When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Seeking you opinions on this DigiCam please

Sir-Lancelot

I was thinking about what I can purchase with my motel points that I have built up and I am thinking about upgrading our POS Kodak with this one. I think it would be a huge upgrade, but would like to know if there are any opinions before I seal the deal.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

The details given are as follows...

Fuji FinePix SLR-Style Digital Camera

SLR-style camera that produces 7-megapixel images. An amazing 10x non-extending optical/5.7x digital zoom lets you get close to your subject and makes your photos dramatically more interesting. Set up your shots using either the electronic through-the-lens viewfinder or the 2.5"" LCD screen. Focus Assist lamp aids in low-light situations, and the Digital Movie mode is even equipped with sound. 4 2/5""W x 2 1/2""D x 3 3/10""H.

Fuji_FinePix.ItemInfoPar.Single.ItemImage.gif

I have one. Not a bad camera. Pictures are okay. Cheap camera for what it is. The lense barrel is threaded so you can use 46mm filters and lens kits with it. Battery life is awesome. Manual and automatic settings. Hard to beat at the sub $200 level. If you get it - DO NOT install the crappy software - it's slow as sh*t and terribly cumbersome. Use it as an external drive and pull the pics off manually.

Thanks for your input.

I know it's not great, but i have never been into pictures before I tried to take some of my watches.

The Kodak is pure crap.

Would this at least let me take a close up? Maybe down the road I will get something better, but it is free with my points so that's why I was asking. Thanks again.

I would have thought for close up macro shots, having that large zoom would not really be of any help? The 10x zoom would work out as roughly equivalent to 38-380mm.

A lens with a focal length equivalent of 28-84mm would be better suited for that type of close up photo, no?

Cheers! B)

The focal point on this camera is actually 6.3 - 63 mm, so yeah - it is pretty decent for macro shots. More than adequate for taking shots of watches.

Sure it would be adequate, no doubt about it. Also 6.3-63mm is the focal length equivalent to 38-380mm on a 35mm Camera ;)

Specs: (Based on Fuji S700)

* 7.1-Megapixel CCD image sensor for poster size prints

* 10x optical zoom (38-380mm equiv)

* Single or Continuous AF and Manual focus

* Focus assist illuminator for low-light

* Electronic color viewfinder w/230K pixels (approx. 97% frame coverage)

* 2.5″ LCD Color Monitor w/230K pixels (approx. 97% frame coverage)

* Movie Mode; 30fps @ 640

Sure it would be adequate, no doubt about it. Also 6.3-63mm is the focal length equivalent to 38-380mm on a 35mm Camera ;)

It really depends on how close you want to get to your subject matter B)

EDIT: Also in general use a wider angle lens may be better for most users. I sell these, and other cameras at work, and while they are decent enough, most people soon realise that getting a true SLR would have been a better bet...

I stand corrected - No way you can compare a true SLR with a camera that's now well under $200. I agree that a wide angle lens would be useful.

Here's a quick and dirty shot of my watch on auto. No lighting and pardon the fingerprints (like I said - quick and dirty shot, untouched)

Close enough for wristshots anyway.

I stand corrected - No way you can compare a true SLR with a camera that's now well under $200. I agree that a wide angle lens would be useful.

Here's a quick and dirty shot of my watch on auto. No lighting and pardon the fingerprints (like I said - quick and dirty shot, untouched)

Close enough for wristshots anyway.

Thats true, for $200 it is a good deal ^_^

Most people that come into the shop see a big lens as better, without really knowing why they do....

Large zooms will give a narrower focal length and obviously make the camera much larger. Then there are issues with lighting and the flash length etc... in lower/poorer lighting conditions...

When using macro shots, you don't usually use the zoom, you pull the lens right back. The large zoom is only used for bringing the subject matter closer from a distance. So in actual fact most times, buying a smaller camera which will be much more portable (so might find more use as a result), with maybe only a 3x zoom, will serve you really well. The fact that it will probably have a wider angle lens, will help in areas with a more general use (trying to fit everyone in the picture sitting in a restaurant etc...) It will still be great for macro shots too....

Now if you were going on safari, or wanted wildlife pictures where getting close the subject matter is not possible, then a big zoom is what you want! :) (and a steady hand/tripod)

Cheers! :D