When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

seriously modded aBay/MBW...1675 GMT

XRT

Jetsons- You jogged my memory. The case is actually an old Paul GMT. The dial is a WM/MBW. The hands are Classicwatchparts.com.

Another component of this watch that was majorly modded was the bezel. This is the standard bezel from this case...but with major work done to it (profile ground down so it is much thinner and the teeth carved into it by hand...which is why they look imperfect on zoom magnification. Joe and I spent many days sending genuine 1675 photos back and forth to each other until we both knew what the pointed CGs and bezel teeth were supposed to look like before he started on the mods.)

BTW- this case does not fit the genuine dial (a lesson I learned the expensive way.) :huh:

A nice touch. The pointed CG 1675 did not always have the small GMT hand (most of the pictures I saw of it had the larger hand, actually...but I liked the look of this hand so much that it was worth the possible inaccuracy.)

Excellent job!!!! Well done, gotta loved that small arrow GMT hand B)

An old Paul 1675 case, that's something I haven't heard mentioned in a very long time. I believe it remains the best rep case ever produced for the 1675. That explains a few things.

Perhaps you remember the 1675 Saabin built many moons ago (@ the original RWG) using the same case. It was also a stunner!

Sorry to hear about the dial. The gen 1675 matte dials are starting to get very expensive.

You fooled me on the bezel. I thought you had somehow shoehorned a gen on the case. :)

I completely remember Saabin's GMT...he did some unbelieable work in that shop. Is he still a member?

Joe did an amazing job on this bezel (the key was to get the correct profile and teeth)...it still rotates too.

The best dial version was the WM/MBW. It was unfortunately shiny with awful dial markers (as in your pic). Joe dulled the shiny background and relumed the markers with a vintagized paint scheme.

I believe Saabin is a member. Last I saw him post here was selling a few old school Tropic 127s.

Other than this, I haven't heard much from him. He could certainly build some vintage beauties. His RR SD was also one nice piece of work.

Added: Joe did a fine job on your dial. I had to look at it twice. :)

Jetsons, I really want to see someone make a nice 6542...I bet you could do it ;)

Looks like you can get the old 1675 case from Silix: Link

As you can see, the bezel teeth are not very pronounced which is why they needed to be cut deeper.

rols1174rl6.jpg

On the 'face-on view' (below), you can see the bezel outer rim is too thick...this needed to be thinned out. As you remove much of the outer material to make the bezel thinner, you lose most of the depth of its' (already shallow) teeth...thus, they needed to be recut.

rols1174uc5.jpg

I was looking at that Silix watch recently. It looks good but I wonder about the lug holes that seem to be pushing the case edges a tad too far. It may be a bear to drill to 2.1mm?

A project that I have had in mind for some time is the 16700. The base watch would be the lug hole case the MBW 16710. I have the OEM dial, insert. crown/tube & more correct GMT hand but the date wheel remains an issue. The movement would be the 2893-2 which unfortunately, I don't believe the DW is interchangeable with one from the 2836-2. Nothing like having projects in the fire. :)

A nice touch. The pointed CG 1675 did not always have the small GMT hand (most of the pictures I saw of it had the larger hand, actually...but I liked the look of this hand so much that it was worth the possible inaccuracy.)

I have a genuine pointed CG GMT and it has the big arrow hand, but I always thought that the hands had been replaced at some point as part of a service from Rolex.

In your opinion, how did we do on our mods...since you are lucky enough to have the real deal?

I have a genuine pointed CG GMT and it has the big arrow hand, but I always thought that the hands had been replaced at some point as part of a service from Rolex.

Jetsons, I really want to see someone make a nice 6542...I bet you could do it ;)

XRT, I'm very jealous of your collection! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Saabin built a 6542 with the same Paul case. Great results!

I've been trying to build a 1675 with the Silix watch too. The case seems to be the correct thickness -or should I say thiness. The lug holes are okay drilled out, they are ever so slightly a bit to the outer edge. I'll try and snap some updated pix in the next few days. Here' an old pix before I worked on the lug holes and case, the bezel is next. The darn case won't take a gen dial though :angry:

DSCN4903.jpg

Taking the CG's down all the way until they are flush with the case is certainly one way to go for making a thin case 6542...I vaguely remember some pictures of that (NDT cases may be another option...albeit an expensive one)

The reason I used the WM/MBW dial is because my genuine 1675 dial would not fit.

XRT, I'm very jealous of your collection! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Saabin built a 6542 with the same Paul case. Great results!

I've been trying to build a 1675 with the Silix watch too. The case seems to be the correct thickness -or should I say thiness. The lug holes are okay drilled out, they are ever so slightly a bit to the outer edge. I'll try and snap some updated pix in the next few days. Here' an old pix before I worked on the lug holes and case, the bezel is next. The darn case won't take a gen dial though :angry:

DSCN4903.jpg

In your opinion, how did we do on our mods...since you are lucky enough to have the real deal?

IMO you all do excellent in your mods. I have just started modding and building myself and I am realizing how difficult some things can be to reproduce. Click the link below to see some quick shots of my GMT and its story.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=44796&hl=

XRT, your collection is first rate!!

• 3 weeks later...

That's a beauty.

If you ever want to get rid of it, ask me first.

(Now that my 16710 project/search is finished I obviously need a vintage). :D

I kinda forgot, so much for a few days....

Here's an updated pix with drilled out lug holes for 2mm spring bars.

DSCN5089.jpg

Here's a gen shot for comparison with the hole placement.

1d27_3.jpg

The case is pretty close and the lugs holes arnt bad either. But they sure went a little to thin on the bezel even though the crystal is probably about correct givin the difference in bezel height. I gunna have to build a nice GMT soon!

dizz

I kinda forgot, so much for a few days....

Here's an updated pix with drilled out lug holes for 2mm spring bars.

DSCN5089.jpg

Here's a gen shot for comparison with the hole placement.

1d27_3.jpg

The case is pretty close and the lugs holes arnt bad either. But they sure went a little to thin on the bezel even though the crystal is probably about correct givin the difference in bezel height. I gunna have to build a nice GMT soon!

dizz

dizz

Hi Dizz,

The case is close, where it's off are the sides are a little bulbous. The bezel is way off unfortunately and I'm going to tackle that next. I also had to sand down the height of the crystal quite a bit for a lower profile.

All in all its a nice budget project.