When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Will a gen bezel fit a rep 16233/16234?

llsteve80

I agree w/ w.genzo. I had a couple of rep cases and couldn't make anything gen fit in them (didn't try the tube and crown).

Rep dial is 1mm bigger, case is slightly larger, also. That's why I built two frankens- a little more expensive, but well worth it.

I agree with Alligoat -- For only about twice the cost of a good DJ rep, you can construct a franken with a gen dial, case, crystal & crown/tube that will put any rep to shame. Although prices are heading higher, you can still find some gen cases with gen dials being sold in the $250 range. And the difference in look, fit & feel of a franken is well worth the additional cost for a watch that also gives you the option to 'upgrade' to a gen movement to complete the transition (if you choose to do so) at some time in the future.

Some replica DJ cases will accept genuine crystals and bezels but most will not.

I have a few replica DJ cases with oem spec sapphire crystals and genuine or aftmkt gold or steel bezels fitted on them but like I said...most will not work.

Measure the case neck...if it is 29.5mm, genuine parts will work.

Btw...the cases I have that work with genuine parts are the infamous 'monarch polfy/gelena shitinerand' cases, some with reference and serial numbers, some without. Some cases have a groove cut in them for case clamps and some do not.

You can cut case clamp slots in a case using a Dremel tool and a cutoff wheel. I use a battery powered Dremel tool to start the grooves and finish with a house current tool. Put the dial and movement in the case, line it up with 3 at the case tube, and mark the case where you want the grooves cut (one on each side). If you miss the spot a little bit you may have to file slots in the movement spacer so the clamps will reach the slots.

If you have a lathe with a 3 jaw or 4 jaw chuck...you can clamp the case in the lathe and cut a case clamp groove in the case using a Dremel tool or a tool bit. I use a Dremel because I never took the time to make a tool bit for the job. 'WW' type (watchmaker) lathes with a bezel chuck will also work.

tip: You can press an old bezel upside down on the watch (using an acrylic crystal) for a solid mount when cutting case clamp grooves. I use an old bezel with a slight taper cut inside it so it will start easily upside down. (acrylic and sapphire case necks are about the same size so an acrylic 135 crystal will work on a sapphire case)

You can also use an acrylic crystal without a bezel and rely on the clamping force of the lathe jaws to hold the crystal on the case. Put a thick rag on the lathe bed to protect the case if it falls off.

Always run the case on low speed.

note: Some cases will have a step with a slightly larger od on the crystal neck down next to the case but just above the step it is 29.5mm. Be careful not to press the crystal gasket down over the step because the bezel will be too tight and sometimes ruin the gasket.

What's worse is if the crystal gasket slips down over the step on one side and the bezel gets crooked and chips the crystal when you press it down. Be careful pressing the bezel down over the gasket.