When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBW 1680 Red

lanikai

Not sure if it will be the best, but I appreciate the compliment. After Ziggy does his stuff on the dial (which is already a winner in my book), I think this watch will definitely raise the bar again.

And I agree with you about the NDtrading and similar dials. The quality of these aftermarket dials (none of these are repainted, they are all newly made from scratch) is evident when you compare them to the MBW dials. But, on the other hand, we often lose sight of the fact that the MBW dials will easily fool the average Rolex owner as well as 99% of the public (and that is not an exaggeration). We are MUCH more critical than anyone we might typically run into in a bar or restaurant. Even most of the sales clerks in ADs would never be able to tell an MBW dial from an NDtrading, even if they knew what to look for (this is not a recommendation to try to fool your local AD, because store managers & watchmakers usually CAN tell the difference).

@DuDro, hit the crystal with some Brasso on a soft cloth for a few min. Those scratches on the crystal will disappear.

AND, nice crown guards.

Whaooooo ... don't mean to jump in but if this ia a pexi crystal your talking about .. brasso will do the same as sand paper... you will do major damage to the pexi .. brasso has heavy abbrasives in it.. plus chemicals... if it's saphire crystals .. true metal polishes will take out the scratches.. but not pexi :o

As time has gone on, I've become less concerned with absolute fidelity to the original, and am more sensitive to the quality of appearance, even if somewhat flawed.

I fully agree with you.

It's how the watch is globaly that makes it vintage or not: aged dial, light scratches here and there, second hand or used crystal...

All these parameters must be there for me otherwise I feel like wearing a modern watch.

And I agree with you about the NDtrading and similar dials. The quality of these aftermarket dials (none of these are repainted, they are all newly made from scratch) is evident when you compare them to the MBW dials. But, on the other hand, we often lose sight of the fact that the MBW dials will easily fool the average Rolex owner as well as 99% of the public (and that is not an exaggeration). We are MUCH more critical than anyone we might typically run into in a bar or restaurant.

Yep, sure.

I have only one NDTrading (5513), and was a bit disappointed though. It's currently being redone.

Would you really recommend NDT for 1665s? I mean their price is so high that it would put my trilogy at an insane value.

Would you really recommend NDT for 1665s? I mean their price is so high that it would put my trilogy at an insane value.

Yes & no. It all depends on which flaws (every aftermarket dial has a different set of flaws) offend you the least. If you are interested, I have a new (unused) NDtrading DRSD dial for sale & I can save you some money. PM me if you are interested.

@DuDro, hit the crystal with some Brasso on a soft cloth for a few min. Those scratches on the crystal will disappear.

AND, nice crown guards.

Whaooooo ... don't mean to jump in but if this ia a pexi crystal your talking about .. brasso will do the same as sand paper... you will do major damage to the pexi .. brasso has heavy abbrasives in it.. plus chemicals... if it's saphire crystals .. true metal polishes will take out the scratches.. but not pexi :o

Na, go check it out on TZ or vintagerolexforum if you want. Works just fine. Besides, acrylic watch crystals are listed on the back of the container under other uses. Poly watch is good, but for less money I got a lifetime supply of Brasso.

Na, go check it out on TZ or vintagerolexforum if you want. Works just fine. Besides, acrylic watch crystals are listed on the back of the container under other uses. Poly watch is good, but for less money I got a lifetime supply of Brasso.

whaoo.. go figure... man i never would have guessed that something as abbrasive as brasso could be used on pexiglass.. thanks SL... you first though :lol:

It's all good my friend. Like I said, I have a lifetime supply. lol :D

I would not want you to mess up that lovely 1680.

Cheers!

I'm actually going to try it on a pipe stand I have made of pexi..like toomuchgears vintage pieces .. they look really great the way he has them "looking' vintage.. but sh*it i jus cannot bring myself to put even a feather scratch on this piece.. i must say though it looks too "new' for a vintage piece.. :lol: