When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Myth of perfectly sweeping seconds

mastergod

Tag Carrera 360? Whats the bph of that seiko?

The Tag uses a 36kvph movement. It has a normal back/forth escapement that vibrates 10 times a second. The Spring Drive doesn't have a back/forth escapement. It rotates constantly in one direction and is corrected 10 times a sec. Big difference.

Even genuine Rolexes tick 8 times a second. The only watch with a perfect smooth sweep is the Seiko Spring Drive.

Thanks! But many of us maximise lume to more than gen lume, apply AR on non-AR watches etcetera - It sure would be cool to have a super-perfectly smooth Rolex. Even if it would be the only one around...I

Edited by mastergod

If you want smooth try an Omega f300hg, Accutron 214, 218, and a host of others with the tuning fork movement. One of my favorite watches is my Omega Speedsonic. A tuning fork Chronograph with all hands sweeping not clicking. I see NOS Titus Dive watches from time to time at incredible bargains.

I just saw two sell on the Bay last week for under $800 in great running order. Probably one of the best buys on the market.

Jim

post-216-1209141895_thumb.jpg

i have had two seiko's with the 36,000bph movements and the sweep is amazing. particularly on a big divers watch with a long second hand :)

afaik 36,000bph (10 per second) is about the highest beat ever in a purely mechanical movement?

and pug is right. the springdrive is smoother. i had the chance to hold my seiko tuna can 600m pro diver next to a 600m springdrive diver and the springdrive was smoother. i just wish the dial was not quite so busy on the springdrive ;)

If you want smooth try an Omega f300hg, Accutron 214, 218, and a host of others with the tuning fork movement. One of my favorite watches is my Omega Speedsonic. A tuning fork Chronograph with all hands sweeping not clicking. I see NOS Titus Dive watches from time to time at incredible bargains.

I just saw two sell on the Bay last week for under $800 in great running order. Probably one of the best buys on the market.

Jim

post-216-1209141895_thumb.jpg

Found this on the bay...Accutron 2181 tuning fork. Will it fit into say a SD case? Hey, it's OK to laugh. RWG should be and is - fun...I think my dad had one of these. If I remember correctly, it makes a high-pitch sound that probably makes dogs ANXIOUS. LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/MINTY-ACCUTRON-BULOVA-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by mastergod

OK so here is a question. What is the cheapest way to get a 36,000bph watch? :p

you can occasionally find vintage king seiko's or lord marvels marked "hi beat" with the 36,000bph movement for under $400 or so. i just realized i don't have a pic of my white dial king seiko chronometer on my laptop or i would post it :)

grand seiko's or the 36,000bph professional divers will cost a lot more!

you can occasionally find vintage king seiko's or lord marvels marked "hi beat" with the 36,000bph movement for under $400 or so. i just realized i don't have a pic of my white dial king seiko chronometer on my laptop or i would post it :)

grand seiko's or the 36,000bph professional divers will cost a lot more!

Rated:*Informative*

Thanks for the tip ^_^

Rated:*Informative*

Thanks for the tip ^_^

in the late 1960's (i think 1969?) there was an "international observatory competition" to produce the most accurate mechanical wristwatch. seiko made a special high beat VFA grand seiko that evidently blew away all the european competition. it was just after that event that COSC decided they would no longer test any non swiss made watches for a chronometer rating :o

some of the most priced watches among seiko collectors are the grand seiko's made before that decision and labeled 'chronometer'.

makes you wonder if COSC is a standards organization OR just a fancy marketing tool :bleh:

in the late 1960's (i think 1969?) there was an "international observatory competition" to produce the most accurate mechanical wristwatch. seiko made a special high beat VFA grand seiko that evidently blew away all the european competition. it was just after that event that COSC decided they would no longer test any non swiss made watches for a chronometer rating :o

some of the most priced watches among seiko collectors are the grand seiko's made before that decision and labeled 'chronometer'.

makes you wonder if COSC is a standards organization OR just a fancy marketing tool :bleh:

Is there not an old saying, along the lines of....

"If you can't beat them, ignore them and hope they go away"

Or at least some thing like that anyway..... :p

Seriously though, that is marketing BS right there....

Found this on the bay...Accutron 2181 tuning fork. Will it fit into say a SD case? Hey, it's OK to laugh. RWG should be and is - fun...I think my dad had one of these. If I remember correctly, it makes a high-pitch sound that probably makes dogs ANXIOUS. LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/MINTY-ACCUTRON-BULOVA-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Did one about 10 years ago with a gen 5513 Sub. The guy was a retired Bulova rep and wanted to show off his "humming Rolex"

A 2182 3 o'clock stem position movement fit with some mods to the dial and hands, stem, etc. But all in all it wasn't as bad as fitting a VJ 72 to a DW case with all Rolex parts. I never touched a drill. The guy later had it changed back and sold the watch at a NAWCC mart with both movements. A Rolex collector bought it and had the 2182 movement put back in it.

It actually looked pretty cool to see the Rolex sweeping. Here's a cool sweeper:

post-216-1209163655_thumb.jpg