When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Illicit: The Dark Trade

freddy333

@jkerouac: is it possible to upload it? Tnx m8

Sorry, I wish I could, but my DVR is not connected to my computer or the Internet. It's a cable company service.

As long as the question has come up, does someone know how to hook a Comcast/Motorola DVR up to a PC to download a recording from the former to the latter? I always assumed this wasn't possible, but I never had the urge or need to investigate.

well i dont agree with that. have you ever seen an ad for a ferrari or a lambo? its word of mouth. recall the first time you ever heard of ferrari, was it in some ad or some marketing campaign? probably not... come to think of it i never heard of panerai, hublot, and AP until i came here... and even then the LV might cost rolex $20 more to make so $520 total...hell of a profit margin :)

it's cool to disagree. but perhaps you have not heard of corporate sponsorships (which are truly marketing events) that runs up millions of dollars. for instance ,for over 28 years rolex has sponsored the Grand-Am endurance race at Daytona International Speedway.

i'm sure LV sponsors other sporting events. true it's word of mouth but it's more than meets the eye. for example every logo you see in the F1 races is paid for, be it on a helmet or even a cap. it's very expensive to make the brand known.

:rolleyes:

well i dont agree with that. have you ever seen an ad for a ferrari or a lambo? its word of mouth. recall the first time you ever heard of ferrari, was it in some ad or some marketing campaign? probably not... come to think of it i never heard of panerai, hublot, and AP until i came here... and even then the LV might cost rolex $20 more to make so $520 total...hell of a profit margin :)

The marketing on a Rolex or any other luxury good is a hell of a lot more than $20 per piece. It's more like $1000. That's what rolex does: instead of selling a $500 watch for $1000 they spend $1000 marketing the same $500 watch and sellit for the same % markup, which translates to 3x the profit.

In fact that's why reps exist. Rolex spends $300 on the watch, $1000 on marketing and sells for $4000. I get a similar watch, produced more cheaply in China, with no marketing budget other than, you know, however much it costs for Andrew to tell me it's got an Asian 1:1 perfect ultimate 7750 inside, for a fraction of the cost.

What you don't see are good reps of Lange, F.P Journe, etc. They actually do spend the money that rolex claims to spend on complex movements, top quality craftsmanship, etc. and at least with respect to counterfeiting, it pays off. Whenever your business model involves marking up your advertising budget instead of marking up the large cost of top quality materials and craftsmanship you run the risk that the chinese can produce something very very similar for a fraction of the cost.

yes marketing is a big deal, but rolex is already established and now theyre probably just coasting off their earlier success with premium markups because of supply and demand. unless of course theyre still paying for their marketing campaigns from the early 40s, 50s and sixties. honestly how many people here have actually watched a yacth race, daytona, or equestrian event sponsored by rolex and noticed that rolex sponsored it, than alone even watched one of those events. rolex has already made their brand a household recognized name. People know what they want and if you build it they will come, these things sell themselves. the LV is sold at a premium over the regular sub because of exclusivity, supply and demand, and it being a new edition to the rolex family. rolex pieces seem to only go up in price, but at some point would logically cap out in terms of material and engineering put into it, the rest has to be profit.

people shouldnt blame the fake trade for creating bad working conditions, just because you slap an unauthorized brand logo on something wont mean that those products still wont be created without the recognized logo (my alpha watches were more than likely created in the same factories). the change has to start in all sectors of the market and dont use something you want to stamp out(fakes) for personal/financial reasons as your unethical scapegoat boogeyman. authorized product factories exist in China for a reason... and it aint for dumplings.

Edited by highoeyazmuhudee

yes marketing is a big deal, but rolex is already established and now theyre probably just coasting off their earlier success with premium markups because of supply and demand. unless of course theyre still paying for their marketing campaigns from the early 40s, 50s and sixties. honestly how many people here have actually watched a yacth race, daytona, or equestrian event sponsored by rolex and noticed that rolex sponsored it, than alone even watched one of those events. rolex has already made their brand a household recognized name.

you're right in that premium markups are due to exclusivity which drove supply and demand.

However even though the brand name is established, the marketing hype needs to be kept up otherwise some other brand will overtake them.it's the competition with other brands that drive most marketing. those sponsored events are still ongoing year by year and it's costing them in terms of current marketing budgets.

the point is not how many people watch those races but the fact is that companies pay lots of $$$ to sponsor them.

but most people would have watched F1 races? and you would have noticed Tag heuers ads? perhaps ? perhaps not.

can anyone in marketing/sales/advertising put in some comments ? just curious. :huh:

Will one or two of the 40 guys who downloaded this please kindly turn your torrent program back on so the rest of us can snag this? Jeez.

haha, you beat me to it. I only managed to get 97% of it. Having watched it, I was expecting it to be a more of an insight into watch replica trade, which it wasnt. Interesting none the less. I will see if i can put it on an ftp server for you all.

The marketing on a Rolex or any other luxury good is a hell of a lot more than $20 per piece. It's more like $1000. That's what rolex does: instead of selling a $500 watch for $1000 they spend $1000 marketing the same $500 watch and sellit for the same % markup, which translates to 3x the profit.

In fact that's why reps exist. Rolex spends $300 on the watch, $1000 on marketing and sells for $4000. I get a similar watch, produced more cheaply in China, with no marketing budget other than, you know, however much it costs for Andrew to tell me it's got an Asian 1:1 perfect ultimate 7750 inside, for a fraction of the cost.

What you don't see are good reps of Lange, F.P Journe, etc. They actually do spend the money that rolex claims to spend on complex movements, top quality craftsmanship, etc. and at least with respect to counterfeiting, it pays off. Whenever your business model involves marking up your advertising budget instead of marking up the large cost of top quality materials and craftsmanship you run the risk that the chinese can produce something very very similar for a fraction of the cost.

Very well said, but i respect because they are very good at marketing, keeping their brand value and their design just never gets oldfashioned which makes them way cooler than all other brands imo, its simple luxury, its rolex B)