When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help me build an older Chronomat.

sixbennetts

Got this sweet gen dial from Skydata a while ago. (Thanks again, Skydata!)

B312.jpg

Now I'd like to build a replica around it, so it looks like this:

1de6_3.jpg

28c7_3.jpg

31b0_3.jpg

I can find plenty of Evo's on the dealers sites, but no older Chronomat reps. Is there a non-branded watch case like this somewhere? Or maybe a similar homage watch I could canibalize?

Any suggestions?

your probably going to have to talk to the dealers who will do some custom searching for you at the watch markets.

I would ask silix, ttk and one of the newer ones like ruby.

I have never seen the chronomat offered for sale in my 3 yrs - otherwise i would have bought one! :)

Phoband, thanks for the reply! I have written Ruby, I'll send something to the others shortly. I'm pretty sure any case like this will work, as long as it's the smaller Chronomat case, not the newer Evo case.

Have you ever seen any 7750 reps of any of the Breitlings with this smaller case? I think the dial diameter is 30mm, the case is around 40mm-41mm. Wouldn't matter what dial was on it, I have my own, but it's just finding the case. There are/were a LOT of Brietlings with this size case.

That was a very nice Chronomat GT replica! I was not aware that the older Chronomtats have been available as good reps.

The only tell I can find at first glance is that the "B" on the seconds hand is a bit off, just as on the old Navitimer replicas.

I hope I can borrow the picture and add it to my BCE buyers guide?

ahhhh, MBW, that explains it, thats why i hadn't seen it. back then MBW was only for insiders :) - I would have been SOOOO all over that - at 450

i have not, but my fav model is the crosswind which has the same dial as the BCE :) my father has a gen chronomat,

it would be much easier for you to do the crosswind/ bce thing, although the bce case is a bit beefier than the crosswind, the dial fits quite nicely

in fact, i had my gen dial in my rep BCE and held it up to someone wearing a Gen with the same dial and he didn't notice the difference - it wasn't a hard examination just a quick shot to show someone we had "the same" watch on :)

All great info, guys. I appreciate it. You suppose there's any chance of finding one now? Either in a watchbox somewhere, or over there in China? I've written to most of the heavy-hitters. Now I'll write 'em all back, tell them it was a MBW.

I can find plenty of Chronomat reps of the right size case, but they're all quartz. What are my chances of squeezing a 7750 into a quartz case?

Thanks!

Not sure if the quartz reps use the same case as the automatics. Here's a few on ioffer that might be worth looking at. You might be able to get them for $60-80 shipped. Ask them for more pics. The Chronomat GT was a couple of mm bigger than the early Chronomat.

here,here, and here

I bought one of these cheapies a while ago for a similar project (different seller). Never got the dial. Now that 7750 clones can be had for a buck and change (ajoesmith is selling them), I might get around to it.

Dimensions: 38-39mm without crown

45mm lug to lug

~15-16mm thick

30mm dial

35mm caseback

20mm lugs

pushers are ~10mm apart from centre of crown to centre of pusher at 2:00 and 4:00

Here are some pics of the one I got:

post-7476-1209548056_thumb.jpgpost-7476-1209548231_thumb.jpgpost-7476-1209548246_thumb.jpg

post-7476-1209548263_thumb.jpgpost-7476-1209548278_thumb.jpg

p.s.

The measurements are in the post above. I don't have a micrometer or anything, so they are pretty rough, but it seems to be pretty much the same dimensions as the old Chronomat (listed at 39x14.5mm). The only part that concerns me is whether the case is thick enough for the rotor to wind freely (I don't know how they measure the thickness of the case) The paper it's sitting on in the pictures is to scale if that helps.

I got it on iOffer a long time ago, but the seller I got it from is no longer registered there. The thing about ioffer is that sometimes what you see is what you get, and other times they put up a pic of a good rep (or gen) and send you a $60 watch. In your case you're looking for a $60 watch so that shouldn't be an issue, as long as you get the one with the right caseback. The problem is most of the sellers only have one stock photo they use for each watch and dropship from a catalogue.

Hope that helps and good luck on your project!

let me say that in m1201539957984944036.jpgy experience - doing custom projects unless you are 100% sure they work, like a watchmaker says they do or someone else has already tried it is VERY difficult - they become very expensive very quickly unless you can swap out movements, which means changing hands ect ect.

Even stuff that is supposed to fit doesn't always - your almost guaranteed to be disappointed :) and spent a large amount of $$ getting there.

You could probably find a used one on timezone for 2grandish save you alot of headaches, if thats what your real goal is -

ultimate reality is you will end up spending more than that on reps over time anyway, so if you want that watch, just go get it

if not - i can HIGHLY recommend the steelfish - fantastic watch, and you can find gen rubber strap on ebay -

its pretty sweet, will cost you much less and bring instant satisfaction.

if its the dial style you like, get a crosswind dial and put it in the Evo, there are some crosswind styles similiar to yours.

in fact i'm about to have a 2 tone evo, blue number dial, with leather strap (and a not great condition bracelet) up for a good price

• 1 month later...

*UPDATE*

Stan (WBK) sent me some watches. Couple old quartz Chronomats and a CTI.

Stan7CTI.jpg

Stan4.jpg

Stan1.jpg

Here's a teazer pic. Dial fits the case perfectly. Seems to be enough room for a 7750 in there also, but I'll leave that to rex.

teazer.jpg

Bezel will have to be changed for either a gen or one of the other bezels above, but it's a start, right?