When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

putting in an asian 7750. Is it easy to change from one layout to another?

Tom

I've just bought an asian 7750 from Ajoesmith which has the seconds at 9. I was going to use it for a PO Chrono which I have in pieces, but the 7750 in my PAM212 has died (my fault) and I need to have it repaired/serviced

What is the process of transferring the 7750 with seconds at 9 into the PAM212 - there's obviously no date wheel or dial at 6. Is is just a case of snipping off the stem at 6 and removing the date wheel?

Perhaps it would be easier to save this mechanism for another day and get the PAM212 specific one repaired?

Is there anyone apart from The Zigmeister who can do this? I know he is taking some much needed time off for the next 3 months or so.

So many questions....

Edited by Tom

Tom the problem is that the 7750 that have different configurations i.e. instead of 6,9,12 all have longer subdial stems (not sure of the correct terminology) to accommodate the module for the transfer of gears from 12 oclock position to the 3 oclock position.

What this means is, if you try and put the module mentioned above onto a standard 6,9,12 7750 the subdial stems at 9 oclock and 6 oclock will be too short, and when the dial is placed on top of the movement the sub dial stems, dont 'stick out' far enough to attach the sub dial hands.

so unfortunately its a no go. you can over come it by replacing the sub dial stems fro the 3,6,9 movement to the 6,9,12 movement but its a big job and both movements need stripping.

The only other option is to source a 212 movement or 3,6,9 movement.

Hope this helps

PAM212 has 2 subdials. At 9 o clock position, it's running second subdial. At 3 o clock position, it's 30 minutes counter. It has no 12 hours counter like normal 3-6-9 or 6-9-12 layout. The real deal should have a Flyback function.

I would recommend searching an Asian 7750 with 3-6-9 layout and disabling subdial at 6 o clock position (12 hours counter) or finding movement for PAM212/a few PAM Ferrari chrono. Or if you want to go high end, get the flyback movement (a few unbranded watches on eBay with flyback function for about 1500-2000USD).

Edited by takashi

PAM212 has 2 subdials. At 9 o clock position, it's running second subdial. At 3 o clock position, it's 30 minutes counter. It has no 12 hours counter like normal 3-6-9 or 6-9-12 layout. The real deal should have a Flyback function.

I would recommend searching an Asian 7750 with 3-6-9 layout and disabling subdial at 6 o clock position (12 hours counter) or finding movement for PAM212/a few PAM Ferrari chrono. Or if you want to go high end, get the flyback movement (a few unbranded watches on eBay with flyback function for about 1500-2000USD).

Tnx Taka, learned a lot last weekend but this I didn't know

Ajoesmith - you are probably correct. That mechanism has been at my watchsmiths for months so I couldn't remember.

I think i'll go and get it and check that out.

It's a real quandry that I suppose most of us have at some point. Do you

a) buy another rep of the same version

B) try and have the mechanism fixed at a greater cost than a new rep

c) sell the case and all the bits, get a completely new rep and try and forget about the old one.

Decisions decisions....

Edited by Tom