When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Patek Super rep

blade007

Couple quick questions:

1. I noticed the MBK Nautilus has the 'grid' pattern and not dots. Is this innacurate to the gen or are there gen versions with the 'grid' pattern around the edge of the dial.

2. Where can I get a rubber strap for my Aquanaut?

Grid pattern is wrong for this model. However this is only a problem on the Blue Dial. The Black Dial has dots.

Josh has been able to get me replacement straps for an AP.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After re-reading this thread, I feel I must contribute another post.

I purchased my Black dialed (unconnected dots) MBK Nautilus last July.

Immediately it became my favorite watch. Everything about it was appealing to me.

Case size, bracelet, thickness, fit and finish...you name it.

I liked the watch so much that I ordered a replacement dial, because I felt the 12 oclock

markers on the piece I received were just a little bit ascue, and I wanted the 'perfect' dial. I was lucky and received the replacement dial and sent it off to The Zigmeister for a service of the motor, and the dial swap.

I recently received the watch back from Mr. Z., and now... as far as I am concerned, I own the perfect rep.

Now don't get me wrong...it is NOT the perfect rep. The date font is incorrect, the original TW

MBK dial says 'Swiss Made' instead of the correct...'Swiss', but other than that IMO the Nautilus is the finest rep I have owned.

Unfortunately the newer CN version is even more incorrect. And...the fit and finish for the case/crown/dial/bracelet of the CN model is NOT as good as the original TW MBK Nautilus.

The watch wasn't inexpensive. I paid 450.00 for the original MBK, and paid an additional 145.00 for the service. But for 600.00 this watch is as good as it gets in the rep world.

I will own and wear this watch for the rest of my days. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, they say...and with the MBK Nautilus...I be holdin' a beauty, that is for sure.

The ETA 2892 will fit in these easily the MBW watches are far to expensive and if they are using hybrid movements really over the top. I don't think apart from a vintage Rolex I have ever seen anything from MBW that could be considered good value for money certainly these PP are too expensive and the AP with the seconds in wrong place is certainly too expensive

Please take note that there is new version of that Aquanaut, much closer to the gen. Pamfried on RWI has them on sale:

aquanaut.jpg

Open caseback is a dead giveaway but the watch looks very close to the gen article.

Holy crap.

I am SO buying that.

Contacting Narikaa now..

Please take note that there is new version of that Aquanaut, much closer to the gen. Pamfried on RWI has them on sale:

aquanaut.jpg

DSCN3008.jpg

DSCN3015.jpg

Open caseback is a dead giveaway but the watch looks very close to the gen article.

What makes this one better than the previous MBW? ^_^

Check out the strap and the dial ;) As well as deployant buckle.

Anyway, this version is correct to the gen (Large version), there is a bigger version called Extra Large version with lume marker at 3 o clock. Nonetheless, it's really a very very good watch IMHO.

Tak,

Isn't that new MBW 5167 Aquanaut the wrong size? The gen 5167 is 40mm. Pamfried says the rep is 38mm. Either way, $550 is utterly outrageous for a rep with a rubber strap!

BTW, as far as I can tell, the original MBW Aquanaut is a near flawless rep. Remember, it's a rep of the old 5065 version of the Aquanuat, not the current version. The dial, strap and deployant are all correct for the 5065!

Note that the Chinese have copied the old MBW Aquanaut (King show it on her site), as well as the Nautilus. Might be a cheaper alternative for anyone out there looking for the classic Aquanaut. Since it has a rubber strap, no worries about bracelet screw quality. Let's hope the Chinese get around to repping this new MBW. Gotta love these "reps of reps"!

Isn't that new MBW 5167 Aquanaut the wrong size? The gen 5167 is 40mm. Pamfried says the rep is 38mm. Either way, $550 is utterly outrageous for a rep with a rubber strap!

The size is correct because this is a rep of the 38mm 5165. A much less desirable watch than the big brother jumbo version.

Yes the price is utterly obscene. When I read it would cost $550 and then another $40 for shipping USD I almost puked up my breakfast... that is mental hospital level crazy. Sorry, I love Patek Philippe, but for that kind of money I can get something a lot better than a rubber strap 2824-2... a little more and a nice ETA 7750 based gen in fact.

That was my point. The new one Pamfried shows is the 5165A and the older MBW was the 5065A both 38MM. It is not an improvement over the older one but a newer model.

I got mine in a pcakage deal with a Nautilus so it came at a much better price than this but I can vouch for the quality of the rep.

If this one has a true ETA movement it is worth the price since this has been the ballpark for the Patek MBW's for a while now.

I like mine but I have to admit that the new strap and deployant are nice B)

That was my point. The new one Pamfried shows is the 5165A and the older MBW was the 5065A both 38MM. It is not an improvement over the older one but a newer model.

I know that but as a replica it is more accurate regardless. The old one had much more flaws... probably why it was such a poor seller and rarely seen here on the forums. If they made the price a little more approachable this one would be a hot seller like the Nautilus. That is FACT.

I know that but as a replica it is more accurate regardless. The old one had much more flaws... probably why it was such a poor seller and rarely seen here on the forums. If they made the price a little more approachable this one would be a hot seller like the Nautilus. That is FACT.

The old MBW Aquanaut did not have ANY "flaws" that I'm aware of. Exactly what flaws are you talking about?

My guess is that it was a poor seller because 1) 38mm is considered too small for a man's watch these days, and 2) they didn't rep the bracelet and no one wants a fancy watch on a cheap rubber strap.

If you consider those minor points serious "flaws," then they're actually FAR WORSE in the new version.

The new 5167 has no 3 o'clock hour markers at all!!! Take a look at a photo of a gen. There's supposed to be a lumed marker to the right of the date window and smaller hash marks above and below. They are missing entirely on the MBW 5167! The date font is still slightly wrong too.

And don't forget that according to the description, the new version is completely the wrong size (38mm vs. 40mm for the gen). Of course, dealers have been known to measure wrong...

I'll save $200+ and stick with the classic (and better looking overall) 5065, thank you very much.

Date font

3 o'clock markers above and below the date incorrect

both fixed in new version <_<

Edited by jj69

If you consider those minor points serious "flaws," then they're actually FAR WORSE in the new version.

The new 5167 has no 3 o'clock hour markers at all!!! Take a look at a photo of a gen. There's supposed to be a lumed marker to the right of the date window and smaller hash marks above and below. They are missing entirely on the MBW 5167! The date font is still slightly wrong too.

I'll save $200+ and stick with the classic (and better looking overall) 5065, thank you very much.

Go to www.patek.com and look at the 2008 Reference 5165.

The replica is 1:1

emot-bravo.gif

Go to www.patek.com and look at the 2008 Reference 5165.

The replica is 1:1

Is there an older 5165 w/ a solid caseback? Anal retentive (and spendthrift) MBK Aquanaut owners could maybe swap casebacks and crowns as long as the dial/hands would work.

Is there an older 5165 w/ a solid caseback? Anal retentive (and spendthrift) MBK Aquanaut owners could maybe swap casebacks and crowns as long as the dial/hands would work.

Yes there was, I believe the early models (1997-1999) had a closed caseback (see photo of ref. 5160 below). For 2008, PP has changed the sizing and layout of the watch meaning a genuine caseback from the early incarnation would not fit. That is, if you could get your hands on such a rare part. I also strongly doubt you could get your hands on the crown of a 2008 Patek Philippe aquanaut. Even as a genuine the watch is a poor seller - starting price is roughly $17,000 and it's stainless steel and rubber and fairly readily available. It's the ultimate "throw your money in the garbage" expenditure.

Also, I don't rightfully understand why so many of you are yelling "wrong date font" - I would say it's a tad too small, but I'm not going to judge until it spends 31 days on my wrist.

1999 Aquanaut

a7a5_3.JPG

6c14_3.JPG