only had I not brushed the other case too! :wallbash: :wallbash:

@all: thanks for your kind appreciation!

Strap was made by bleaching a chocolato strap, then colouring the stitching with a green magic marker, then bleaching again the stitching only. I suppose that colouring the stitching before bleaching all at once would perform similarly.

I only see one post, is something wrong here ? No pictures at all? :blink:

It showed all the posts after I posted... nice watches... interesting stitching on the strap :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I only see one post, is something wrong here ? No pictures at all? :blink:

Ouch Ronnie, it is because I made a link to my last post, not to the first one.

Try to come here again from the Panerai section.

:sorry:

Edit:

I see you found a solution :D

Thanks for your appreciation!

• 4 weeks later...
Strap was made by bleaching a chocolato strap, then colouring the stitching with a green magic marker, then bleaching again the stitching only. I suppose that colouring the stitching before bleaching all at once would perform similarly.

Ciao, sono ancora per poco tempo qui... se vai nei negozi specializzati come DIMARCOLOR, puoi comprare dei piccoli barattolini di vernice per stoffe (seta, cotone ecc.) da utilizzarsi con il pennello... si faccio anche queste cose... (non avendo uno specifico talento li provo tutti)... scelto il colore che più ti piace per creare il contrasto (nessuno ha mai pensato questo quindi oltre alle cuciture ad x c'è anche quest'altra mia idea) se sul quadrante del panerai nero spiccano indici e lancette oro perchè sul cinturino nero non può spiccare un filo "oro" ? tra i colori trovi l'oro (ma se vuoi esagerare però spendi di più puoi comprare i filati della DMC in oro questi costano perchè contengono vere tracce di oro... ma ora che mi immaggino il cinturino mi pare proprio alla Mahler... scusa mi ero esaltato). Se tingi i fili con questi colori e dopo asciutti ci passi il ferro da stiro sopra, il colore non stingerà più e potrai usarli per cucire. L'unica precauzione è che il filo avrà una resistenza alla lavorazione diversa una volta colorato.

ps. non sono molto concentrato con l'inglese quindi evito di scrivere un "ideogramma"... se ritieni possa essere interessante e qualcuno lo chiede puoi tradurlo con parole semplici per evitarmi figuracce ?

Thanks for the advice, Mahler!

I more recently found some magic markers (Promarker by Letraset) that seem well suited for the need. They come in tons of nuances - even a bright yelllow declared as 'gold'.

Surely your solution is better - even if a little less easy - and I'll come to it if the outcome by the markers should not result to my appointment.

(Now making a bookmark on this post).

ps. non sono molto concentrato con l'inglese quindi evito di scrivere un "ideogramma"... se ritieni possa essere interessante e qualcuno lo chiede puoi tradurlo con parole semplici per evitarmi figuracce ?

Mmmm... don't think so. :bleh: