When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My New Gen. Seamaster Black

sidak

Well here's a nice story:

Since I became addicted to RWG my wife has been giving me funny looks (the kind that say "what a geek!")

I'd searched and searched and finally decided to buy a Seamaster Black from one of the dealers on the forum - Eurotimez had my vote based on his now famous QC and quick response time.

Then a couple of days ago my wife came home with a box...

When I opened it I found this:

DSC02097.jpg

After recovering my faculty of speech I thanked her a million times!!!

Yes she is the best wife out there!

So I took some pictures (first time shooting a watch so pardon the errors)

DSC02096.jpg

It's a gen. quartz version... here are my thoughts on it (won't dare to call it a review as I know I'm qualified to do that - but can provide my lucky noob version of what I see)

1. It feels great to wear - heavy but not too heavy. Gives a really nice solid and rugged feel. Feel like I could take it to hell and back and it would still be ticking... Which is why it hasn't left my wrist for the last 3 days. But only a small design problem I see is that the clasp collects scratches easily. I believe there's a fix by rubbing the clasp down with dishwashing sponge. Will try it and update later.

DSC02103.jpg

2. The crystal is slightly domed and AR coated on the inside. It looks really beautiful. The domed shape however causes no unsightly distortions of the dial, which is the classic wave pattern dial. I simply love the subtle feeling of the dial print - it can look black at a cursory review and when you look closely the waves reveal themselves to you like a secret the watch is carrying...

DSC02099.jpg

3. The bracelet is excellent - the best feel of any i've tried on at any ADs. never snags any arm hair, and the small polished links really add a touch of class. I'm wearing this to work and will certainly wear it proudly with a suit at any time as well...

DSC02105.jpg

4. The design on the caseback is really nice too - pity you can't look at it when you're wearing the watch. I'm personally having trouble these days looking at anything else. I'll be glad to tell anyone the time - anytime!

DSC02106.jpg

5. great lume, great sword hands. really there's nothing to not like about this.

DSC02107.jpg

Just thought I would share the story of my luck with the community that put me on the path to this in the first place.

But my appetite for reps remains undiminished.

Eurotimez will be seeing my order for one of his black subs soon!

Thanks for reading this - let me know what you think pls.

Cheers.

Nice one. I bought one of the 'old-school' reps, with the correct HE valve placement etc, and loved it so much that I bought the same gen. My rep got a lot of wear time (and it really is an excellent replica) but now the gen has taken over to the extent that the rep will be sold as soon as I can get myself organised.

Wear it well - I know how you love it and I don't think that it's possible to get the good rep anymore.

Guest porsche356a
Wow, you have quite a wife!

Great story, great watch. Not much to add, except "Enjoy!!!" (I'm sure you will). :)

+1 Congrats, and enjoy! that is a classic!

I have the gen of the same watch, but mine has the Bond bracelet. The only negative I've found with my watch is that the clasp on the bracelet (which is the same on the Bond or Speedmaster models) tends to scratch. I read a suggestion once that seems to work Get one of those two sided yellow/green sponges. Use the green side to rub on the clasp, rubbing in one direction only. It seems to do the trick.

Here is a link to one of those John Holbrook articles, this one compares the Omega SMP to the Rolex sub. I think you will find it interesting.

http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/smpvssub.html