When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A couple of new Savage straps

peepshow

So, Savage clued me in to the fact that these hides were incoming a few months ago. He calls them his "SAV" straps, as the hides are quite similar in color and feel to the PAV leathers. I ordered a "natural" strap for me and a "burgundy" strap for my wife. I got them both with dead end stitching, which is not consistent with the PAV straps, but I like the dead end style better. :p I got them both with two thinner, floating keepers, but Savage said he would do two thin floating, one fat floating or even 1 fixed, 1 floating for a small extra charge. VERY cool! Notice the keepers also have a new embossing on the edges (you can still get them plain, though, if you want). The stitching on both straps is the same thread. I really like the look of it on the burgundy leather! Black thread on the burgundy would look good, too, but it wasn't the "look" my wife was going for.

DSCF1226.jpg

DSCF1230.jpg

DSCF1228.jpg

Notice the difference in the thicknesses in this last pic. My wife doesn't like her straps quite as thick, so Savage skivved down the leather for her strap to make it thinner! Fantastic work, Savage!

Now, this natural strap will eventually find it's way onto a PVD rep project watch that I'm currently working on. I started wearing it on the 002 so that I could jump-start the patina building. Here is a pic of the strap before I punched the hole with a PVD buckle from TC Straps mounted. I think it's gonna look sweet!

DSCF1210.jpg

Here are some more shots of the natural on my 002:

DSCF1216.jpg

DSCF1217.jpg

DSCF1223.jpg

I love both of these straps! Thanks again, Scot, for all the hard work and communication during the past couple of weeks!

There is also and orange-ish leather from this "series" that I didn't order... Yet. :evil:

Thanks for looking!

OK, after wearing this strap all weekend, I take back all the good things I had to say about these straps in my first post.

They are even BETTER than I had originally thought! My tan strap is starting to break in nicely. The strap keepers are good and snug (loose strap keepers that move around as you're wearing the watch are one of my pet peeves!). I was setting in my kitchen enjoying a lazy cup of Sunday morning coffee and inspecting this strap. I have to say the hand-burnished sides are a perfect match to this neo-vintage style strap. The new creased/embossed keepers add a touch of class, IMO. And the stitching! I can honestly say that the stitching on these straps is better, cleaner and more precise than the machine stitching on A LOT of straps that I've owned. I have no idea how he can do this with his hands, but I'm positive there is no way *I* could do it!

Wow. I'm absolutely blown away by Savage's recent stuff! I've got an antique tan strap on my 210 from Savage that I haven't taken off the watch since I got it 2 months ago. Great work, Savage!

Edited by peepshow

Really nice straps. Wear them well. The one hole thing is cool but a little weird. Did you make the hole or he? I would never have the nerve to take that measurement without the strap on my wrist as the hole placement will vary based on thickness of the strap. I really like the finished keeper - very professional touch.

I like the ultra-custom look a single hole gives. It makes it more "my" strap, IMO. Maybe I'm just weird. ;)

Yeah, I punch the hole myself after I get the straps. Savage's normal straps come pre-punched with more than one hole, he sends them un-punched at my request.

I use one similar to this one.

leatherHandles%20002-717977.jpg

Peepshow, I think your straps are awesome! They are certainly an option if you don't want to go the USD229 route on TC, even given that they now offer the PAVs with the GPF Mod-Dep buckles.

My personal favourite is the tan one, BTW. :)

Yep, that type of punch is what I meant by "pliers" style punch. How does it work for you?

Well, I bought a $20 one on Fleabay so mine is not the best to go on. I ruined a $$ Simona Anticata using it, so it's time to buy a more professional one.

Basically, I take a little ruler, and space out the hole I need. Check the millimetre width of the holes on the pliers, and go for the closest one which fits (slotting it before to see if I got it right).

You have to punch it CLEANLY in one decisive stroke, else it leaves a bit of leather hanging off which is unsightly.

Once you get a hang of it, taking these pliers to $300 straps is a breeze. Not for the faint of heart though. :p

If you're like me, and buy lots of straps from the forum strapmakers, you prefer getting the hole just right. I love single-hole straps.

Hehe. Cheezus. In honour of the Pope's pronunciation of Jesus, no doubt. That's how people from Chermany say it. ;)

LOL!

I was watching the TV and the pope was speaking (in English) and I kept forgetting that he is German, so I wasn't expecting his accent. Caught me off guard.