When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Irish Whiskey Suggestions

stilty

So my buddy's birthday is tomorrow and I want to get him a bottle of whiskey. He's Irish, so I figured I get him some Irish Whiskey.

I'm not up on what is a good Irish Whiskey, and when we get together, it is usually wine or beer so I don't really know what he likes.

And the selection at my local store seems limited as well. I'm familiar with the usual suspects Bushmill and Jameson, but what about these?

These are contendors that aren't going to break the bank for me.

Red Breast - 12 year

Cooley - Connemara

Cooley - Greenore

Jameson - 12 year special reserve

Thanks guys. I'm still looking for a specialty store that may have a better selection. The government run store is limited in selection.

It's a toss up between Jameson 12 year and Red Breast. They also have a Jameson vintage at $299 a bottle, but that's a bit expensive.

why is Jack Daniels from England?

I've been trying to find an answer to that question for years and have never been able to; in fact, most people consider me a fool for even trying. :huh:

As for a decent Irish, BlackBush (premium Bushmills) or an aged Jameson. Can't go wrong with either.

Well, Kenberg beat me to it but...

My father used to drink this all the time and it came in a cool green and white jug. But, it seems the new jug is dark green. You obviously can get it in bottle form, but I always loved the jug.

TULLAMORE DEW!

One of Ireland's finest and most widely distributed whiskeys, Tullamore Dew was first distilled in 1829 in the small town of Tullamore in County Offaly in the heart of Ireland. The name derives from the initials of an early owner, Daniel E Williams - DEW.

crock.jpg

I've seen it around for years but have never tried it.

Since I've never seen it in normal bottles, I've always been a bit suspicious that the packaging is designed to make you ignore the quality of the product.

Since we've got several people here saying that it's really good, it's possible that I'm mistaken - especiallly since I've never actually had any. But the next time I get a chance, I will.

Maybe another way would be to do a Google search on Irish whiskey brand ratings: you tend to get a fairly objective idea of what's out there and how good it is pretty fast....