When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Long do they Last?

Bizzon

I am very interested in an expensive replica. $400+ If I spend this amount of money on this watch I want it to last. How long do these asian movements last (Asia 7750 Valjoux Working Chronograph movement)? Is it worth the Money? Will they be good enough wear daily? What is your experience with this movement?

Use the Search feature to locate the scores of threads discussing the Asian 7750 chronographs -- both standard form & the modified secs at 6 versions. If you upgrade your membership to Supporter, then you will be able to access Ziggy's area which contains the last word, technically speaking, on them.

The standard Asian 7750 is a pretty reliable movement after it has been properly serviced (they rarely come from the rep factory properly serviced), but, because of their complex nature & their relatively higher cost of repairs, I would consider something else to use for your daily beater.

I havent had the best of luck with Asian 7750s but I know that after they are properly serviced they are almost as good as the real thing (eta 7750)

If i buy an A7750 chrono watch i almost expect to have to get it serviced well within a year. If you are looking for long term and reliable then go for a non-chrono ETA movement like in a Rolex Submariner or a Breitling SFSO

dizz

They certainly can last a lifetime but it very much depends on the watch. The more modern 7750 movements are designed every bit as well as the ETA. But as everyone says you will probably want to get it serviced. And it is not just because of the movement. When you have the servicing done the watchsmith is defacto improving all the seals with the various watch oils, ensuring that the crown and pushers are properly attached, the crystal is seated properly, etc. If you like a watch enough that you want it to be your daily beater than it is well worth it.

If you really want a hard working, everyday watch I would be slightly wary of picking a chrono. Sure I've got chronos, and no doubt I will end up with more, both Swiss and Asian 7750s. So far the Asians have been fine but as I have 20+ (maybe 30+) watches none of them gets used every day. I have had a couple of Asians swapped to Swiss movements and more to swap later.

I consider that, out-of-the-box, the Ingy and the Breitling Steelfish are possibly the best 2 reps in terms of quality and robustness with proper Swiss movements. These are watches that you can wear anywhere without fear of being 'called out' and you can reasonably expect them to last a lifetime of regular use - proper, no-nonsense, understated but classy watches. Get one of these with the ETA movement and if it is serviced properly it will outlive you.

In my two short years in this hobby, the only Asian 7750 I have had trouble with is the one modified for seconds at six (do a search). I take it you are a scuba diver. I don't wear a watch period when I dive and I don't swim with my reps. Although I have tested a few (such as subs) and they have been fine. I would definiately check out if a model with chronos is water 'proof'. When I am in the water, I wear my Seiko black monster. The manual wind movement used in models such as the vintage Daytona's is as The Zigmeister once put it, a 'watch maker nightmare' because it is so bullet proof. To service or not to service is also a big question. You are going to spend close to your qouted number for a better rep to begin with and then drop a few hundred more to service it depending on the movement. Some of the asian movements are readily available and are not expensive so many chose to run them until they die and then replace, and perhaps service them, at that time. Remember, you are talking about a fake of a watch that probably costs $10,000 or more. There are some legit reasons why the gens cost more. So I guess what I am saying is, don't expect a $400 copy to be of the same quality as the $10,000 watch it replicates..... although, they can be pretty darn good!

For the record, I know people with gens who have gotten $500+ services direct from the factory and still had reliability problems. So spending several grand for a gen is not an absolute cast in stone guarantee that you will never encounter problems. With reps at least the pain of having a watch fail is eased by the fact that you didn't spend a mint for the watch.

I have had a few of my favorite reps preemptively serviced (both Asian 7750s), and others that I will simply toss or keep for parts if or when they break down. And for the record, in 3.5 years of collecting, only one really cheap (under $100) rep has died on me.