When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sea-Dweller DeepSea

muffle

Rolex Sea-Dweller DEEPSEA

post-9355-1209561521_thumb.jpg

I've just seen the new Rolex Sea-Dweller, looks incredible.

Specs:

43mm

3900m

Titanium case back

Black dial with luminescent gold indices and hands

Ceramic bezel

Price? I dread to think, bring on the replica!

What does everyone think?

Honestly, the engraving on the rehaut absolutely ruins the watch for me. Which is a shame, because a bigger SD could have gotten me to pull the trigger on a gen...

Agree. I'm not a real Rolex-fan, but I like the shape and size of this one. Too bad the rehaut engravings spoil the fun......

Can I get one with out the writing on the rehault?

My kids already tease me about my "gas" escaping, I can only imagine what they would say about the writing on this one.

I love everything else about the watch except the writing and the pearl. The pearl looks like some of the bad ones we see on reps. Looks more like a pimple than a pearl.

Can I get one with out the writing on the rehault?

My kids already tease me about my "gas" escaping, I can only imagine what they would say about the writing on this one.

I love everything else about the watch except the writing and the pearl. The pearl looks like some of the bad ones we see on reps. Looks more like a pimple than a pearl.

Honestly, the engraving on the rehaut absolutely ruins the watch for me. Which is a shame, because a bigger SD could have gotten me to pull the trigger on a gen...

I have to agree, I think the extra text makes it somewhat messy. I like the ceramic bezel though, I've seen a GMT Master with the same and it looked superb.

Agree with everyone on the excess writing - it reminds me of those cheesy made-in-China boomboxes with SUPER BASS written all over them. What I always liked about the SD was its low-key dial. Now - not unlike Michael Jackson - it has gone a Facelift Too Far, and looks like a 20-dollar hooker.

Shame, too, as I love the idea of a ceramic bezel.

That is what happens when the marketing guys take over an organization -- the line separating aesthetics & advertising gets removed & the design, itself, becomes the advertisement. It is just a logical extension of the ROLEXROLEXROLEX branding around the rehaut or the network ID/advertising animations which have taken over the corners (for now) of our tv screens in recent years. I think Rolex's recent design trends will ultimately hurt them in the long run, but, hopefully, they will realize this before things get too out of hand.

Apparently, the DeepSea looks impressive in the flesh according to my local AD who saw it at Basel - but he would say that wouldn't he and he said all the pics he's seen of all the new Rolex don't do them justice. I ordered one but it wont be here until next year and my local AD refused to take my order for a Daytona coz he closed the book on that model a long time ago due to the worldwide shortage.

However, I eventually found an AD a few hundred miles away who agreed to take my Daytona order so I ordered a DeepSea from them as well and they reckon I could have it by the end of the year (coz I'm only number three on their list)...but the Daytona will take around 4-5 years+ - I'll be keeping the first DeepSea that arrives and probably just give the second arrival to my dad.

According to both AD's, the DeepSea wont be in the European AD's until September at the earliest and I know of at least half a dozen guys who are on waiting lists in various corners of the planet so we'll just have to wait and see who gets them first...and which countries Rolex gives priority to...

I reckon the new DeepSea looks fantastic, especially at www.rolex.com where it is being showcased. The list of new features (including the slightly domed crystal, ceramic bezel, advanced bracelet and blue lume to name just a few) and design improvements (CG's, titanium etc) combine with seriously advanced engineering that allows exposure to such incredible pressures (not that anyone will ever get even remotely close to these depths of course) to produce a watch that might become a modern classic.

And the price -