When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Obama, Clinton, McCain: International Poll

bubu

U. S. Presidential Race  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Candidates

• Obama
    • Clinton
    • McCain

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder which candidate will adhere closest to the Constitution? And which will appoint Supreme Court justices who most neutrally interpret what the Constitution actually says?

That's the one who gets my vote. In the long run, what else matters? It's already all spelled out... we just got to DO what the document SAYS.

I wonder which candidate will adhere closest to the Constitution? And which will appoint Supreme Court justices who most neutrally interpret what the Constitution actually says?

That's the one who gets my vote. In the long run, what else matters? It's already all spelled out... we just got to DO what the document SAYS.

I like the way you think ;)

Why isn't there a fourth "Who gives a crap" option here? You know for us "insular cynical arrogant Europeans" ;) (I can hear the hackles rising already over the Pond :D).

Honestly, black or white, one or two X chromosomes, unfortunate friends or husbands with 'form', they are all politicians the world over when it comes down to it.

Interested only in the absolutes of power and money.

Parasites surrounded by sycophants.

Who'll f*** you over in a multitude of differing ways.

Just depends on your poison, and how you choose to take it?

On your knees or bent over double?

Ghonorrhea or chlamydia?

Strangulation or asphyxiation?

And with that, I'm off to my 'weekend' log cabin in the remote Scottish Highlands to continue to write my manifesto :p

It is hardly all spelled out. The U.S. Constitution lays out broad principles and is the shortest such document of any modern democracy. One might argue that is for a reason.

This is the old debate between literalists and activists. No matter what your opinion, there are strong arguments that the Constitution is deliberately vague and was intended to be a "living" document that would be reinterpreted by subsequent generations of Justices according to contemporary realities. Whether this was in fact the intent of the signers is somewhat besides the point now. The fact is that the Constitution is, as it must be, interpreted by actors whose reading of the document are necessarily colored by the age they live in. No one today can read and understand the Constitution the way it was originally written because no one today has lived in the 18th Century Colonies or fought a war of independence from British rule. And even if you could magically travel back in time and present to the original drafters some of the modern dilemmas offered up for resolution under Constitutional law, they would hardly agree on the answers among themselves.

The die is cast and it is a little late now to try to mind read the "original intent" of people who have been dead for two hundred years. Whatever that intent was, the REALITY of what the Constitution has become has served and continues to serve us quite well. The decisions of the Supreme Court, no matter what its composition, will never satisfy everyone. For me, it is sufficient that the system works - new Justices are appointed and the most recent ones reflect precisely the view you expound above. And thus, the entire system remains ultimately accountable to the people.

Why isn't there a fourth "Who gives a crap" option here? You know for us "insular cynical arrogant Europeans"...

Honestly, black or white, one or two X chromosomes, unfortunate friends or husbands with 'form', they are all politicians the world over when it comes down to it.

Interested only in the absolutes of power and money.

If I had to generalize I would call Europeans realists, not cynics. Some politicians are corrupt to be sure. But clearly not all.

If I had to generalize I would call Europeans realists, not cynics.

I'm glad you feel that way since I was using a hint of sarcasm. Ah but there is something healthy in a cynical realism.

I just hate politics and politicians without exception. The Bush's, Blair's, Brown's, Berlusconi's and Sarkozoy's of this world......the largest collective display of corrupt buffoonery since the ENRON-sponsored Laurel & Hardy Impersonators Conference took place in the Jack Daniels Brewery.

Read an interesting article in the FT or Times a month or so ago.....about Europe's female-majority cabinets. Spain, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands. The 'real' Big 5 in my opinion. Enlightened and ahead of their time. Let the women run the show I say. Can't do a worse job.

I'm glad you feel that way since I was using a hint of sarcasm. Ah but there is something healthy in a cynical realism.

I just hate politics and politicians without exception. The Bush's, Blair's, Brown's, Berlusconi's and Sarkozoy's of this world......the largest collective display of corrupt buffoonery since the ENRON-sponsored Laurel & Hardy Impersonators Conference took place in the Jack Daniels Brewery.

Yeah, but look at your examples!

There are still people around who cherish public service as a noble calling and continue to behave with seriousness and integrity long after others have used the "if you can't beat them join them rationale" to sell their souls. I won't name examples because that will just invite debate about particular individuals, but I am sure we can all think of politicians we wished were more representative of their field as a whole.

And I knew you were only semi-serious.

McSame said he would stay in iraq for the next 100 years and thats a scary thought considering it costs us $10,000 a second and thousands of lives lost. Not to mention it's causing major depressive disorder in Americans, causing thousands of US soldier suicides each year (and thousands more cases of PTSD and major depressive disorder and psychotic breaks), and has caused more than 600,000 innocent civilian casualties and hundreds of thousands more displacements and injuries for Iraqi civilians.

I don't think that there have been "thousands of US soldier suicides each year". I believe that the number - though no less tragic - is less than 125 soldiers this last year (which, in terms of previous years, is quite a huge number). If thousands of US soldiers were killing themselves each year, the news to that effect would have certainly been very much known by now. Even if it was exactly 1,000 soldier suicides each year since the invasion of Iraq, that would mean over 4,000 soldier suicides to date (more than the KIA rate). So, certainly, your figure there is wrong. I am an active duty soldier and would be very much privy to this information as soldier suicides is a topic that is touched on - by regulation - every year by all commands (it is a requirement to discuss it).

Obama hasn't said a thing profound IMO. The Clinton years were the best in this country since I have been alive and I would love for those days to be back. It is scary to me that the American people are naive enough to buy into Obama's preacher like ramblings. I guess the attraction is that he is unlike anyone that has been in office before and the people want a complete 180 degree turn from Bush. I also think that his Christianity has a lot to do with it which is also dissapointing because religion has no place in politics.

Flame me if you will, but noone seems to realize the fact that Obama is a radical racist. He claims that for the 30 some odd years he went to church with his preacher he never heard him talk about "the white man". Come on. He changed his name from Barry to Barak. The guy preaches how race should be left out of the election but that is all you hear from Oprah touting DR MLK's dream. This guy will run this country further into the ground than it already is. Hillary is a politician's politician. She knows how to play the game and she knows how to get things done. Plus Bill will be right with her.

Obama may get the nominee but there is no way he will be the next president. Reality is that John Mccain will be in office soon enough. Thank god for the electoral college. I forget which president it was but it was once said that the American people aren't smart enough to know who is best for the presidency. I concur.............

i second that. brains of most american people are too much relaxed to think what is best for them, that is..

OK,so I am not going to get sucked into another political debate here.. I am already posting on too many political/ news forums for that .. I just do not have the stomach for another one.

I do want to correct one thing however. Barak Obama did not change his name from Barry, his formal name was always Barak, Barry was a nickname he picked up during his youth, presumably to better assimilate into mainstream culture. Actually, his nickname in high schools was "Barry O'Bomber" and was a reflection of his basketball capabilities and his jump shot in particular (Rick Barry being a famed US basketball player known for his jump shot). Once he entered collage, he went back to his using his formal name.

Those of you who are not familiar with his story might want to learn more about him. Here is an interesting article from Newsweek that provides some background http://www.newsweek.com/id/128633. His first book, Dreams Of My Father is also an excellent reference. Some interesting facts:

= Obama was raised under very modest financial circumstances. His's estranged father was Kenyan. His Mother was a white american from kansas. He is half caucasian and half black african.

= Obama lived in Hawaii until the age of 6 and than moved with his mom to jakarta where he spent much of his youth. While in Jakarta he lived under very modest financial circumstances. Yet he still managed to thrive both academically and socially. His story is an inspiration ... not quite rags to riches but pretty close. He has a very compelling story to tell about succeeding in the face of economic hardship and identity struggle.

= He returned Hawaii in high school where he lived with his grandmother. As you can see he was raised by his white mother and white grandmother. the race of his mom/grandmom matters not at all to me i would support him if he were purple. but I make a point of noting his mixed heritage and upbringing and to counter those who feel he is somehow racist or militant. I hear that a lot. The fact is his diverse ethnicity and life experiences make him the perfect candidate for our times. He is a perfect mosaic. His father was Kenyan, his Mom part Hawaiian, the grandmother who raised him thru high school was white midwestern from kansas.

= Not that it should matter (it shouldn't) but Obama is not a muslim. He is christian. It embarrasses me to point this out for several reasons as I truly do not think a person should be disqualified for public office in this country because he is muslim. sadly, not everyone i meet shares that view.

= unlike his opponents, obama does not accept poltical donations from PAC's and Industry lobby groups. He has raised about $250MM thru a largely internet based grass roots campaign. This means large political donors will not have undue access to his administration.

there is a lot more i want to say here, especially to the one or two non-americans who feel they possess an almost monopolistic right to opine on us politics and geopolitical policy while offering nothing but mundane throw-away lines. For the record, these are three very qualified candidates anyone all of whom have the potential to be great world leaders for different reasons. Even McCain, who I absolutely do NOT support has my respect and admiration.

it is one thing to offer constructive criticism, but it is quite another to refer to a whole nation of citizens as 'stupid'.

The last point is especially important to me ... moen

For all of you guys that voted for Obama, I hope you all know he is in favor of raising taxes. He was interviewed and the interviewer told him that past presidents were in favor and cut rates i.e.(Kennedy, Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush) and your in favor of raising taxes, actually, you voted down the decrease of Capital Gains Tax...What is your response? He mumbled and stumbled, and quite honestly, I choose to keep my hard earned dollars.

The man has no history or stature as a Senator!

I voted for McCain. Not my ideal candidate as president either. Where's Colin Powell!

^

obama wants to raise taxes on the upper 5% of wage earners and provide tax credits to the middle and working class. In other words he wants to roll back the Bush tax cuts and go back to the Clinton tax code which was more progressive and placed a higher tax burdern on the uber rich.. We didn't do so badly under that code. Just because Karl Rove says it, doesn't mean it is true.

McCain, as much as I respect him, scares me. He is very hawkish, not just in Iraq but globally, and I think he sees a very active role for the American military during his administration. He has no economic policy to speak of, no healthcare policy, and has reversed himself on a number of the initiatives that constituted his 2000 presidential run that left people thinking he was independent minded. I have no doubt we will be fighting someone somewhere under McCain. He is also 72 years old.

I am also very concerned about who gets appointed to the Supreme Court under the next president. It is likely that as many as 4 vacancies will open up.