When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Would you rather own 10 reps or this Sony Bravia 40inch LCD HD TV?

DemonSlayer

The LCD's 120MHz frame rate will be great if you're playing your console or PC games, but it cannot add in frames from a DVD that aren't there.

I can't remember right now, PAL is around 24/25 frames per second, NTSC is around 29.97 (approx 30)... how do you add the extra frames from the source material ? Many games are designed so it can take advantage of higher frame rates.

Adding frames is like digital zoom (as opposed to optical) on your camera - it artifically does things, and the result isn't necessarily great.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow homer, you have a Kuro? I've got to get into your business then, because the business for you must be good!! :) but homer is very right on this. If someone is truly picky about TV, then Kuro really is your best bet. Better yet, Pioneer had just annouced the Kuro 1080p projector, priced at $13,000. Due next week. I am sure it will look as good as the plasma line as well. But B16 said it best....do you need a TV now? if you don't, then I'd get the watches...for example, I am still happy with my 1080i 50" rear projection TV, so I think about getting watches more, than getting a new TV. Although, my last purchase was from last year or maybe even the year before? so it's been a while.

I know this topic whent a 'little' off-topic :p and became a discussion on tv's :) Still I've learnt quite a bit from that so thanks for that input guys :)

What I would like to point out is that we know these ETA reps are most likely not brand new eta movements, they're most probably all sorts of parts fitted together to make the movement, so in other words they're very cheap. Yes I believe that these ETA reps we pay $200 or so for in reality will retail for $60 or even less in the Guangzhou markets. So they cost even less to manufacture, certainly 10 of them pale in comparison to the manufacturing costs of the TV in my original post.

I actually own that Sony Bravia :) I got it from John Lewis when they threw in the PS3 with it as well. I don't know anything about TV's really, but I learnt quite a bit from the posts. I thought it was a proper HD TV?

@Chronus: I wish she was my girl :lol: She's actually an adult film actress :p

Not to brag but I have 20 reps and around 20 vintage gens. All work like a charm so far. Knock on wood!

I have to say that I own a Sharp 46 inch aquos 1080p LCD and the blacks are VERY black...best I have ever seen in any set plasma or LCD. Picture quality overall is very good..sharp and clear. I cannot find a fault. For sound I have it hooked up to a BOSE 321 GS Type II. Not the greatest sound in the world BUT a very compact, neat sound system that produces very good sound quality.

My other set is a 42 inch Dell plasma which is also very good. However blacks if one looks closely tend to be on the green side. Picture quality overall is again very good. For sound I have a Denon 101 sound system (Denon's version of the 321 GS). Again a larger system would have better sound but it is very good, compact system.

I also am working on a new sound system for the Sharp aquos.....I have a pair of Infinity Beta tower speakers, a Infinity 4000 center speaker and a Mirage S10 subwoofer. I have this hooked up to a new sony 110 watt reciever. Hope to get the TV attached to this system soon! What do you guys think???

Not to brag but I have 20 reps and around 20 vintage gens. All work like a charm so far. Knock on wood!

I have to say that I own a Sharp 46 inch aquos 1080p LCD and the blacks are VERY black...best I have ever seen in any set plasma or LCD. Picture quality overall is very good..sharp and clear. I cannot find a fault. For sound I have it hooked up to a BOSE 321 GS Type II. Not the greatest sound in the world BUT a very compact, neat sound system that produces very good sound quality.

My other set is a 42 inch Dell plasma which is also very good. However blacks if one looks closely tend to be on the green side. Picture quality overall is again very good. For sound I have a Denon 101 sound system (Denon's version of the 321 GS). Again a larger system would have better sound but it is very good, compact system.

I also am working on a new sound system for the Sharp aquos.....I have a pair of Infinity Beta tower speakers, a Infinity 4000 center speaker and a Mirage S10 subwoofer. I have this hooked up to a new sony 110 watt reciever. Hope to get the TV attached to this system soon! What do you guys think???

I got the same Sharp 46' lcd, samsung 32' LCD(broken) and a LG 42' plasma, i personally find the plasma is best.Not from the best brand but still better.

No offend but,

BOSE? cmon pls...they should rename their slogan " better sales through marketing ", i returned my lifestyle and in-ear phones same day, somehow they sound much better in their "set-up" because its not real sound :(

Your new sound system looks ok. As speakers/towers i can recommend teac and b&w. If you want a normal dvd sound system harman/kardon are much better than bose both in sound and price. Hk, yamaha receivers are best for the price but yours is also very good. :)

Btw, back to topic.. " Would you rather own 10 reps or this Sony Bravia 40inch LCD HD TV? "

I would buy the tv at good price and with remaining money buy 1 good rep.

No offend but,

BOSE? cmon pls...they should rename their slogan " better sales through marketing ", i returned my lifestyle and in-ear phones same day, somehow they sound much better in their "set-up" because its not real sound :(

I have a friend that used to do marketing for BLOSE. He let me check out his training manuals. Ever wonder why BLOSE dealers ALWAYS have BLOSE displays separate from the competitors??? The don't want direct comparison of their systems. You are correct in that they are VERY specific in their demo displays. Matter of fact you have to either purchase the display or have your own "quality checked" and authorized by BLOSE to use it. VERY good marketing. I own Their QC2 headphones because I travel every week, but other than that you can find equal or better for less. Although I do think their Wave radio is nice.

Sound from the BOSE system is very good. Its not what you would get from a 7 speaker surround but on the other hand you dont have all that clutter. Bose uses six sigma to determine what customers WANT in a sound system. (of course realizing only a very small percentage want super high fidelity). From this analysis it was determined that the vast majority of potential customers want something easy to set up, no wires running everywhere and good crisp sound. I fully agree that its not comparable to the high end type systems in terms of sound quality but it provides me with great sound in a neat compact great looking package.

sorry, dont mean to offend

but please dont post nonsense about refresh rates. nothing you said makes any sense.

cinema refresh rate is 48hz.

why on earth do you need 120hz??????!

Kuro refresh rate is 72hz anyway.

Kuro plasma. best flat screen on market... look on any forum/magazine.

Cinema is 48Hz?

Film is 24fps (24Hz) progressive, NTSC is 30fps interlaced, PAL is 25fps interlaced. 1080i is 30fps interlaced, 1080p is 24fps progressive, 720p is 60fps progressive.

Cinema is 48Hz?

Film is 24fps (24Hz) progressive, NTSC is 30fps interlaced, PAL is 25fps interlaced. 1080i is 30fps interlaced, 1080p is 24fps progressive, 720p is 60fps progressive.

Frame rate (fps) does not mean the same thing as refresh rate (Hz). I think Homer was referring to the fact that projectors in cinema commonly have refresh rates of 48Hz, even though they run at 24fps.

Sound from the BOSE system is very good. Its not what you would get from a 7 speaker surround but on the other hand you dont have all that clutter. Bose uses six sigma to determine what customers WANT in a sound system. (of course realizing only a very small percentage want super high fidelity). From this analysis it was determined that the vast majority of potential customers want something easy to set up, no wires running everywhere and good crisp sound. I fully agree that its not comparable to the high end type systems in terms of sound quality but it provides me with great sound in a neat compact great looking package.

I am glad that not everybody is bought by their marketing hype. Especially their home sound systems... they cut out so many frequencies and bounce sound waves around to make it sound LOUD. Ever try getting your own CD played in a BOSE demonstration ? They have their own CDs to make it sound good so you buy buy buy.

I know the lead designer of a high-end audio company, he showed me where to get a less aesthetically pleasing, but far superior surround sound system at around a third of the price of the Bose one... they mark up as high as the Cartel dealers ! :lol:

I have a friend that used to do marketing for BLOSE. He let me check out his training manuals. Ever wonder why BLOSE dealers ALWAYS have BLOSE displays separate from the competitors??? The don't want direct comparison of their systems. You are correct in that they are VERY specific in their demo displays. Matter of fact you have to either purchase the display or have your own "quality checked" and authorized by BLOSE to use it. VERY good marketing. I own Their QC2 headphones because I travel every week, but other than that you can find equal or better for less. Although I do think their Wave radio is nice.

And they won't let you compare another sound system to theirs either. I think it's written into the contract for the dealer.

Also, they won't even get their sound system THX tested.... knowing it wouldn't pass. A lot of their pending patents are old designs from the 60s with a minor change in the circuitry to make it a new design.... still pending.... the budget goes on marketing rather than real pushing of the boundaries.

@Chronus: I wish she was my girl :lol: She's actually an adult film actress :p

What's her name? Does the front match the back?

And there was some potential at Ministry of Sound last night... Armin van Buuren was there too... and Judge Jules... Tall Paul....

Just got back from there not long ago, gotta get to bed, it's 10am.

wow homer, you have a Kuro? I've got to get into your business then, because the business for you must be good!! :) but homer is very right on this. If someone is truly picky about TV, then Kuro really is your best bet.

thanks

after going through around 10 sets, im finally really happy with this 1 :)

only thing annoying is "white judder" but that's common on all LCD/Plasma.

each frame is displayed twice on cinema screen.

48fps.

... which is silly. There is simply no good reason to do this, apart from to reduce flicker in ambient electrical light. 48Hz projection can cause motion perception issues, for instance, so you're better off with pure 24Hz and no lights.

Then again, people put up with 2:3 Pulldown. ;)

... which is silly. There is simply no good reason to do this, apart from to reduce flicker in ambient electrical light. 48Hz projection can cause motion perception issues, for instance, so you're better off with pure 24Hz and no lights.

Then again, people put up with 2:3 Pulldown. ;)

Pug...

24fps would look like a flick-book... our eyes need to seen min. 48fps for them to be tricked into seeing fluid motion.

Pug...

24fps would look like a flick-book... our eyes need to seen min. 48fps for them to be tricked into seeing fluid motion.

Yeah, but the moment you introduce ambient light, you need 72Hz/96Hz to reduce flicker.

We're stuck with 100-year old standards (well, not quite, we did away with 16fps/18fps a long time ago) and are now trying to adapt old standards to new technology.

What would be ideal would be for film to adapt to 50+fps, but that's not going to happen. :)

Amazing that the LG Viewty (mobile phone) records in DivX format at upto 120fps!

My Nokia N82 only does 30fps 640x480...

And now I really better go to sleep... wake up to see the Birmingham - Liverpool game.

What would be ideal would be for film to adapt to 50+fps, but that's not going to happen. :)

It wont happen...

The problem with that is movies would loose there "effect".

24fps make movies look "magical" vs. real...

it allows the brain to detach from reality... sorry could go on for hours about this :)

50fps would look more like Camcorder footage/ TV show.

Edited by Homer