When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Superocean Heritage - loose bezel?

Hi all,

Well, I recently received my long awaited Superocean Heritage..........and wow, stunning, what a watch!!

But, there was a slight flaw, so I returned the watch to my dealer, and after inspecting it he informed me that he doesn't actually consider this to be a flaw, but he is willing to swap it for another.

The problem is that the bezel has some 'play' in it - you can move it about 1-2mm about the horizontal plane, i.e. if you have the watch sat flat in your hand, face up, then apply light pressure to the side of the bezel, it moves. Now, I realise that there are differences from brand to brand in how a rotating bezel might feel, at least in terms of the simple mechanical resistance, but I would expect that essentially they would all share common design elements, at least insofar as the bezel mechanism is concerned; this is certainly true of my UPO and noobmariners.

So the question is, is it just me? Am I missing something here, or is this how the Heritage should feel? :huh: If yes, then it's not a flaw that I can live with, and I'll be asking for a different watch from my dealer as a replacement.

i had a heritage and there was some play, but not like you described (1-2mm). 2mm is quite big when you think

about it when talking about the play of a bezel. i think yours might have been flawed if it really had 2mm of play.

the gen, of course would be tight and have little to no play...if thats what your asking.

There are a number of small tensioning screws on the side of the bezel. Have you tightned them?

I just got my SO Heritage and love its look. It is very close to the gen, to my untrained eye. However, I too have noticed the bezel slop, although not the 2mm mentioned above. Still, it doesn't "feel gen" as one reviewer here wrote, not by a longshot. Will these tensioning screws really work or are they merely cosmetic? I'll give it a try because I don't want to unload what is otherwise a wonderful watch. If it doesn't work, is there a member here who fixes this?

The only other problem I detect on this watch is that the lume dots are not precisely or consistently filled with lume. Some of the border lines are visible. Is this something that re-luming can address? Is it even worth it?

Incidentally, mine is the ETA version with sapphire crystal.

Edited by 12BGT350

I just got my SO Heritage and love its look. It is very close to the gen, to my untrained eye. However, I too have noticed the bezel slop, although not the 2mm mentioned above. Still, it doesn't "feel gen" as one reviewer here wrote, not by a longshot. Will these tensioning screws really work or are they merely cosmetic? I'll give it a try because I don't want to unload what is otherwise a wonderful watch. If it doesn't work, is there a member here who fixes this?

The only other problem I detect on this watch is that the lume dots are not precisely or consistently filled with lume. Some of the border lines are visible. Is this something that re-luming can address? Is it even worth it?

Incidentally, mine is the ETA version with sapphire crystal.

Believe me when I say the screws around the side of the bezel do NOTHING.

So , it will not work by tightening them , I , am finding a problem removing the bezel, to tighten it.

There is a hexagonal circlip situated in the bezel, which once accessed is a simple job of tightening the whole bezel.

Impossible, certainly not.

As far as "unloading " it goes , just have a bit of patience and hang in there.

The lume job is relativley straightforward in skilled hands, if YOU feel it is worth it.

Meanwhile , fill in your time with the search button, then you will see you are not alone. :D

Guest carlsbadrolex

I just received mine today... Maybe I have been smiled upon by the Rep Gods, but mine appears to be perfect. The bezel is tight with no slop at all, the bezel insert aligns perfectly, the watch has been accurate to +1 second in the last 9 hours, and it was delivered only 2 days from payment being sent.

Tomorrow off to the AD to see a gen.

OK.

This is the last I will write about bezels.

The Rolex sub/Omega SM/ Breitling Superocean Heritage, ALL have the SAME bezel clicking assembly.

The main difference as far as the Breitling SH, is that, it is an absolute bastard to remove. Forget the outer screws, they do

nothing apart from look nice.

Anyone that wants to try it , at least do a SEARCH on BEZEL, first.

This link will inform you of what to do , once you get your BSOH bezel off.

READ the WHOLE post to see just what problems members have had, then see the outcome.

I havn`t posted pics because they are the same as in the link, except one bezel is brass, the other is SS.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=69639&st=0

The bezel isn`t just tight on the watch case , its almost rivited. ( on mine anyway ).

If not removed equally all round, you will end up seriously distorting it. i.e. bending the crap out of it .

THE CRITICAL PART IN TIGHTENING THESE BEZELS IS THAT WIRE HEXAGONAL TENSIONER.

IT PUTS FRICTION ON THE CASE BODY, JUST BELOW THE CRYSTAL.

If there is a lot of play between the crystal and the most inner part of the turning bezel, you are in trouble.

Please believe me this mf of a bezel is one a$$hole to remove.

The best of luck.

I just received mine today... Maybe I have been smiled upon by the Rep Gods, but mine appears to be perfect. The bezel is tight with no slop at all, the bezel insert aligns perfectly, the watch has been accurate to +1 second in the last 9 hours, and it was delivered only 2 days from payment being sent.

Tomorrow off to the AD to see a gen.

how are the lume dots?

Guest carlsbadrolex

I just returned from the AD and have to say that I am QUITE impressed with the quality of this replica. We all know that the strap is crap, that the markings on the Breitling leather straps arent even close to what we get on the reps.

The size, fit and finish of the case are nearly spot on. The bezel is much smoother on the genuine, but this is also to be expected as I think they use a completely different system for ratcheting.

The dial is a pretty good copy, and the lume dots are almost identical. I had originally thought that the lume dots on the replica were quite odd. That they appeared to be just tiny mounds of lume dropped on to a circle of white paint. BUT, this is exactly how they appear on the genuine also. The genuine "mounds" are slightly more rounded and not as conical as the ones on the replica.

I am also very impressed with the lume quality for a replica. Last night I had several replicas under my desk lamp, and when I turned the lamp out, the SOH was by far the brightest of them. It also lasted the longest.

Today I was allowed to see the lume quality of the gen and as we would expect, no comparison.

I think a does of SuperLume on this dial would do it good.

The last comparison I would make is the AR. Although the AR on the replica is acceptable... its again not even close to the gen. A D.A.R from one of our members and she would be perfect.

SO, the mod list has been created (if I can take it off long enough). Double AR and a re-lume. I am going to look in to having an eta 7750 installed as this is the movement that the Breitling is based on. I have access to a genuine Breitling rotor, so that may end up in here also.

I ordered a genuine rubber strap and buckle today which should be in on Friday.

I will post pics when I get it.

@rodwc - We're not worthy :notworthy: .....truly, you are the Bezelmeister :1a:

Seriously though, a big thanks for clarifying the bezel mounting system, and how to mod it to remove the slop :thumbsupsmileyanim:

@cbr - I've also been to my local AD, and I must admit I'm very close to buying the gen, (just need to convince the wife), however I do agree that with k222/chieftang double AR and a The Zigmeister lume it would be up there as a super-rep. Had planned to pick up a gen rubber strap and dep buckle in the near future, but having a hard time trying to justify (to myself) spending

I must agree about the quality of the rep to the gen.

I recently tried on a gen with the blue dial. I examined the case and dial pretty closely and I was very impressed with the accuracy of my rep. However I too, have had problems with my bezel being way to loose. So it seems it runs with this rep version. On the gen the bezel was smooth, but much harder to turn than the rep.

I am waiting for a rep version of the new Breitling rubber bracelet and SS Clasp. I think that would be a great next step with this watch.

I doubt I would spend the money for addtional lume and AR. For my money both are completely acceptable on my rep. But I would recommend that the CN eta movement be serviced.

For 250.00 the Heritage is a great watch.

SO, the mod list has been created (if I can take it off long enough). Double AR and a re-lume. I am going to look in to having an eta 7750 installed as this is the movement that the Breitling is based on. I have access to a genuine Breitling rotor, so that may end up in here also.

I ordered a genuine rubber strap and buckle today which should be in on Friday.

I will post pics when I get it.

Did you get a previously unknown chrono rep or am I really confused? The gen does not use a 7750 for the standard SOH, the model I have as reviewed by Seadweller has the same ETA movement in the rep as the gen (unless talking about the cheaper asian version that is).

Guest carlsbadrolex
Did you get a previously unknown chrono rep or am I really confused? The gen does not use a 7750 for the standard SOH, the model I have as reviewed by Seadweller has the same ETA movement in the rep as the gen (unless talking about the cheaper asian version that is).

Ya know, I was mistaken... I was reading the article about the chrono that has the 7750. The non chrono uses the Breitling 17 which is a 2824-2

I took out my crystal today and hope to see a difference with new Cheiftang AR on this watch.

While the AR is good on this watch, it is too blue , almost like they are applying AR but also a blue hue which is too strong. Maybe it is just me but it looks strange with the black dial.

Hope to post pics once complete, already have it on a gen black croc (so much better . stiffer than the plasticy feeling rep croc strap).

I agree lume on this rep is quite good for a rep,not positive if lume color is 100% accurate but personally I would not pay for a relume on this.

Think the bezel could be a little tighter,seems a little too easy to move.

Add me to the group that would buy an Ocean Racer deployant strap in a heartbeat if available, butI have said the same thing about an HBB bracelet and IWC CD bracelet for a longtime and that has gotten me nowhere.

Cheers,

M

• 9 months later...

Sorry to revive an old subject but I was wondering if anyone has managed to get the bezel off an SOH? Mine is not lining up correctly and I wanted to get in there to "see what I can see" but don't want to risk damage by using to much force. :bangin:

Overall the bezel on mine is a little odd. Curious to know if others are the same. Started out that the triangular mark on the bezel would not line up at 12. It lands either a little ahead or a little behind of 12 from one click to the next. To see if I could figure out where the discrepancy was I looked at other alignment cues on the outside of the watch. The insert seems aligned with the bezel OK (ticks at 5, 15, 25, 35, 45 55 are pretty much in line with the screws around the outside of the bezel). I also noticed that from one click to the next the screws were not centered between the lugs (same issue as at 12). This led me to believe that the mechanism may need "adjustment". Then while rotating the bezel all the way around I noticed that the triangle mark lands perfectly at 15 and 45 positions but not 12 and 6. :g: So then I counted the number of clicks...only 110. Odd number. Anyone else have an SOH like this?